Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Salad days

Started by MuteBanana, May 24, 2017, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Aren't they? With the heat. Always used to start doing salads with cold roast chicken when the Sun came out. Chicken, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, tomato, something onion, boiled egg, salad cream and maybe some coleslaw.

I was uncomfortably warm the other day and thought about having a salad but in the end I just had a bowl of hot mash.

Here's a good strong hearty salad:
40g fresh spinach
1 apple
1 cooked beetroot
1 carrot
1/2 pepper
1/2 red onion
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper

How do you stay cool with the dinners and things?

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, noticed it's getting to be Phil Collins[1] weather here, I need to switch from dal to something I can take to the park near work.

Might do a couscous and chorizo type thing.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3097/couscous-with-chorizo-and-chickpeas

1.No Jacket Required

Icehaven

Once the merc has passed about 19 I only eat sandwiches and breakfast cereal. After 23 I might add ice pops to the menu.

Dr Rock

Rocket or one of those supermarket mixed leaves things.
Baby plum tomatoes, sliced in half.
Third/Half of a pepper (yellow or orange) roasted or popped in the toaster, depending on whether i have something else in the oven.
Avocado
Roasted pine nuts. Again, usually only if I have something else in the oven, but they really are the super extra ingredient.
Dressing - a little Extra Virgin olive oil and a splash of the chilli infused Olive oil they do in Tescoes.

Norton Canes

Rocket, watercress, spinach. The holy trinity of salad ingredients. Lime chilli dressing.

MuteBanana

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2017, 04:58:38 PM
Once the merc has passed about 19 I only eat sandwiches and breakfast cereal. After 23 I might add ice pops to the menu.

I looked in the offy freezer cabinet and was considering buying stuff. So tempting when its warm. I'll give in eventually.

Icehaven

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 24, 2017, 05:12:39 PM
I looked in the offy freezer cabinet and was considering buying stuff. So tempting when its warm. I'll give in eventually.

I haven't partaken in freezy booze for years but it's an idea. Always liked blue frozen stuff what gets you pissed, on a wobbly metal chair on a too-narrow-for-it-really patch of pavement outside a bar I'd otherwise never set foot in, at 4pm on a Sunday.

thenoise

Unlike Mark Corrigan I am quite partial to a couscous salad, I took a big bowl of it along to a bring/share dinner the other night which went down pretty well.

You can put pretty much anything with couscous so it is usually a bit of a leftovers/end of week meal, but I seem to recall: spring onion, roast peppers, roast tomatoes, spring onion, fresh herbs (coriander, parsley, mint), lemon juice, feta cheese was a winning combination.  Sometimes I put roast nuts in as well to make it extra filling and delicious.

Replies From View

Dandelion leaves and stems (no heads)
Bits of moss
Stone that has been used to scrape bird poo
Bird poo
Tomatoes
Cucumber
French bread
Brie
Booze

= the taste of summer

MuteBanana

Quote from: thenoise on May 24, 2017, 05:25:27 PM
Unlike Mark Corrigan I am quite partial to a couscous salad, I took a big bowl of it along to a bring/share dinner the other night which went down pretty well.

You can put pretty much anything with couscous so it is usually a bit of a leftovers/end of week meal, but I seem to recall: spring onion, roast peppers, roast tomatoes, spring onion, fresh herbs (coriander, parsley, mint), lemon juice, feta cheese was a winning combination.  Sometimes I put roast nuts in as well to make it extra filling and delicious.

I bought a bag of couscous but just couldn't get past the mouth feel. Unchewable.

im barry bethel

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2017, 04:58:38 PM
Once the merc has passed about 19 I only eat sandwiches and breakfast cereal.
You'll have to sell the car once the taxman catches up with you

Black_Bart

I prefer the Sam Peckinpah Salad Days.

selsdon man

Cold buckwheat noodles with a dip (oil/soy/vinegar/chilli/etc) like the Japanese do. Also I pay a woman with a tragic past to fan me while I eat.

Icehaven

Quote from: im barry bethel on May 24, 2017, 05:37:07 PM
You'll have to sell the car once the taxman catches up with you

Yes but as you can see I drive so slowly I'll get a good price for it.

Vodka Margarine

Big fan of salads in days of warmth. Recently discovered the subtle beauty of spring onions - a nice oniony hit that doesn't cause mild reflux and indigestion like the red onion I'd been liberally whacking in year after year.

My revelation has been homemade wholegrain mustard dressing. A generous measure of olive oil, a third the amount of red wine vinegar and as much mustard as you like (depending on thickness).

biggytitbo

A pea and a scotch egg.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 24, 2017, 06:01:08 PM
A pea inside a scotch egg.

Anyway they are called scotched eggs now.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Black_Bart on May 24, 2017, 05:38:57 PM
I prefer the Sam Peckinpah Salad Days.

The best Monty Python sketch and I won't hear otherwise.

Thursday

Honestly, what is it with you lot today, we already have one Anal thread!!!!

This isn't a main salad, but it has a surprising depth of flavour for something quite simple, and I can't usually stand eating tomatoes cold

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/222659/tomato-mozzarella-salad/

thenoise

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 24, 2017, 05:34:13 PM
I bought a bag of couscous but just couldn't get past the mouth feel. Unchewable.

u sposed to cook it dickhead

MuteBanana

Quote from: thenoise on May 24, 2017, 06:53:09 PM
u sposed to cook it dickhead

Hah.

It just run up my gums and was awful to eat.

Icehaven

Glebe

Funnily enough, I was just thinking I'd have start doing a few healthy salads, with the summer coming in and that.

NattyDread

You could try bulghur wheat. That's a bit chewier. Or that massive couscous stuff.

HappyTree

I love couscous, me. And I've already married it so I'll be having none of that nonsense. Taboulet, yummy dum dums.

I spent 7 years as a part time larder chef so I've made a few salads in my time. Fucking master of the salad. King salad. Ask me anything. I know literally all there is to know about salads.

Sherman Krank

touchingcloth

They alive, damnit. It's a miracle.

Anyway, these are my salad days slowly being eaten away. Just another play for today.

pancreas

I have three words

OTTOLENGHI
OTTENGI
OTNEGK AXNB

Basically, just this.

touchingcloth

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2017, 11:45:06 PM
Lol, Ottolenghi.

Hi, how are you? Would you like to suck my substantial dick?