Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm Dying Up Here (produced by Jim Carrey)

Started by zomgmouse, May 23, 2017, 06:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4938700/

QuoteSet in the celebrated and infamous L.A. stand-up comedy scene of the '70s, where the careers of most comedy superstars began

Could be pretty interesting!

a peepee tipi

Really curious about this, Melissa Leo is definitely supposed to be Mitzi Shore. That sort of post-obscenities period of American stand-up is really interesting, but my worry is that it could easily stale with such a focus on the struggles of the business.

SteveDave

Could be as cringe worthy as "Vinyl" was.

The 70s! Buckaroo! Big collars! Punk Rock! Funny hair! Spangles!

hewantstolurkatad

For those who don't know, take it being on showtime as a huge warning sign. They tend to make shows with the sole intention of running them into the ground, it's a total waste of time getting invested in the narrative

Small Man Big Horse

The pilot of this has leaked, just so folks know.

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on May 23, 2017, 02:49:10 PM
For those who don't know, take it being on showtime as a huge warning sign. They tend to make shows with the sole intention of running them into the ground, it's a total waste of time getting invested in the narrative

That's definitely been true in the past, but they brought Penny Dreadful to an end after only three seasons, whilst they had the decency to kill off Masters of Sex before it ran for too long. Plus they're behind the new season of Twin Peaks, which by all accounts will be one and done.

Quote from: SteveDave on May 23, 2017, 12:58:36 PM
Could be as cringe worthy as "Vinyl" was.

The 70s! Buckaroo! Big collars! Punk Rock! Funny hair! Spangles!

I quite liked Vinyl! I mean I know it was ridiculously over the top and silly, but I had a massive soft spot for Ray Romano's character, and a lot of the plotting was so ludicrous that I couldn't help but enjoy it. That all said, I didn't care in the slightest when it was cancelled and it was clearly a deeply flawed piece.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 23, 2017, 04:35:09 PM

That's definitely been true in the past, but they brought Penny Dreadful to an end after only three seasons, whilst they had the decency to kill off Masters of Sex before it ran for too long. Plus they're behind the new season of Twin Peaks, which by all accounts will be one and done.

No clue about Penny Dreadful but Masters of Sex finished because no one was watching it after season one.

...and Twin Peaks is a huge glaring exception. A panic move to make a statement in the face of Netflix bringing back tons of stuff.

Small Man Big Horse

I know they're bad for that (Weeds, Nurse Jackie and Californication all went on for far too long) but I'd like to hope it won't always be the case, especially given how much they've been mocked for such a practice of late.

Just discovered that the pilot didn't leak but was put on youtube by showtime: http://splitsider.com/2017/05/showtime-released-the-im-dying-up-here-pilot-early-this-week/

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 23, 2017, 04:35:09 PM
Plus they're behind the new season of Twin Peaks, which by all accounts will be one and done.

Kyle Maclachlan says otherwise.

a peepee tipi

This was pretty shit. No heart to it, and even with all of the talent involved and source material to wring out, everything, top-down, felt unnatural . I reeallly don't care for Clark Duke. Boosler?-type woman is a total drag. All of the characters are shit, watered down pastiches. Melissa Leo overacts.  The standup bits were uninspired.  Fuck this was shit.