Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Muslim mate wants to grass up radical Muslims

Started by Black_Bart, May 25, 2017, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Bart

I found out from my mate (secular Muslim) is thinking of "going undercover" at the local mosque to see if he can uncover "wrong un" Muslims. I've tried to talk him out of it.

Mainly because he is one of those people that as soon as they walk in the room you think "Nark".

So anyway, you got any mates wanting to do something a bit unadvised?

Cuellar

shiftwork2

Don't mix them with cross-ply Muslims.

That's the extent of my involvement with this thread; bye.  Lovely weather again.

Edit: only changed the thread title didn't he?

Black_Bart

QuoteWhy do you hate Britain?

Oh, you usual reasons, weather, traffic, the over developed sense of entitlement from the middleclass(!)

Buelligan

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 25, 2017, 09:38:59 AM
Don't mix them with cross-ply Muslims.

That's the extent of my involvement with this thread; bye.  Lovely weather again.

Edit: only changed the thread title didn't he?

I saw it and laughed with you, never you worry.

argh

doesnt seem much point. Authorities are pretty good at identifying the terrorists - they are seemingly always referred to as "known to authorities" after the fact - just less at good at stopping them. (though in fairness they could foil 99% of planned attacks for all we know).

tell him to acquire a gun and engage in street justice

Black_Bart

Quotedoesnt seem much point. Authorities are pretty good at identifying the terrorists - they are seemingly always referred to as "known to authorities" after the fact - just less at good at stopping them. (though in fairness they could foil 99% of planned attacks for all we know).

I did point out to him that nutter violence muslims would probably not be down the local mosque.

Quotetell him to acquire a gun and engage in street justice

I have a copy of Nighthawks and shall introduce it to him ASAP.

Buelligan

I think Black_Bart should offer to be his handler.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

What are radical muslims? Do they turn up to the mosque on skateboards and say 'dude' a lot?

JoeyBananaduck

What a nice world that would be.

"Oh look, it's a couple of those radical muslims. Heh heh! Hey lets take the kids over to see them. Alright lads? Nice kickflip!"

Buelligan

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 25, 2017, 10:08:21 AM
What are radical muslims? Do they turn up to the mosque on skateboards and say 'dude' a lot?

It's an interesting question that.  Should people be dobbing in the ones that are most angry?  Or ones that seem to truly live their lives according to their religion? 

Who would be a more reasonable person to report to the authorities, a rebellious out of control person with an anger problem or a man of (his) god?  Now try moving it onto all the people you know, if they were muslims, which ones do you think should be kidnapped in hoods for secret interrogation and trial?  Who on this board is most likely to deserve that?

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2017, 10:15:07 AM
Who would be a more reasonable person to report to the authorities, a rebellious out of control person with an anger problem or a man of (his) god?

People aren't reported to the authorities for their motives. People are reported to the authorities for committing or intending to commit crimes. Justice is about wrongdoing, and 'God told me to' doesn't make killing a child or beating a woman any more virtuous or acceptable than having an anger problem does.

colacentral

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2017, 10:15:07 AM
It's an interesting question that.  Should people be dobbing in the ones that are most angry?  Or ones that seem to truly live their lives according to their religion? 

Who would be a more reasonable person to report to the authorities, a rebellious out of control person with an anger problem or a man of (his) god?  Now try moving it onto all the people you know, if they were muslims, which ones do you think should be kidnapped in hoods for secret interrogation and trial?  Who on this board is most likely to deserve that?

TFM.

Buelligan

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on May 25, 2017, 10:19:23 AM
People aren't reported to the authorities for their motives. People are reported to the authorities for committing or intending to commit crimes. Justice is about wrongdoing, and 'God told me to' doesn't make killing a child or beating a woman any more virtuous or acceptable than having an anger problem does.

I'm not asking what is more acceptable.  I'm asking how one judges who is a danger to others and who is just some nut, or do we report them all and let god decide1.?

1. Arnaud Amalric https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_at_B%C3%A9ziers

Bazooka

Sounds risky, he might get radicalised within seconds, then you will have to go in undercover only to be radicalised within seconds yourself, then someone will else will have to go in undercover in your place and it just goes on. 

selsdon man

I thought most terrorists were getting radicalised in prison these days. That would take a bit more commitment from your friend.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2017, 10:31:09 AM
I'm not asking what is more acceptable.  I'm asking how one judges who is a danger to others and who is just some nut, or do we report them all and let god decide1.?

1. Arnaud Amalric https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_at_B%C3%A9ziers

If someone is a danger to others, I'd like to think a reasonable person would alert authorities. If someone is a 'nut' or a danger to themselves I'd like to think someone who knew them would alert mental health services.

Icehaven

Today at work we were all emailed a checklist of ''signs of radicalisation to look out for''. It's a long list, but then it does include things like 'Expresses support for radical ideologies.'' and ''Agrees with anti-Western sentiments.'' They're not all quite that obvious but a fair number could have been left off the list for the sake of brevity.

MoonDust

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2017, 11:33:57 AM
'Expresses support for radical ideologies.'

Shit!

*Hides behind a copy of the Communist Manifesto*

Seriously though, they need to be more specific with their language as to exactly what they mean by "radical ideologies". According to some, people who support Corbyn are "radical". Certainly a lot of people on the left are "radical" too.

Buelligan

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on May 25, 2017, 11:05:39 AM
If someone is a danger to others, I'd like to think a reasonable person would alert authorities. If someone is a 'nut' or a danger to themselves I'd like to think someone who knew them would alert mental health services.

But we're not talking about that, we're talking about alerting a specific group who are tasked with rooting out potential terrorists.  I'm just interested in how you know that the person involved should be reported to them specifically.

Quote from: colacentral on May 25, 2017, 10:24:05 AM
TFM.

And there's the rub.  Why would we report him?  Not because he's a particularly likely terrorist but because we dislike him.  And who would that serve (other than us who would be rid)?  It probably wouldn't prevent any terrorism but it would certainly make anyone thinking about saying anything that went against the consensus have another good think about it.  So it would efficiently close down debate.

Icehaven

Quote from: MoonDust on May 25, 2017, 11:37:40 AM
Shit!

*Hides behind a copy of the Communist Manifesto*

Seriously though, they need to be more specific with their language as to exactly what they mean by "radical ideologies". According to some people who support Corbyn are "radical". Certainly a lot of people on the left are "radical" too.

I know, and it's not as if they're trying to avoid specifically referring to Islamic radicalisation either as other points do mention it. It's a pretty badly put together list to be honest that I'd cheerfully put up here for you all to have a laugh at if it wouldn't probably get me fired. There's even two columns with little ticks in, one for 'generic extremism' and the other for 'super-duper radicalisation' (might not be those specific terms.)

edit; I should probably add that I do get that it's important for places like this to be looking out for radicalisation, and we have a responsibility as staff to be aware of the signs and so on, but I don't think a shopping list of vague, obvious and almost abstract things to look out for is particularly helpful. 

Urinal Cake

Guess you're friend wants to be a hero. Not his fight.

spamwangler

it would be a great Netflix series for sure.

if it was a TV series, id change the main character to a woman, call her Catherine, and then the show could be called 'A Cat Among The Pigeons'

does that work? i hope pigeons isnt a derogatory word for Muslims

colacentral

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2017, 11:38:03 AM
But we're not talking about that, we're talking about alerting a specific group who are tasked with rooting out potential terrorists.  I'm just interested in how you know that the person involved should be reported to them specifically.

And there's the rub.  Why would we report him?  Not because he's a particularly likely terrorist but because we dislike him.  And who would that serve (other than us who would be rid)?  It probably wouldn't prevent any terrorism but it would certainly make anyone thinking about saying anything that went against the consensus have another good think about it.  So it would efficiently close down debate.

TFM gone and our "debates" ended. What's the down side?

Buelligan

Yeah, maybe here it wouldn't be such a tragedy but as I'm sure you realise, in the big real world, everyone, even the cunts, must be allowed to speak.  When people stop talking, they start doing worse stuff.

Danger Man

Quote from: Black_Bart on May 25, 2017, 09:35:47 AM
I found out from my mate (secular Muslim) is thinking of "going undercover" at the local mosque to see if he can uncover "wrong un" Muslims. I've tried to talk him out of it.

Show him the Tweedledum episode of Colditz.

QuoteWing Commander Marsh (Michael Bryant), an assistant to the British Medical Officer, decides to use his extensive knowledge of mental illness for an escape. He proposes to "go insane" and be repatriated. Colonel Preston agrees to let him, so long as he follows through with it to the bitter end. Marsh does a very thorough job: his bizarre, disruptive behaviour continually annoys the other allied officers, who are mostly unaware of the scheme. After Marsh has been successfully repatriated to the UK, it is revealed that his feigned psychosis has become genuine, and that he has been committed to a mental hospital for long-term care. Colonel Preston immediately forbids any further escape attempts along the same lines.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: spamwangler on May 25, 2017, 11:42:54 AM
it would be a great Netflix series for sure.

if it was a TV series, id change the main character to a woman, call her Catherine, and then the show could be called 'A Cat Among The Pigeons'

does that work? i hope pigeons isnt a derogatory word for Muslims

Sod that, get Yusuf Islam in for the role.