Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:11:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Manchester Arena incident

Started by Ambient Sheep, May 22, 2017, 11:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow

Quote from: royce coolidge on May 25, 2017, 07:19:12 PM
She probably liked what they did to Cromwells corpse after the restoration,and thinks it stopped Republican rebellion,could it work for Jihadists.

They left him in a gibbet didn't they? To rot?

Wow I know something about history.

Hollow

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 25, 2017, 07:19:48 PM
Finally, Tony Bellow has weighed in on the situation - calling for the return of hanging, and the introduction of public stonings. So basically what he wants is Sharia law to sort out all these Islamic nonces. Seems reasonable enough to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QTXhlbLlPs

Thought I'd quote you to save your comment being buried by my surprise that I know something.

Nothing to add apart from it's pretty dumb.

mobias

Has anything more been seen or heard from Ariana Grande herself? As a performer I'm not sure how you'd ever recover from something like this. I wonder if she's even still in Manchester.

hamfist

She cancelled remaining Europe tour dates and went home. Some stories she visited injured & families of victims, rumours she wants to pay for funerals.

I hope not but it sounds like she feels somehow guilty about this. Ah. Poor kid.

Happier times

JoeyBananaduck

Wholesome. Would you know it , there are some who accuse Dan Schneider of being a dirty perv. But where, I say, where is the evidence??

mobias

Quote from: hamfist on May 25, 2017, 08:25:05 PM

I hope not but it sounds like she feels somehow guilty about this. Ah. Poor kid.

Yeah definitely. Its probably understandable that she would feel some sort of guilt but if it wasn't her gig then it would have been Justin Bieber or some other teen pop star.

The whole thing is so horrific in a way thats really difficult to get your head round.  I suppose this has been the first big UK terror attack in the age of social media. Its all very difficult to compute.

Icehaven

Quote from: hamfist on May 25, 2017, 08:25:05 PM
She cancelled remaining Europe tour dates and went home. Some stories she visited injured & families of victims, rumours she wants to pay for funerals.

I feel sorry for her.

Dr Rock

Martin Degville doesn't

QuoteListen ----
Ariana Grande is an adult
She is an international pop star and celebrity
that comes with RESPONSIBILITY
You DO NOT leave a murder scene and jump on a private jet leave the country and then twitter i'm BROKEN
Sorry but that is not good enuff in my book
So if you cant see or read what i am saying then please de friend me or skip to someone else.
I think if MADONNA - LADY GA GA - PINK or ANYONE acted in this manner - well i leave the rest to your imagination
If anyone was injured at any of my shows i would be the 1st person out there lookin out for them.
Thanks for reading this and please dont bother to reply cos i am no longer interested.

Thanks

MARTIN

QuoteMartin Degville ARE YOU FIRKIN KIDDIN ME?? IF YOU ARE BIG ENUFF TO BE A POP STAR - TRAVEL THE WORLD AND PLAY TO 20-000 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT THEN YOU SURELY MUST HAVE THE BALLS TO SPEND 2 MINUTES ON TV AND SHOW NOT ONLY THE PEOPLE THAT SUFFERED - A CITY AND WHATS HAPPENIN GLOBAL WISE SOME COMPASSION AND PERHAPS EVEN SOME SOLIDARITY - SO TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT YOUSELF B4 POINTING FIGERS AT ME - I DO BELIEVE IN FREEDOM OD SPEECH U KNOW AND WHAT I SAY IS NOT INTENDED TO HURT ANYONE - I THINK SHE AND HER RECORD COMPANY AND PR PEOPLE COULD HAVE HANDLED IT BETTER - SO THATS WHAT I THINK AND IM SORRY U DONT LIKE IT SO MOVE ON BRO XXXX

TKO

Quote from: hamfist on May 25, 2017, 08:25:05 PMI hope not but it sounds like she feels somehow guilty about this. Ah. Poor kid.

But that hasn't stopped a cunt from speaking his brains.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/867836315747979264

QuoteI expected better from her. Her fans have been decimated. Stay, visit, comfort.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/867837361635438592

QuoteIt's real. Your fans get murdered & maimed at your concert, I think you should stay, visit & comfort.

Sure, Piers, sure. Bless.

Urinal Cake

Well atleast Piers admits that no one would find his 'stay, visit and comfort' well comforting. Maybe he's off to Syria?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 25, 2017, 04:51:04 PM
No, -1 karma for that. I'm jealous. Of you, obviously. Next you'll be saying you banged Dave Brock. Or rimmed Lemmy.

Well I've told the story on here before of how said ex-partner told Lemmy to fuck off (as well as Simon Le Bon), will that do?

No, I thought it wouldn't.

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 25, 2017, 10:33:13 PM
Martin Degville doesn't

Christ, that name's a blast from the past.

Don't exactly remember him being a soul of compassion to people back in the day, especially if they were young and female (like most of A.G.'s fans).  Wasn't there some sort of nasty incident involving him and a young lady?  Or was that Tony James?  Fairly sure it was Deggers, though.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 25, 2017, 04:51:04 PM
Did Nik's moustache get in the way?

He didn't have a moustache at that particular moment in time.

phantom_power

It is amazing this talent Morgan has for not just being on the wrong side of every argument, but being so far on the wrong side of the argument that even people on his side of the argument think he is a tit

Buelligan

And also managing to look the very apogee of a cunt.

biggytitbo

Arsdehole MP cstegorigically denying, and indeed saying it is offensive, to say terrorism has any link to our foreign policy.

How is that not a form of extremism in itself?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Hollow on May 25, 2017, 07:29:12 PM
Thought I'd quote you to save your comment being buried by my surprise that I know something.

Nothing to add apart from it's pretty dumb.

A classic example of what you'd expect someone who gets punched for a living to say.

Hollow

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 26, 2017, 07:38:54 AM

A classic example of what you'd expect someone who gets punched for a living to say.

I'm sorry I don't understand.

Penny dropped...just woke up sorry. :)

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 26, 2017, 07:36:22 AM
Arsdehole MP cstegorigically denying, and indeed saying it is offensive, to say terrorism has any link to our foreign policy.

How is that not a form of extremism in itself?

Anyone explain Belgium and Sweden?  Anyone?

hamfist

QuoteThe Swedish Air Force committed eight JAS 39 Gripen jets for the international air campaign after being asked by NATO to take part in the operations on 28 March.[132][133] Sweden also sent a Saab 340 AEW&C for airborne early warning and control and a C-130 Hercules for aerial refueling.[134] Sweden was the only country neither a member of NATO nor the Arab League to participate in the no-fly zone.

They've been getting involved too. S'not all ABBA and Volvos up there.

edit - you'll find the trappiste waffle mongers were there too - top of that list

Dr Rock

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on May 26, 2017, 08:40:01 AM

As well as following the link below that shows both countries were involved in Libyan intervention, and that Belgium is a NATO country, you are attempting to disprove a well-evidenced hypothesis based on some exceptions that might not fit the rule. This is a bit like saying 'The allegation is that Jimmy Savile molested a load of kids and messed with cadavers? But I know he once had consensual sex with a 25 year old woman, so explain that!'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2017, 04:17:32 PM
Can I have extra for snogging Nik Turner?

You what!? fucking hell, tell me the story (in PM). I've met him a few times but he never kissed me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2017, 05:12:05 PM
I used to dread minute's silences when I worked in a public library, as inevitably someone would walk in being loud while we were all stood there and there was always a cringe inducing moment when they realised and turned scarlet and half the time scuttled back out of the door never to return. I can't remember if it was someone on here or my Mum that told me about when they were working in a Supermarket and a silence was happening, and some woman was barking some inanities into her mobile, and when they told her what was going on she told them to F off and carried on. Probably the same kind of person that slows down in front of ambulances.

Nah, minutes silences can fuck off. I'd prefer a day's silence. Or eternal silence.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 25, 2017, 07:04:19 PM
It's like the 1980s Tory hard-rightThe Day Today all over again.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 26, 2017, 09:54:55 AM
As well as following the link below that shows both countries were involved in Libyan intervention, and that Belgium is a NATO country, you are attempting to disprove a well-evidenced hypothesis based on some exceptions that might not fit the rule. This is a bit like saying 'The allegation is that Jimmy Savile molested a load of kids and messed with cadavers? But I know he once had consensual sex with a 25 year old woman, so explain that!'

It suits him st present to ascribe the purest of motives to murderous suicide bombers. They're purist, assassinating and mass-murdering for the highest of ideological reasons. Their anger stems from the unique power of the words in their special magic book, ignoring the fact that all the sacred texts of the Abrahamic religions are video-nasty violent.

The only alternatives for him are either to admit that the liberal intervention experiment has been a disastrous failure or to resort to a kind of racism that suggests Muslims themselves are more prone to violence than followers of all the other ones.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on May 26, 2017, 08:40:01 AM

Get a fucking Encyclopaedia.

hamfist

I think another aspect though is that although foreign policy is certainly one driver (and there were several interviews on Radio 4 earlier this week with Manchester Libyans who stated they thought this was the case) - 'western' culture is another.

Even if a country didn't participate in an intervention in a muslim country, ISIS could still consider it a target if it allows 'loose morals' in their opinion. Meaning certain freedoms - especially for young women, 'provocative' music and associated videos, tolerance of things they consider immoral like homosexuality etc. Brazen waffles covered in cream. MEATBALLS FFS.

They have multiple grievances, and interventions - military, economic or political is one, and culture is another.

My thoughts :

I honestly think the 'islamic' context is misleading. I think the underlying motivator for the men who carry out such atrocities is sexual frustration. They won't justify it as that directly, they use religious or political arguments because that is how the frustration arises. Because the context of fundamentalist islam restricts sexual expression, makes it 'dirty and forbidden' and when these men see western cultures - both men and women - freely showing skin, dancing, expressing themselves, singing about what they are taught are 'immoral' things, they get hugely conflicted. Imagine the inner struggle of being secretly sexually aroused by something you are told since you are a child is haram, immoral, dirty, grounds for your god and your family to disown you, even kill you. You'd go nuts, and in particular if you were weak minded and gullible could be manipulated easily and have that frustration directed into a terrible outcome. The stricter parts of islam would benefit from a sexual revolution. I believe these guys are secretly very attracted to what they regard as 'slags' but years of internal sexual conflict has fucked them up badly and they want 'revenge' for a rejection that has happened purely in their heads. That's why it's men doing this - at least outside of the middle east - fucked up failure men who can't deal with that and have done something awful because of it.

ASFTSN

Quote from: hamfist on May 26, 2017, 10:26:04 AM
I think the underlying motivator for the men who carry out such atrocities is sexual frustration.

Always wondered about this but never sure how reductive it is.  Religious blue balls? My instinct is it must have contributed a significant amount to theist conflicts throughout history.

Buelligan

Hmm.  You may have a point.  I tend to believe that men are naturally violent as a group, the seeds are there in many in the first place. 

I think men are placed under a strange, unique to men, sort of pressure to be successful (money, job, fucking, power).  If they don't achieve these things (which are all mirages and utterly trivial as a measure of a soul anyway) many feel they've been cheated and become rather bitter.  They often turn this outwards blaming women, the bosses, other groups (racial or whatevs).  I think they turn it inwards too, which is why there are so many male suicides.

This sense of failure can, if left to flourish, become really very caustic, dangerous and destructive.  I think it's also a reason why a lot of hate crime and sexual violence is done by men.

All an evil minded person with an axe to grind needs to do is speak with these "failed" angry men, arm and point them.