Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Some unsettling but incredible art I just found

Started by Dr Syntax Head, May 22, 2017, 12:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

http://www.simonstalenhag.se

I just... I can't even fathom how this guy did this. Simply amazing. The attention to detail is beyond. I can't stop looking at this stuff.

Glebe

Fabulous! Really beautiful work.. somebody make this into a movie!

I was just Googling fantasy/science fiction art earlier and all. Have imaginary Karma, Dr. S.

NoSleep

Odd, because I came across another enigmatic artist (courtesy of WeTransfer's backdrops) working in a similar medium only last week:

https://www.astronautdinosaur.com/

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: NoSleep on May 22, 2017, 01:04:56 AM
Odd, because I came across another enigmatic artist (courtesy of WeTransfer's backdrops) working in a similar medium only last week:

https://www.astronautdinosaur.com/

Thank you for this. I really love this kind of thing. Like a future that's not so full on you can't imagine it but a very real close future that our children might see. I didn't explain that well. You know, that part sci fi part realism thing.

Dr Syntax Head

I love the crashed Major Tom plane painting. So good

Shay Chaise

Not much to add but this is unbelievably good, every painting suggests so much that you can't help but imagine the back story.

NoSleep

Yeah, the paintings from the OP seem to follow a narrative, like beautifully rendered storyboards or perhaps a graphic novel minus the dialogue.

greenman

Reminds me of the very start of that Ghilbi music video with the massive industrial tech looming over more normal scenes...

https://vimeo.com/15103971

Abrams lifted that idea much more directly for some shots in his first Trek film.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 22, 2017, 05:44:51 AM
Thank you for this. I really love this kind of thing. Like a future that's not so full on you can't imagine it but a very real close future that our children might see. I didn't explain that well. You know, that part sci fi part realism thing.

From Scott Listfield's website:

QuoteI paint astronauts and, sometimes, dinosaurs.

Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey was released in 1968, well before I was born, so I have no firsthand knowledge of how it was received. I don't know if people really believed we'd be living in space in 2001, if we'd have robot butlers and flying cars, geodesic lunar homes, and genetically reconstituted dinosaurs helping or eating us. But from Lost in Space to the Jetsons to Jurassic Park, it seems that popular culture has fostered this space-age perception of the future. Generations raised on these TV shows, movies, comic books, and novels are now grown and living in a future filled with mini vans, Starbucks, iPads, and Hip Hop videos. In many ways, the year 2001 failed to live up to expectations. And yet the world today is peculiar in ways unimagined in 1957, when Sputnik was launched, or in 1968, when 2001 was released, or even in 1994, at the dawn of the internet. The present is in fact a very unusual place, and it's strangest in the ubiquity of things we take for granted.

The astronaut in my paintings is simply here to explore the present.

mothman

Stalenhag is great.

This sort of thing also reminds me of the short film Wanderers, by Erik Wernquist. It's worth a watch if you've never seen it before. The ending gets me every time.

Norton Canes

They're good. They remind me of the art for the board game Scythe, and also the work of Peter Elson.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: mothman on May 22, 2017, 10:00:06 AM
Stalenhag is great.

This sort of thing also reminds me of the short film Wanderers, by Erik Wernquist. It's worth a watch if you've never seen it before. The ending gets me every time.

That is so cool! Sagan's involved which will always pique my interest

mothman

The original version didn't have the Sagan narration and initially I wasn't sure about it, but it grew on me.

amnesiac

Amazing, I could lose a whole day going through his stuff. I'd love to get that one of the massive Deadmaus type character knackered on a bridge (Incident On The Edge Of Town) on an actual print - its got these wonderful shoes on. They also print them on aluminum which has to be awesome.

Morrison Lard

Yowzers. That is one incredible talent.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do water and lighting quite like it.

hewantstolurkatad

Didn't bother reading the comments before diving in and legit assumed this was a thread making fun of some dreadful shite so when I was scrolling through I was really confused.

Not too pushed on sci-fi/dystopian stuff but this guy has one hell of an eye and there's some lovely touches to the texture of just about everything.

NoSleep

There's a vibe akin to Tarkovsky's Stalker about them.

Norton Canes

Most of them look like concept sketches for Chemical Brothers videos.

Hey, they're big images. That's my desktop wallpapers sorted. 

Neville Chamberlain

Bloody heck, mate, thanks. I'd seen some of his artwork a while back, but not "The Full Monty", as it were!

Brundle-Fly

The Masked Unit

Did you come across this on neogaf by any chance, Dr Syntax Head? There was a thead there about a week ago about games you'd like to see based on various illustrators' work. There was lots of good stuff but this was by far my favourite. I intend to take a much closer look at his stuff when I can find the time.

The Masked Unit

He's got a couple books on amazon - might treat myself.

batwings

Pretty incredible stuff Really gets the imagination going.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Looking at the first one, I thought it was simply a photo, with the sci-fi bits rendered in CGI. I'm still not entirely convinced it isn't that, just with a photoshop paintbrush filter added. Even if that were the case, it would still be mindmeltingly good work.

Bingo Fury

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 22, 2017, 07:20:34 PM
Looking at the first one, I thought it was simply a photo, with the sci-fi bits rendered in CGI. I'm still not entirely convinced it isn't that, just with a photoshop paintbrush filter added. Even if that were the case, it would still be mindmeltingly good work.

Hmm, yeah, was just reading about the guy. "Stålenhag produces his paintings digitally using a computer and digital drawing board, in a style that mimics oil or acrylic painting." Isn't that kind of cheating?