Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:09:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Some unsettling but incredible art I just found

Started by Dr Syntax Head, May 22, 2017, 12:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Quote from: Blumf on May 25, 2017, 12:11:26 AM
It's the 80s, wifi hadn't been invented yet.

i didn't know it was set in the 80s, i did wonder why the cars didn't look all snazzy though

edit: new page there

mothman

It's all very puzzling. Some seemed to have stayed hooked up to the VR till they died. Others are tethered to giant robots and either herded like cattle, or are part of some gestalt shared consciousness. They seem to be tolerated and condoned by the authorities. Why is cartoon imagery everywhere, even on the war machines? Shades of that Black Mirror s2 ep. There's some sort of danger - the girl and her robot try to avoid these things, and later are openly armed. Who is the person she rescues at the end? Does she know him/her?

Dr Syntax Head

I read somewhere that it's likely the aftermath of an alien invasion where humans have adopted the alien tech with disastrous results. these paintings (digi paintings) show the world sometime after the invasion, which doesn't seem to have been so much malevolent as a kind of just wanting to live with humans on Earth. Despite some of those machine's being obviously military.

The procession of be-helmetted people on the road is haunting. It does seem that the helmet in some way sucks the life from a human.

Mr_Simnock

Dull as dishwater even though it's technically good. Set in the 80's? doesn't feel it at all.

mothman

*** BUMP ***

I saw something today that reminded me of Stalenhag's work, so I thought I'd share.

This is a Jersey Round Tower. I've always been fascinated by these. They're a gorgeous design, the slightly tapered tower with the four bumps (called machicolations) spaced regularly around the top. It's hard to believe they date from the 1780s! This design was virtually obsolete by the time they were built, and the later Martello towers were far better suited to countering advances in artillery and rocketry.

And it's the above image that brings it home to me. They look like could be newer than the conventional house built alongside. I can easily imagine them as some kind of shield generator pylon or tower, ready to join together in throwing up a protective force field over the island. Or with a huge, powerful ion cannon on top (like the Rebels' laser turrets on Hoth - I wonder if they were an inspiration?).

Dex Sawash

gilbertharding

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 23, 2017, 02:47:42 PM
Sadly, you are (or were) far from alone in that way of thinking. People hear the word 'computer' and think that's all there is to it - as if the artist needs to do nothing more than click on the appropriate menu.

Oh God - I'm reminded of an absolutely bewildering conversation I had with an old woman at a trade fair where my company (I work for an architect) was exhibiting.

"Do you do drawings, still?"
"Yes, we use CAD."

Followed by an almost interminable back-and-forth which I'm sure she thought was at cross purposes about what 'a drawing' is and isn't. Actually, we don't even use CAD anymore (well, I do - because I'm old) - we use 'information modelling systems', and we generate drawings (if someone happens to need a drawing) from that.