Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,194
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians on "soaps"

Started by Quincey, May 22, 2017, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

Vic Reeves is joining Coronation Street to make it worth watching. Peter Kay and Norman Wisdom were also on the show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39998350

What other comedians have been on soap operas?

Glebe

Bobby Davro on Enders. Oh and come to think of it, Mike Reid!

Serge

Sean Hughes was in 'Coronation Street'. Craig Charles is best known outside of the Street for a comedy role, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and Brian Conley, before he became the televisual polymath he is these days. (That's not meant to be taking the piss, I like Conley!)

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Serge on May 22, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
EDIT: Oh, and Brian Conley, before he became the televisual polymath he is these days. (That's not meant to be taking the piss, I like Conley!)

Bradley Walsh?

Les Dennis was also in Coronation Street recently I believe.

armful

Quote from: Glebe on May 22, 2017, 09:59:05 PM
Bobby Davro on Enders. Oh and come to think of it, Mike Reid!

I read mike Reid biography was quite good. Enders has form for stand ups in it's show . The guy who played Minty , Ricky Grover  errm Shane Ritchie

Jittlebags

John Shuttleworth - erm Graham Fellowes were on

Gulftastic

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on May 22, 2017, 10:28:37 PM
Bradley Walsh?

Les Dennis was also in Coronation Street recently I believe.

He was. Poor sod had to shag both Eileen and Gail.

Death was sweet release.

thenoise

Was Skins a soap?  Everyone's mum and dad was a famous comedian or comic actor - Harry Enfield, Josie Lawrence, Bill Bailey, Fiona Allen, Mark Heap, Nina Wadia etc.

imitationleather

Peter Kay was in Coronation Street (which seems to be the soap which uses comedians most, as it's the most comfortable doing comedy) for a few episodes, playing a character one of the regulars goes on a blind date with.

The Duck Man

David Walliams played a hapless fake registrar employed by Alfie Moon (Shane Richie) in the Christmas 2003 episodes of EastEnders. Picking out stars of 70/80s sitcoms, Karl Howman (Brush Strokes) did a two-year spell ending last year, while June Whitfield (Terry and June, obv) cropped up a couple of times a few years ago playing a nun who delivered Kat Slater's twins (the lead-in to their current BBC One spin-off). And there's a stand-up called Charlie Baker who did a guest stint last year.

Extending out to serial dramas, Adrian Edmonson was on Holby City for a time.

Quote from: thenoise on May 22, 2017, 11:26:14 PM
Was Skins a soap?  Everyone's mum and dad was a famous comedian or comic actor - Harry Enfield, Josie Lawrence, Bill Bailey, Fiona Allen, Mark Heap, Nina Wadia etc.
No, just a drama - Nina Wadia was on EastEnders between 2007 and 2013, mind - and her on-screen partner was played by Nitin Ganatra, who has played a number of comedy roles (as has his on-screen brother, played by Phaldut Sharma).

Re: Skins, I always wondered what the writers had on that generation of comedians/comedy actors to have them appear in what was pretty mediocre fare. I suppose it was quite zeitgest-y, and I imagine the money was alright.

Penfold

Alun Cochrane was on Coronation Street last year. It surprised me. It should have been Emmerdale.

Captain Z

Not strictly a comedian, but David Cann played a doctor in one episode of Eastenders.

MuteBanana

Josie Lawrence did EastEnders as well. Helen Lederer has been in Hollyoaks.

Going the other way a young actress called Kylie Babbington appeared in EastEnders and has since formed a comedy duo act. But who cares. Which reminds me Katy Carmichael who played Twist in Spaced and was part of a comedy act with Jessica Stevenson, played one of Peter Barlow's wives in Coronation Street.

Mr Banlon

Tameka Empson from 3 Non Blondes is in Enders at the moment.
Terry Alderton who did the pisstake Danny Dire was in Enders at the same time as Danny Dyer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfcnAvx7fc8

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Captain Z on May 23, 2017, 01:50:04 AM
Not strictly a comedian, but David Cann played a doctor in one episode of Eastenders.

He prescribed crack to Phil Mitchell.

Tony Yeboah

Tim Vine had a cameo in Neighbours, as did Lucas and Walliams as Lou and Andy. Julian Clary did as well- he was less than compimentary about Harold. He was bashing the Bishop.

Serge

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on May 22, 2017, 10:28:37 PM
Bradley Walsh?

Jesus, I must have been tired when I wrote my post last night! Yes, that's who I meant. I like Bradley Walsh so much I can't even get his name right. Sorry, Brad.

poodlefaker

Peter Cook was in Crossroads for six months in 1979, playing Jeremy Flyte, suave manager of the Arden Manor Country Hotel, who took a shine to the young Jill Chance.

the science eel

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 23, 2017, 11:38:45 AM
Peter Cook was in Crossroads for six months in 1979, playing Jeremy Flyte, suave manager of the Arden Manor Country Hotel, who took a shine to the young Jill Chance.

I see no other mention of this anywhere on the net.

Lovely idea, tho'.

MuteBanana

French and Saunders apparently appeared in the background of EastEnders dressed up as two old women browsing the market. That might be an urban legend.

Richard Blackwood is currently in EastEnders playing husband to Tameka Epsom(mentioned above)'s character.

Gulftastic

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 23, 2017, 01:10:08 PM

Richard Blackwood is currently in EastEnders playing husband to Tameka Epsom(mentioned above)'s character.

'Comedians'.

Brundle-Fly

Max Wall was in Corrie, Crossroads and Emmerdale.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 23, 2017, 05:41:22 PM
'Comedians'.

*shrugs* He gigs.

I wonder what it is though about comedians that seem attractive to soaps. Perhaps its that they're a safe pair of hands in front of the camera, working with people. Natural performers too. Less likely to be looking elsewhere for acting work so they're reliable for long term roles.

Quincey

They'll get people to watch who don't usually watch these shows and might get some more hooked.

phantom_power

Shane Ritchie of course

And Duncan Norvell in Albion Market, obv

MuteBanana

Quote from: Quincey on May 23, 2017, 06:40:38 PM
They'll get people to watch who don't usually watch these shows and might get some more hooked.

Yeah. Must be easier to attract a well known face, like Lee Ryan from Blue who was just in EastEnders, than "proper" actors. Mind you soap wouldn't work if it was full of people more famous for other roles.

poodlefaker

Cook is said to have relished the role but the storyline proved unpopular with viewers and, to his chagrin, ATV declined to extend his contract. No recordings survived and his widow Lin later claimed he never mentioned his sojourn in the West Midlands to her.

dr beat

Not really 'comedians' perhaps, but still, don't forget Amelia Bullmore began with a major role in Corrie (Steph Barlow I think?) And then there's Tracy Ann Oberman who went from Eastenders to shagging Steven Toast.

Serge

Quote from: dr beat on May 23, 2017, 09:03:53 PM(Steph Barlow I think?)

Steph Barnes. Married to Des. God, I used to really love 'Coronation Street'.

Twit 2

Eddie Murphy played Norris on Corrie until his demise.
Leslie Nielsen fisted the male extras on Emmerdale to keep morale up.
Charlie Chaplin played Toadfish on Neighbours.
Ricky Gervais appears in a late night Hollyoaks episode as a dwindling pile of sick outside a nightclub.