Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

the worst of the Beatles

Started by the science eel, May 26, 2017, 10:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

A Taste of Honey
I Need You
Octopus' Garden
Till There Was You
Blue Jay Way
Do You Want To Know A Secret?
Yellow Submarine
-
You Like Me Too Much
What Goes On
Hold Me Tight
I Will
I Me Mine
Act Naturally
Within You Without You

SteveDave

PaulTMA

Brundle-Fly

wosl

wosl

One After 909
Don't Bother Me
Run For Your Life
If You've Got Trouble
Doctor Robert
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
Honey Pie
I Me Mine

the science eel

DrGreggles

There are plenty of contenders for this (covers notwithstanding):

Maxwell's Silver FUCKING Hammer
Ob La Di Ob La SHITTING Da
Run For Your BASTARD Life
Don't TWATTING Pass Me By
Rocky CUNTING Raccoon

Endicott

Quote from: wosl on May 26, 2017, 10:52:32 AM
One After 909
Don't Bother Me
Run For Your Life
If You've Got Trouble
Doctor Robert
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
Honey Pie
I Me Mine

A list which contains several of my favourite Beatles songs, there.

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 26, 2017, 10:55:55 AM
There are plenty of contenders for this (covers notwithstanding):

Maxwell's Silver FUCKING Hammer
Ob La Di Ob La SHITTING Da

Those two always get mentioned. I don't like either of them much, but they're not terrible. "They do what they set out to do", you know?

I honestly think the very worst Beatles' song is 'You Like Me Too Much'. It surprises me they even allowed it onto an album. It's as limp as a second-rate Herman's Hermits track. Absolute guff.

SteveDave

poodlefaker

I like Ob La Di - it's sounds like they're enjoying themselves, which is more than can be said for some of their later stuff. As for Don't Pass Me By: the Rutles pastiche (Living in Hope) is better.

wosl

Quote from: Endicott on May 26, 2017, 10:58:56 AMA list which contains several of my favourite Beatles songs, there.

The OP contained a number of mine.  It's unavoidable.  I also like a few of those I listed, but that doesn't stop me thinking they're among the Fabs' weaker efforts.

Dead Soon

It's objectively Run For Your Life, isn't it?

the science eel

Quote from: Dead Soon on May 26, 2017, 12:05:59 PM
It's objectively Run For Your Life, isn't it?

I don't think so.

People focus on the lyrics when they don't like a song, and ignore them when it's something they love. This is a classic example.

wosl

Edit: pointless recapitulation

Norton Canes

It's on threads like this that you really miss tags.

the science eel

You can still add your pithy, snarky little comments in the thread itself. It's just that you haven't got anonymity to hide behind.

purlieu

maett

Michelle is horrible

I really like A Taste of Honey

Norton Canes

Quote from: the science eel on May 26, 2017, 12:30:40 PM
You can still add your pithy, snarky little comments in the thread itself. It's just that you haven't got anonymity to hide behind

If John had written How Do You Sleep today

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on May 26, 2017, 12:10:08 PM
I don't think so.

People focus on the lyrics when they don't like a song, and ignore them when it's something they love. This is a classic example.

Completely agree. Sorry wosi/ Dead Soon but I think nominating Run For Your Life as the go to worst Beatles song is now on a par with holding up The Frog Chorus as this terrible artistic come down for Paul McCartney.

wosl

I think Lennon saying he always hated it himself lends weight, although in an ideal world it wouldn't.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 26, 2017, 11:32:26 AM
I like Ob La Di - it's sounds like they're enjoying themselves, which is more than can be said for some of their later stuff.

I like it too! Very much, and it really does sound like they're enjoying themselves, which I'm sure is a big victory for McCartney. Apparently the rest of the band (well Lennon and Harrison at least) hated it in the first place, which wasn't helped by the fact McCartney made them spend 3-4 days recording it(!)

Hardly surprising that they don't sound like they're enjoying themselves on the later stuff, like you said. At least in the case of Maxwell's Silver Hammer, where he made them go through the same ordeal, trudging through a song none of them liked.

You've got to wonder what was going through McCartney's mind sometimes, forcing a song like Maxwell's Silver Hammer on a band that clearly couldn't give a toss after the shitfight that was the Get Back sessions! Madness. And to be fair surely they can be safely filed under "guilty pleasures", stacked up against the rest of their later work. Hardly worth the aggro pushing them so hard, especially Maxwell.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 26, 2017, 02:49:25 PM
You've got to wonder what was going through McCartney's mind sometimes, forcing a song like Maxwell's Silver Hammer on a band that clearly couldn't give a toss after the shitfight that was the Get Back sessions! Madness.

No, it was The Beatles.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Steven

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

otherwise

Savoy Truffle

JesusAndYourBush

I reckon if Carnival Of Light ever sees the light of day it'll be absolutely awful!
(In the same way that Pink Floyd's "John Latham" when it was finally released 49 years after it was recorded got a massive shrug from most that heard it.)

All You Need Is Love and Hey fucking Jude.

pigamus

Quote from: the science eel on May 26, 2017, 10:07:17 AM
Till There Was You

I can only repeat the words of Irene Handl: 'Oh you poor man.'