Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Bucket List"

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, May 24, 2017, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

zomgmouse

If I were a dog I would have a "bark at" list

shiftwork2

A joyless tick box exercise for the kind of fillet who gets their life out of the way with grim determination.

I can die happy now I've posted that.

thenoise

get in the four figure karma klub

fuck

Danger Man

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 25, 2017, 07:36:53 AM
A joyless tick box exercise for the kind of fillet who gets their life out of the way with grim determination.

I know somebody who is on a mission to visit every country in the world.

It's a joyless exercise in ticking off bits of the map.

Sebastian Cobb

What's the opposite of a bucket list - a list of stuff that you've vowed never to do again/at all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 25, 2017, 07:36:53 AM

I approve of describing someone as a 'fillet'.

Icehaven

I don't need a bucket list because I'm not going to die.

I've got a list I call my Life's Ambition List.  It features all the slightly conical receptacles with flat bases and handles arching over the open top that I aspire to acquire.

yesitsme

Agree with the OP about what a horrible phrase Bucket List is.  One of the things that drove me from FB was the number of people who had/knew/vultured around a dying child who had a BLW (Bucket List Wish) of getting Xmillion likes before they croaked.

If at the end of their little jaundiced life your child's ambitions amount to nothing more than appearing briefly on a meaningless list between 'Wenger Out' and 'GBBO' then as a parent you have failed and you should be ashamed.

My only hope is that little Kayden croaks it while you sit there chuckling at cat videos.

Bucket list is right up there in the realm of office conversation with WWYDIYWTL. 

Personally I would do nothing more than get a job at Sainsbury's stacking trollies.  No pressure, no stress, keeps you fit, keeps you outdoors, keeps your feet on the ground.

That's in the summer of course.

In the winter I'd be in the Bahamas knocking the back out of Katy Perry.

thenoise

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2017, 01:19:59 PM
I don't need a bucket list because I'm not going to die.
That's the spirit!

There's something very morbid about it all, isn't there?  X things you must do/see before you die, et al.  Like people can't cope with the idea of being on their death bed having not DONE EVERYTHING.  Calm down sausage, plenty of people don't do anything at all.

Icehaven

Quote from: thenoise on May 25, 2017, 05:38:39 PM
That's the spirit!

There's something very morbid about it all, isn't there?  X things you must do/see before you die, et al.  Like people can't cope with the idea of being on their death bed having not DONE EVERYTHING.  Calm down sausage, plenty of people don't do anything at all.

There's a load of books ''1000 films to see before you die'', ''1000 motorbikes to ride before you die'' (probably on one of them) etc., and it just leaves you thinking what's the point? It might provide momentary relief for your loved ones that you did a lot of stuff you wanted to do while you were alive, but I can't help but think if you're doing something on your list and it's great, it'll only serve to remind you what a bitch it is that one day you'll be dead and won't be able to do it anymore. I wouldn't die happy knowing I'd done brilliant things I wanted to do, I die sad that I patently wasn't going to be doing them again.

''Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die
  when all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that the Spring is in the air,
  with the flowers everywhere
I wish that we could both be there.''

zomgmouse

There's always going to be things you'll never do

HappyTree

If one of your items on your bucket list is "Do everything on my bucket list", is that even possible? Once you've done everything else you'd imagine you can finally tick that one off last, but technically no. Break the system!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

These lists are for people to draw individual sources of inspiration. If someone reads a list, whether bucket, films, movies, food etc and sees something, goes and does it, enjoys themselves, then yippee. That's why they are there. That's their purpose.

Interpreting them as items which must all be completed perfunctorily is another example of humans just having massively different ways of interpreting data and making it compatible around their own personalities.

Just like everyone on here I have many many things I'd really like to do as well, and just like everyone here I have many things I have already done, though I enjoy calling these experiences 'memories' rather than referring to completed items on an activity sheet. Occasionally I've gone a little further for the 'achievement', for the sake of completism, and on a few occasions it became very tedious after a while, and the eventual payoff was less satisfying than expected.

Rolf Lundgren

I still find it amazing that the term "Bucket List" comes from the Morgan Freeman/Jack Nicholson film and the screenwriter who wrote it. It feels like the term has been around for more than 10 years and has completely transcended what is a relatively pleasant but middle-of-the-road ITV4 Sunday afternoon film.

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2017, 05:49:18 PM
There's a load of books ''1000 films to see before you die'', ''1000 motorbikes to ride before you die'' (probably on one of them) etc., and it just leaves you thinking what's the point?

I wonder if anyone has ever seen all those films and then died straight afterwards. It's almost worth doing so that your living relatives can send the publishers a letter reading "Happy now?!"

Replies From View

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 27, 2017, 10:27:55 AM
I still find it amazing that the term "Bucket List" comes from the Morgan Freeman/Jack Nicholson film and the screenwriter who wrote it. It feels like the term has been around for more than 10 years and has completely transcended what is a relatively pleasant but middle-of-the-road ITV4 Sunday afternoon film.

I wonder if anyone has ever seen all those films and then died straight afterwards. It's almost worth doing so that your living relatives can send the publishers a letter reading "Happy now?!"

People have been doing "lists of things to do before you die" for more than ten years.  The term "bucket list" definitely doesn't feel like it has been around for very long.  I probably first heard it when it was used as the subtitle for the second series of 'An Idiot Abroad'.  "That's a shit term for it," I thought to myself, and I was right.  But maybe nobody has come up with an equally short term that isn't shit.

HappyTree

"Fuck-it list" would be a good one. A list of unwise things you did out of frustration.

hedgehog90

zomgmouse

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 27, 2017, 10:27:55 AM
Holy crap, I thought you were joking but that is literally where it came from. Wow. It definitely feels older but I guess it just had thar immediate cultural saliency. I just looked it up to confirm you weren't joking and found it pretty fascinating/obvious when I think about it that it comes from "kick the bucket". But yeah. Jesus. Had no idea that film created that phrase. That's pretty incredible.