Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:09:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Storage of WD40

Started by Quincey, May 23, 2017, 09:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

How do you store WD40? I bought a can and it is in my bathroom, wondering if it is safer in the shed. Also wondering of the best way to dispose of it as I no longer need it and it is flammable.

im barry bethel

WD40 is a poor man's Plusgas so I don't use it, but if I did I'd store it in the can

momatt

Just store it with the rest of your booze?

Quincey

WD40 cannot be stored at temperatures over 50 degrees Celsius. I assume it never gets that hot in the UK.

NoSleep

Quote from: Quincey on May 23, 2017, 09:11:44 AM
How do you store WD40? I bought a can and it is in my bathroom, wondering if it is safer in the shed. Also wondering of the best way to dispose of it as I no longer need it and it is flammable.

It's always handy to have a can of WD40 so never throw it away. It will last for years and can be used on such things as doors that seem to need slamming to get them to shut (usually a quick spray on the latch of the door lock and it's back to normal). Latches on gates that stop automatically springing shut respond to WD40, too. Squeaky doors, too. Basically gates and doors that need silencing.

Keep it under the kitchen sink.

Blumf

Top tip: Got an old stainless steel sink? Clean it and dry it, then spray with WD40, leave for half an hour, hey-presto! All the years of fat that has been seeping into the steel will be pushed out by the penetrating oil. Clean the disgusting mess away with detergent and repeat the process if desired, you'll now have a nice and shiny sink again!

As for storage, pretty much anywhere cool; under the sink, cupboard under the stairs, shed's okay, so long as it's not too damp.

studpuppet

Google is occasionally your friend:

https://wd40.com/faqs

Worth noting that it's not good as a lubricant on things like bike chains and hinges (unless they're outdoors ones that you've already oiled with normal household oil) because that's not it's job.

Rocket Surgery

Store WD40?!?!

GET THE FUCKER DRANK

Cerys

WD40 is the gentle semen of the gods.  I have a can that I've been carrying around for years in a bag on my wheelchair.  I used a small amount to mend a fidget spinner last week.  The can itself is rusty and ancient.  Conclusion: keep it wherever the fuck you like, apart from in the oven.

NoSleep

Morrison Lard

MuteBanana probably has a decent recipe you can use the remainder of the can in.

Dex Sawash

WD40 is not a great product. The infuriating thing is that it is good enough for a lot of uses, very easy to use and doesn't make a mess. An affront to all who know better. The self-loathing caused by each of the countless squirts in that can is immense. 

Cerys

Blumf

Celestial soggy biscuit

Cerys

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on May 23, 2017, 12:45:33 PM
All the gods.  All of them.

But Neptune is the seaman of the gods.

Cerys

Neptune isn't a seaman.  He's a seagod.  So nyer.

georgetaylor

WD40 is not a lubricant, throw it away right now.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 23, 2017, 12:40:44 PM
WD40 is...An affront to all who know better.

Automatic transmission fluid 50/50 with acetone - selling that premixed would put a dent in WD40's ubiquity as a penetrating oil.

Aldi's got spray cans of white lithium grease on sale at present: a great general purpose household metal-to-metal lubricant.

Mr Brightside

This stuff any good for lubing dog's arses?

im barry bethel

If it's one of these

then I'd recommend this

Mr Brightside

And I'll be able to get a cat up there, yeah?

im barry bethel

No, for that you'll need

Mr Brightside

Quote from: im barry bethel on May 23, 2017, 09:39:22 PM
No, for that you'll need

But isn't that for lubing cats to get mice up?

Mr Banlon

I left a can of WD40 in the garden over the winter and it rusted. The valve didn't depress and it didn't work. I didn't want to throw a 3/4 full can into the trash, so I bought a can of WD40 and squirted some into the valve. It worked a treat.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 23, 2017, 09:40:21 PM
But isn't that for lubing cats to get mice up?

For mice it's

Mr Banlon

Shit. I've just remembered that I've left both cans of WD40 in the garden.

Twed

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 23, 2017, 09:41:21 PM
I left a can of WD40 in the garden over the winter and it rusted. The valve didn't depress and it didn't work. I didn't want to throw a 3/4 full can into the trash, so I bought a can of WD40 and squirted some into the valve. It worked a treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APl0edZ8gI8

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 23, 2017, 09:46:00 PM
Shit. I've just remembered that I've left both cans of WD40 in the garden.

I've got a can of 3 in One rusting away in my garden. It's right next to the big plastic box that's full of my empty homebrew bottles and rainwater.

Replies From View

Flog the unwanted WD40 on eBay; I'm sure someone will snap it up.