Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Morgan

Started by TheManOne, May 25, 2017, 07:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheManOne

If you don't know about this case, and you want a genuine conspiracy then there is a highly detailed new book about the affair just out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW98QQ5/cab-21/

(Barry! I don't know how to make that an affiliate link - so feel free to replace it with one (thanks, done! BAdmin.))

If you've listened to the podcast from last year then this is a far more detailed breakdown and includes new information which had to be withheld while the trial of the Fake Sheik was on going. Also, you don't have to put up with Peter Juke's voice. A brief summary for those who don't know the case:

A private detective is murdered and over the next 30 years the police repeatedly fail to solve it.
Expect a selection of characters familiar to so many police investigations from The News of the World to the Met and the Freemasons.
Oh. And Crimewatch.

Still on going and there's a judicial panel due to report on it early next year. Although I have my doubts about what it'll report, given the ridiculous past of this case.

Anyway - compelling and terrifying.

Old Thrashbarg

It feels like any brief summary of this case isn't complete without mentioning that he was apparently very close to exposing some corruption within the police. And that he was murdered by being hit in the head with an axe.

TheManOne

Yeah. Or that the police officer who badly investigated the case took the victim's job a year later in partnership with the main suspect.
Actually, it's hard to give anything like a brief summary of this case.

biggytitbo

The main thing that bothers with me about the idea he was killed to silence him is the axe part. I don't think hitmen traditionally use axes.

TheManOne

Of course. This is a genuinely complicated case with tonnes of evidence.
Time for Biggy to ignore that and just reckon some stuff. Hit me!

biggytitbo

TheManOne

Well, you've ignored the fact no one's ever claimed it was a hitman - either side.

biggytitbo

Well whatever, its difficult to believe if his murder was arranged in some way to cover up what he'd uncovered that they'd use an axe. I'm certainly not arguing thats any kind of definitive judgement, just an observation.

TheManOne

But one which bears no relation to the case. You're just doing what you do. Picking on an irrelevant details and drawing conclusions based on a lack of evidence and suggesting this somehow casts doubt. You're very good at it and it will keep you entertained for life.

Actually, re-reading that, I don't think you actually even know the basics of this case. Under no circumstances did ANYONE want it to look like a hit. That would've been incredibly suspicious. They wanted it to look like a mugging*. And they got that wrong too.

*or jealous lover - depending at what time you check in to their story. As has been said, there are so many parts to this story.

biggytitbo

But you wouldn't arrange a murder to look like a mugging with an axe, people don't get mugged with axes. A jealous lover might look more plausible but actually dispatching someone with an axe is a messy and far from certain way to kill them, so its bloody risky.

TheManOne

And what does this startling revelation you've come across mean? Is it the same ones who dispatched Seth Rich?

Mr_Simnock

I really hope this isn't one of those threads where an author tries to push their own book on here again.

pancreas

I knew a Daniel Morgan. But he was different. He took insane amounts of MDMA and got on the coach to London and went into a Chariots and demanded that everyone fuck him and then he was relieved he didn't get the aidses.

TheManOne

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 25, 2017, 11:33:31 PM
I really hope this isn't one of those threads where an author tries to push their own book on here again.

No, you're safe. It's just a jaw dropping case.
I've vaguely followed the story since first coming across it in Nick Davies' Flat Earth News. It shares more than a few characters with the phone hacking affair.