Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most stupid school decision ever?

Started by Quincey, May 25, 2017, 11:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

QuoteA primary school told terrified kids they were being taken from their parents as part of a mass evacuation in a bungled role play exercise about refugees.

Newington CofE Primary School in Sittingbourne, Kent, has apologised after setting up the fake scenario to raise awareness of the plight of people forced from their homes.

Youngsters were only told the announcement was staged afterwards as part of Christian Aid Week.

Parents have been left furious by the incident which happened in Christian Aid Week - before the Manchester bombing.

Michael Theodorou, whose stepson goes to the school, said: "The kids were all told that something big had happened in London and that transporters were coming to pick them up.

"They then said that they didn't know if their parents would know where they were being taken and might not be able to see them and they would be separated from their friends and family.

"At the end they noticed most of the children in the school were disturbed and distressed.

"Most of the parents have complained to the school."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/school-leaves-terrified-pupils-tears-10496477

What other bad school decisions are there?

MoonDust

mrpupkin

I think this is a good thing that should happen to everyone

Norton Canes

We moved to another part of the country when I was a term into sixth form, which of course necessitated starting at another school. I'd already had a tour round the place a few weeks previously but on the first Monday of the new term I arrived at the office of the Sixth Form Head, whose first job was to introduce me to a group of fellow pupils with whom he thought I could hang out as I got used to the place. 

Now at this Sixth Form there were two places to go during breaks and lunch - and these places were both were determined by, and in turn determined, what kind of person you were. There was the library, where the clever kids went and chatted about their studies. And there was the coffee bar, where the slackers, retrogrades and indifferent individuals not inclined to take their academic progress seriously hung out. The two did not mix; and once you were there, you were there for good.

And guess which one I was sent to.

It is my considered opinion that the Head of the Sixth form who consigned me to the coffee bar, there to endlessly waste my time filling in the Sounds crossword, listening to Sisters of Mercy and flicking lit matches at the mods' table, had a greater deleterious effect on my education then any other individual. I hate him. What was he thinking? Did he take a look at my ruff-necked shirt, torn skinny jeans and pointy black shoes and conclude, "Christ. No saving this one".

Where would I have been today if I'd spent my lunchtimes in an air of intellectual calm, swotting over revision?

(probably typing a similar post lamenting the fact that the kids in the coffee bar always seemed to be having much more fun)

Icehaven

I went to my school reunion in 2011 (class of 1990), where we were cheerfully informed that they've been doing such reunions (21 years after you started at the school) for decades, and we were the first year ever in which as far as they knew no one had died (bearing in mind we were all only 31 or 32). I think that was a bad decision. We all looked around the room wondering who it was going to be, and ever since then I think we've all had a sense that at least one of us is living on borrowed time. 

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 25, 2017, 12:37:59 PM
There was the library, where the clever kids went and chatted about their studies. And there was the coffee bar, where the slackers, retrogrades and indifferent individuals not inclined to take their academic progress seriously hung out. The two did not mix; and once you were there, you were there for good.

Was there anything (apart from peer pressure) stopping you from alternating between going to both places?

Quincey

QuoteA Houston-area school district has disciplined several teachers after a student received a mock award that named her "most likely to become a terrorist".

Certificates given to the 13-year-old girl and other students last week at Lance Cpl Anthony Aguirre Junior High School, near Houston, were supposed to be lighthearted. But the Channelview Independent School District issued a statement apologizing for the "insensitive and offensive fake mock awards".

Lizeth Villanueva, who was given the "terrorist" certificate, told a local CNN affiliate her teacher gave out the "mock awards" in an advanced learning class, warning students that though the awards were supposed to be funny, they "might hurt feelings".

"It was not a joke," Lizeth told the TV station. "I do not feel comfortable with this ... I do not feel comfortable being in the same classroom with [the teacher]."

Her mother, Ena Hernandez, said she was upset by the certificate given to her daughter, particularly in light of the recent bombing at a pop concert in Manchester which left 22 people dead and dozens injured.

Lauren Easton, whose sister received the "white people" award, told CNN another award was titled "most likely to be homeless in Guatemala".

"My initial reaction was shock," she said. "I couldn't believe a teacher could be that bold."

Not sure bold is the right word. Not sure what the "white people" award is either.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/texas-district-disciplines-teachers-most-likely-to-become-a-terrorist-award

im barry bethel

The tears only came when little Jonny found out it wasn't real and he'd have to go back to living with his stepdad in Kent

Norton Canes

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 25, 2017, 02:10:40 PM
Was there anything (apart from peer pressure) stopping you from alternating between going to both places?

A combination of peer pressure, laziness (note, at no point did I say I didn't enjoy frittering my time away with the slackers) and the presence of a goth girl who bore a startling resemblance to Kate Bush.

Actually, mostly the last one.

Small Man Big Horse

When I signed up for sixth form college they told me that my choices of A-Levels - History, Business Studies and Computing - caused a timetable clash and it was impossible to study those three subjects together. They took a look at my GCSE results and persuaded me to study English instead of Computing, which caused me to become a pretentious twat with aspirations way beyond my abilities. Twenty five years on I'm living in a bedsit and ridiculously broke, whilst my closest friend who did study computing there is close to earning a six figure salary despite it being a 9 - 5 job. So yeah, them bastards sure did fuck me over.

non capisco

That coffee bar sounds amazing, Norton. You've made it sound like the kind of bohemian shangri-la I longed for at school. There was the tree me and my mate Keith used to sit near to talk about REM albums but believe you me no Kate Bush lookalikes ever went anywhere near that.