Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians on "soaps"

Started by Quincey, May 22, 2017, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Serge on May 23, 2017, 09:08:51 PM
Steph Barnes. Married to Des. God, I used to really love 'Coronation Street'.

Aye. That was a golden era.

Eee.. Ashley lad, it's a new page, I say it's a new page. Not in this world. Think on. Etc

Bronzy

Terry Alderton was in EastEnders IIRC.

petril

Andy Cameron had a run in Take The High Road at one point

Sebastian Cobb

Jeff Rawle was in Hollyoaks.

bobloblaw

Quote from: The Duck Man on May 22, 2017, 11:57:04 PM

Re: Skins, I always wondered what the writers had on that generation of comedians/comedy actors to have them appear in what was pretty mediocre fare. I suppose it was quite zeitgest-y, and I imagine the money was alright.

Bryan Elsley, who co-created Skins with his son Jamie Brittain, is close pals with Harry Enfield, which presumably opened the doors to others.

The two of them now run a production company, Balloon.

Mr Banlon

Paul Truman from Eastenders was also in Glam Metal Detectives.
And he did this in the 80s : https://youtu.be/7A2OGtPsujM?t=1754 

MuteBanana

He was also a series regular in Operation Good Guys in series 1.

And Rudolph Walker who plays his Dad Patrick Trueman, and still in the show, was in The Thin Blue Line.

This thread has just reminded me of my EastEnders connection post in the Bottom thread. Something like 17 actors appeared in Bottom who went on to be series regulars in the soap.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Rudolph Walker was also in top racist sit com " Love Thy Neigbour", lest we forget.

Mr Banlon

Dr Robert Winston played the Spaniard in Mind Your Language

Mark X

Paul Bradley (aka Nigel Bates in 'Stenders) featured in The Young Ones, Bottom ("Christ, you've got a fat bottom"), Red Dwarf and a smattering of Comic Strips Presentses.

Plus, Nigel Planer featured in an episode of The Bill (and I was sure Christopher Ryan did as well, but IMDB says otherwise. But he was in an episode of forgotten medical drama Angels).

Michael Palin in Home and Away, of course.

Dr Magus

Laurel and Hardy had a cameo in Brookside where they had to carry the Jordache's patio up a long flight of steps.

Morrison Lard

Gareth Hale was in the how-the-fuck-did-it-last-eight-years channel 5 flagshit production Family Affairs.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

David Cann, the crazed doctor from Jam, appeared in EastEnders as a plumber electrician doctor.

selectivememory

I think David Cann was in Eastenders.

Morrison Lard

Gareth Hale was in Family Affairs

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Hold on, are we expected to post AND read what other people have written before us? Fuck that noise.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm going to take this opportunity to give Black_ Bart a right old imaginary Karma-ing for his top suggestion of Billy Crystal. A good effort, there. The spirit of Roddy McDowell would be proud.

( got the theme tune stuck in me 'ead, now.)

MuteBanana

Sad news today that Roy Barraclough has died. He played Alec Gilroy for 'ucking years on Coronation Street. He was also of course famous for his comedy work alongside Les Dawson.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: MuteBanana on June 01, 2017, 11:02:16 AM
Sad news today that Roy Barraclough has died. He played Alec Gilroy for 'ucking years on Coronation Street. He was also of course famous for his comedy work alongside Les Dawson.

Prior to being associated with comedic roles, Barraclough was a lead in a soap and more of a dramatic actor.

He also stole the show in an ill-fated Sherlock Holmes musical, playing Watson to Robert Powell's Holmes.

Black_Bart

QuoteI'm going to take this opportunity to give Black_ Bart a right old imaginary Karma-ing for his top suggestion of Billy Crystal.

I'm afraid it's wasted on me. If they're a poor boy in the joint, let him have my point. As Bob Dylan didn't sing.

Not a soap, but something I like to watch, and a bit of trivia I like to post: Rob Reiner is in an episode of the Rockford Files. He's fucking great in it. (Kinda like Marti's made cousin).

MuteBanana

Always felt James Buckley is just wasting time until EastEnders casts him as a distant cousin of Alfie Moon or Frank Butcher's long lost son. Though that Rock and Chips gig was going to be the final stepping stone.

MuteBanana

Dan Tetsell was in Hollyoaks for about 2 years.

Captain Z

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 25, 2017, 06:09:23 PM
Gareth Hale was in Family Affairs

Who knew that years later we'd see him in a famous double act with Ronalado.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 23, 2017, 06:52:30 PM
Yeah. Must be easier to attract a well known face, like Lee Ryan from Blue who was just in EastEnders, than "proper" actors. Mind you soap wouldn't work if it was full of people more famous for other roles.

Surely it would be cheaper and better for the soap to get a 'proper' actor whose face is unknown?  It'll always be the guy from boyzone or blue, whereas Kat Slater or Phil Mitchell are basically bound to their characters.

I always think the same for the recording of cartoon voices as well.  David Cross paid his mortgage doing voices for some kids movie.  I suppose at least if you pay David Cross to voice a film part, you can send him out to promote the movie.

But for a soap it really seems bizarre all round.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Mark X on May 24, 2017, 09:28:38 PM
Michael Palin in Home and Away, of course.

Ok so I don't know what's a joke any more in this thread.  Palin actually was in Home & Away!

Playing a surfer, no less!  I remember seeing that on TV at the time (1996, I think) and being absolutely stunned!  I even watched the repeat in the evening to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Andy147

Quote from: goinggoinggone on June 08, 2017, 07:52:46 PM
Playing a surfer, no less!  I remember seeing that on TV at the time (1996, I think) and being absolutely stunned!  I even watched the repeat in the evening to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

It was one of the random things he did in the Australia/New Zealand episode of "Full Circle".