Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:55:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being a normal person and living with the existence of ISIS

Started by BritishHobo, May 24, 2017, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

This is a thread for not being arsed with thirty pages of arguments. It's a thread for wanting to actually understand how people understand this huge, scary thing that rears up and carries out such atrocities.

We're told not to be scared, which is right, but it's much easier said than done. I understand​ why people in shit comments sections are so angry and scared and hateful. Even stupid, harmless, petty politics is bewildering and confusing thanks to the sheer volume of information these days, so how FUCK do you deal with something as massive and complicated and shittifying as ISIS? It's no wonder people go for what they deem easy answers; it must be comforting to believe there's some black-and-white portcullis we can drop that would close  us off to the world and leave us safe. But there ain't. It's a complex world where everyone's business is mixed up.

You've just got to get on, haven't you? But again, it's easier said than done.

I don't really remember what my question was. Something to do with how you're meant to understand​ and respond to ISIS as just a bunch of people going to work with no real knowledge of geopolitical issues. I'm in a Debenhams stockroom right now, how fuck's a Debenhams stockroom meant to understand ISIS?

Glebe

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 24, 2017, 09:53:28 AMI'm in a Debenhams stockroom right now, how fuck's a Debenhams stockroom meant to understand ISIS?

I'd stay in there if I were you mate, there's a shifty Arab come in "looking for a yasmak".

Soz, serious thread, carry on...

Norton Canes

It's OK, are brave boys are on the streets, they'll think twice about trying anything now.

billtheburger

I'm currently studying CBT councilling as part of my ongoing 40th birthday celebrations, because that's how I roll, but that will mean the next part of this post will come accross a bit bellendy, but I assure you, it is in order to get to the root of the problem you have.
Quote from: BritishHobo on May 24, 2017, 09:53:28 AM
We're told not to be scared, which is right, but it's much easier said than done.
You are entitled to be scared, it is a perfectly acceptable response. The problem is they use terminology like "don't" which the subconsious mind ignores. (EG. don't think of an elephants big grey dick). I would prefer them to tell you to "live positive. This is an exceptionally rare occurance."
QuoteYou've just got to get on, haven't you? But again, it's easier said than done.
What do you think is preventing you from carrying on?
QuoteHow fuck's a Debenhams stockroom meant to understand ISIS?
How the fuck is my bedroom office, a Starbucks cafe, or CAB supposed to understand ISIS?

Paul Calf

Quote from: billtheburger on May 24, 2017, 10:16:55 AM
You are entitled to be scared, it is a perfectly acceptable response.

Acceptable, but irrational. Chances of being killed by a terrorist: vanishingly small. Chances of your fear of being killed by a terrorist being exploited by government and commerce: virtually 100%. Don't listen to the people who insist that you cower in terror.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: billtheburger on May 24, 2017, 10:16:55 AM
I'm currently studying CBT councilling as part of my ongoing 40th birthday celebrations

I guess you would need counselling if CBT went too far. It's all about safewords.

billtheburger

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 24, 2017, 10:18:22 AM
Acceptable, but irrational.
SHHHH, Paul. Don't interfere.
The trick of good CBT counselling is active listening that lets the client know their thoughts are valid, despite personal opinion or evidence.

billtheburger

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 24, 2017, 10:18:54 AM
I guess you would need counselling if CBT went too far. It's all about safe words.
Thankfully not about my spellings.

Paul Calf

Quote from: billtheburger on May 24, 2017, 10:22:00 AM
SHHHH, Paul. Don't interfere.
The trick of good CBT counselling is active listening that lets the client know their thoughts are valid, despite personal opinion or evidence.

Please have virtual karma: ++++

madhair60

I honestly hate ISIS. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think they are really dreadful.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: madhair60 on May 24, 2017, 10:50:04 AM
I honestly hate ISIS. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think they are really dreadful.

The last thing we need in this thread is your right-wing rhetoric.

MoonDust

I guess we just have to get on with our lives. Living in fear will do nowt. Maybe take advice from folk who lived through the troubles and the IRA bombing campaigns on the 90s. They were far more frequent than Islamist terrorism.

Me and Mrs MoonDust went for a stroll to a park yesterday and it was like nothing had happened. People lying on the grass, couples having picnics, people walking dogs, a group of boy scouts doing activities on the field. We have to and must carry on.

They're a bunch of bad lads if you ask me and I'll be telling their mothers when I see them.

Nail bombs and beheading's, I ask you. Tsk.

Cuellar

Yes it's dreadful and you feel like you have to DO something about it, but what can you do really? One person can't do anything about the religiopolitical situation, but you can live in a way that totally opposes their ideology - one person can be tolerant, compassionate, sympathetic.

Yes, that is glib and bleeding heart  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MoonDust

Quote from: Cuellar on May 24, 2017, 11:07:36 AM
but you can live in a way that totally opposes their ideology

Alcohol, fornication and listening to belting music. Sounds good to me.

katzenjammer

If you're worried about dying in a terrorist attack you're worrying about very close to nothing.  Does that help?

QuoteHumans are notoriously bad at assessing risk. It's why someone lights up another cigarette while worrying about getting killed by a terrorist, and why so many of us calmly drive to work everyday but feel nervous getting on a plane.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-things-most-likely-to-kill-you-in-one-infographic-2015-2

Cuellar

MoonDust

Quote from: katzenjammer on May 24, 2017, 11:13:38 AM

The so-called "horse-shoe" theory that high blood pressure leads to war, and war leads to high blood pressure.

Bazooka

Quote from: katzenjammer on May 24, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
If you're worried about dying in a terrorist attack you're worrying about very close to nothing.  Does that help?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-things-most-likely-to-kill-you-in-one-infographic-2015-2

Bloody hell, that is one deadly Caterpillar.

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

'low fruit and vegetables', is that like tripping over a courgette or something?

It's coconuts falling from trees isn't it? Like the one that very nearly took Keith Richards from us.

katzenjammer

This is even better, from the telegraph of all places

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/many-people-killed-terrorist-attacks-uk/

QuoteBetween 2000 and 2015, 90 people have been killed in the UK in terrorist attacks, according to figures from the Global Terrorism Database

Amazingly low. 

Ninety too many, mate. We need to nuke the entire middle-east in revenge.

MoonDust

Quote from: katzenjammer on May 24, 2017, 11:20:01 AM
This is even better, from the telegraph of all places

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/many-people-killed-terrorist-attacks-uk/

Amazingly low.

It really puts the difference between the Islamic terrorist threat and Irish republican/unionist threat into perspective.

Not being from NI let alone being around when the troubles were at their peak, does anyone here remember the government response then? Were people as hysterical about terrorism then as they are now?

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
It's OK, are brave boys are on the streets, they'll think twice about trying anything now.

I'm saying this as somebody who's used the term myself before: "Are brave boys" is fast becoming shit for cunts on a par with Tony B.liar, "bombing brown people" etc. What exactly do you mean by what you wrote? Should we tell the police to not worry about it?

BritishHobo

I'm personally​ not particularly afraid - I'm off to Manchester myself soon for a concert, because I'd booked it, so I'm going - but it interests me. Really the only reason I'm not scared is because you just can't be. Not because it defeats their terrorist aims, but because if you were, you just wouldn't go out.

I suppose what my brain is trying to say is how can any of us he expected to have a clear and reasoned response in the face of something like this? The complexities of Middle Eastern history and politics are naturally beyond most people. It's no wonder we tend towards easy solutions - get rid of this group, bomb that group. We're existing as individuals trying to have an individual response to something that exists on a massive complex geopolitical level. How?!

I don't fucking even know what I'm saying.

TheFalconMalteser

Yep, I'm heading in tonight on the tram for a talk on Populism (some silly billy from Novaara and David Goodhardt I think).

Glebe

Quote from: madhair60 on May 24, 2017, 10:50:04 AMI honestly hate ISIS. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think they are really dreadful.

Steady on!