Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Podcasts

Started by DeGrise, January 10, 2011, 05:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeGrise

Can anyone recommend any comedy podcasts worthy of further investigation?

I know some have been mentioned in other threads, but I couldn't find a similar topic via search. Apologies if I'm doubling up.

Famous Mortimer

American ones:

Comedy Death Ray
Doug Loves Movies
Sklarbro Country (if you have a healthy interest in US sport)
How Did This Get Made?
WTF? With Marc Maron

British:
The Bugle

etc. Have a look at em, I've obviously missed tons out but they'll lead you on to other things.

Neil

I like the "Comedy And Everything Else" one by Jimmy Dore, which Nik introduced me to.  Don't really keep up with podcasts, but I checked out the latest two Collings&Herrin ones, and they were a nice introduction.  Comedy Death Ray gets talked up something shocking, and it's comedy improv, so I must check it out.

In terms of a more serious, analytical approach from amateurs, there's the CaB @ComedyChat Podcast - iTunes link - xml, the latest episode of which I'm just uploading.  That's one you can easily get involved with, too.

Little Hoover

A lot of CDR is still just conversations with comedians out of character, but those are still usually fun and interesting, for the more improv based one ones you'll usually want to pick one's with Paul F Tompkins, James Adomian, Andy Daly, Seth Morris, Jerry Minor.

Difficult to know where to start as well, because people even carry over references to previous episodes, I started off somewhere in the middle and listened to back to some earlier episode, and they're interesting enough, but it hadn't quite found it's niche to start off with.

Custard

I find the Peacock & Gamble podcast pretty funny, but I remember Neil tweeted recently saying how rubbish and annoying he found it! heh.

I could never get into the Collins and Herring podcast, mainly cos I can't stand Andrew Collins or his monotone voice all up in my ear'oles. Herring's As It Occurs To Me got awful around the middle of the second series, but that was fairly entertaining at first.

Kevin Smith & Ralph Garman's Hollywood Babble-On gives me a few laughs, but Garman can grate a bit too. Well worth a listen if you've ever found Smith entertaining, though. The hollywood chat is pretty fun if you like that sorta thing.

Jemble Fred

I've simply never really 'done' podcasts (besides recording many for work), and I'd never heard of Ken Plume until last week, but I found this one absolutely fascinating: http://www.asitecalledfred.com/2011/01/06/john-lloyd-ken-plume-chat/

3-d lobster

The nerdist is a fun podcast but really dependent on the guests, I would suggest nerdist live episodes as a start. The one with the DoD and Garfunkel and Oats is great.

I did listen to a podcast last year called 'we're all friends here'. Two guys interview comedians live on stage, it has to be heard to believed. #standard opening question# So your father abused you when you were 5??? # Why were you sectioned into a crazy house???? Have you ever fooled around with your sister???

It was compelling, I was consistently shocked by how open they all were. It comes across that every comedian in the US is just the wrong side of crazy. I had to stop listening as the schadenfreude aspect wore too thin for me.

Retinend

download Limmy's World of Glasgow IMMEDIATELY. Really compelling comedy characters, and make sure you play them from the first onwards.

benjula

I'm personally a big fan of Peacock & Gamble  and the Ray Peacock podcasts, they make me chuckle like no other (although I can fully understand whilst people would hate them, although I'd say give it a go as it could be the best thing you've heard in ages http://www.chortle.co.uk/raypeacock/). As mentioned above the comedy deathray podcasts are great (the Zach Galifianakis ones in particular), the only Nerdist episode I heard was with DOD and G&O, are the others worth listening to?, WTF is consistently fantastic (although I tend to skip the solo Maron intro), Adam and Joe obviously, Collings & Herrin is good if you're a big Richard Herring fan (lot of in jokes etc although still enjoyable if you're into your comedy), if you stick with as it occurs to me it's quite rewarding although often has an off show (still worth a listen). One that hasnt been mentioned so far is 'You Look Nice Today' http://youlooknicetoday.com/ sadly updated very rarely yet the back catalogue is up there, 3 funny guys that just get on and have great warm chemistry (wish i could describe it better but it's fantastic). My last reccomendation would have to be 'News With Jokes' http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=49223 Gary Delaney (consistently great tweeter of gags), Andy White and James Cook basically all sit around the papers trying to one up each other with jokes, mixed results but an enjoyable insight into the gag writing process of the 3 comics.

benjula

Quote from: Retinend on January 10, 2011, 11:01:32 PM
download Limmy's World of Glasgow IMMEDIATELY. Really compelling comedy characters, and make sure you play them from the first onwards.

this too, just got the Limmy's Show DVD coincidentally, incredibly good.

Custard

Cheers, will try that You Look Nice Today one.

Yeah, Peacock & Gamble really make me cackle when they're both on form and up for it, which thankfully is most episodes. Deffo start with episode 1 though, as there's loads of call-backs and in-jokes these days. You can dip in at any point really, as its just a general bullshit show between mates, but you'll be missing a lot of very funny shows.

I remember one of the early ones being the most i've ever laughed at any podcast, and it still tickles me thinking about it now. Basically they went on a guided-tour of Madame Tussauds, and generally misbehaved. I used to have them as Facebook friends (yes, i know), so they posted the pictures at the same time, and jeez, I was HOWLING at one point. Putting their grinning faces next to Beckham's privates an all sorts. Actually, that doesn't sound very funny written down does it, but trust me you Johnny Doubters, it really was. Hilarious.

benjula

they had me at (paraphrasing) "i was watching the Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps finale and there was a vote to see how the audience wanted it to end and i couldnt find the option that said "quickly and violently... with a full and frank apology for everything that has preceded it".

DeGrise

Thanks chaps. That's fantastic.

Looking forward to train journeys for the next few days!

Madison

The Sound of Young America (lots of comedians interviewed) and Jordan Jesse Go (just very funny)

Going to itunes and typing in the name of your favourite comedians is a good way to hear about other ones, ie Patton Oswalt just had a book out so he was on tons of excellent podcasts. Jon Hamm, an excellent podcast guest, did five or six podcasts when Mad Men S4 started.

Splendora

When it's night time on the Internet, I like to listen to the Paul F. Tompkast by Paul F. Tompkins.

Each episode features:

• A sketch
  • A conversation with comedian Jen Kirkman
  • Excerpts from performances at the Largo nightclub
  • Piano accompaniment
All six episodes are available to download, there's a new episode released each month as well as extrasodes released inbetween.

DuncanC

Jobey

Anything with Norm MacDonald.

easytarget

Yeah - Nerdist* and WTF and if you still like Americans interviewing other Americans:

The Longshot Podcast : http://www.thelongshotpodcast.com/ - 4 comics inteview someone, usually another comic - not as intense as WTF, fun like the Nerdist.
David Feldman : http://davidfeldmancomedy.com/audio - some interviews, some kinda-political monologues and (sometimes) wierd, long, filthy Goon-ish sketches. It's very uneven but capable of greatness. Jim Earl does the music, he's great.

Both feature Eddie Pepitone (@eddiepepitone), who you may have heard on WTF. I love him.

more:

The Word: www.wordmagazine.co.uk - Old hacks talk about music, sometimes it's funny, it's always fascinating.

Judge John Hodgman: http://www.Spam/2010/11/01/judge-john-hodgman-podcast Wry, witty, not usually LOL-making - and also dig around on Maximum fun, there's some brilliant stuff on there.

Paul F. Tomkast: http://paulftompkins.com/ - I think I will like this more if I put more effort in. PaulF is worth listening to.

*Nerdist #51 is a live one with several comics all of whom are good and Kyle Kinnane who is fucking brilliant.

Herring, Skinner etc. talking about this very subject:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/podcasts-why-the-future-sounds-funny-2181973.html

I need to get into the Herring shows really. I've heard mixed reactions but should decide for myself. I enjoy the Frank Skinner/Absolute ones, co-hosts aside. Actually Emily is fine, but Gareth is - as they seem aware - a comedy blackhole, and barely awake. When they're talking to a guest, he literally adds nothing - almost as if they only have three mics so he has to give his up. Skinner meanwhile has really grown into it and is often on blistering form. Lovely to listen to on the way into work.

tt1985

Quote from: benjula on January 10, 2011, 11:23:00 PM
I'm personally a big fan of Peacock & Gamble  and the Ray Peacock podcasts, they make me chuckle like no other (although I can fully understand whilst people would hate them, although I'd say give it a go as it could be the best thing you've heard in ages http://www.chortle.co.uk/raypeacock/). As mentioned above the comedy deathray podcasts are great (the Zach Galifianakis ones in particular), the only Nerdist episode I heard was with DOD and G&O, are the others worth listening to?, WTF is consistently fantastic (although I tend to skip the solo Maron intro), Adam and Joe obviously, Collings & Herrin is good if you're a big Richard Herring fan (lot of in jokes etc although still enjoyable if you're into your comedy), if you stick with as it occurs to me it's quite rewarding although often has an off show (still worth a listen). One that hasnt been mentioned so far is 'You Look Nice Today' http://youlooknicetoday.com/ sadly updated very rarely yet the back catalogue is up there, 3 funny guys that just get on and have great warm chemistry (wish i could describe it better but it's fantastic). My last reccomendation would have to be 'News With Jokes' http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=49223 Gary Delaney (consistently great tweeter of gags), Andy White and James Cook basically all sit around the papers trying to one up each other with jokes, mixed results but an enjoyable insight into the gag writing process of the 3 comics.

Can't agree more with the skipping of Maron's intros. He's a real whiner. I enjoy WTF, and his stand up, though generally.  There was an interview on WTF with Mike De Stefano recently, where De Stefano revealed that he had HIV, and I thought Maron and his guest dealt with the situation admirably and both came across really well . It was also quite moving for a podcast.  Did anyone else catch this?

Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned Utter Shambles with Robin Ince and Josie Long. That's quite good and worth checking out.

Is seems to me that, aside from notable exceptions, there is a surprising dearth of quality comedy podcasts. Perhaps it's the case that the people who might do them best simply get too much work to bother?

wheatgod

Best Show Gems - download all, and enjoy them.

DeGrise

I used to enjoy Utter Shambles, mainly because of the sheer enthusiasm that Ince brings to any interview.

Lately I've found it incredibly irritating. Mr. Ince keeps talking over everyone, and it seems that the recording is the only time he can find to eat his lunch.

As these are two of my pet hates in everyday life, I've taken to seething quietly on the tube.

Like I need any help with that.

vrailaine

Quote from: wheatgod on January 15, 2011, 11:46:38 PM
Best Show Gems - download all, and enjoy them.
Tell me this, are less and less of these with Jon Wurster as they go along, or has he a lot more variety to his voice than I thought.

There's a definite drop in quality as it goes along, I'm finding.

Paaaaul

Quote from: vrailaine on January 16, 2011, 06:54:46 AM
Tell me this, are less and less of these with Jon Wurster as they go along, or has he a lot more variety to his voice than I thought.

There's a definite drop in quality as it goes along, I'm finding.

3 of the last 23 podcasts haven't been Wurster calls from my quick look through the archive.
The Reggie From Survivor and Bernie Taupin ones which have been up recently are among my favourite S&W clips.

Personally, I don't think any comedy podcast has as good a hit rate as this one.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: DeGrise on January 16, 2011, 05:52:38 AM
I used to enjoy Utter Shambles, mainly because of the sheer enthusiasm that Ince brings to any interview.

Lately I've found it incredibly irritating. Mr. Ince keeps talking over everyone, and it seems that the recording is the only time he can find to eat his lunch.

I've said it before, but it is by far Ince's best format. I think partly because you cannot see his smug, sneery, sweaty face. I noticed that up until very recently, he was very good at holding back, but in the last couple he has been overtaking. These podcasts are lethal for Long, she appears to know fuck-all about anything. She is ignorant of even the most basic of cultural references, which makes her a spare wheel in most of the interviews (how could she not know about Alan Moore's Lost Girls ferfucksake!). But I genuinely find this to be one of my favourite podcasts, mainly because the guests are well chosen and seem very at ease. Jon Ronson was great.

Another vote for Richard Herring here. He's largely responsible for me having a backlog of 50+ podcasts to catch up on.  With the Collings and Herrin, Collins and Herring 6 Music show and As It Occurs To Me he's nothing if not prolific. The quality is variable and though even the peaks don't get close to match the height of his more polished stuff (IMO very few comedians do - his preview of Christ on a Bike was easily the best stand-up I saw last year) it's still generally enjoyable and worth a listen.

Other stuff I subscribe to that has yet to be mentioned include The Now Show/the News Quiz from Radio 4, Answer Me This, the Danny Baker show (although this has dipped in quality since they started having guests on and then again with Danny Baker's illness), Fighting Talk (quality depends on the guests:  you may be lucky and get Bob Mills, Steve Bunce, John Rawling and Greg Brady or it might be the likes of  Tom Watts, Spoony, Richard Park and Nihal).

I probably consume (for want of a better word) most of my comedy now through podcasts.

ps I know Armstong and Miller aren't particularly popular on here, but I thought their Timeghost podcast about a year or two ago was very good.

TIAL

I'll put in a vote for Phil and Phill's Perfect Ten. Jupitus & Wilding are both good at thinking up answers on the spot to their 10 questions, and the live shows are up to standards too.

If you do not like Phil Jupitus I would not recommend this podcast, because one of the hosts is Phil Jupitus.

Quote from: TIAL on January 16, 2011, 03:14:03 PM
I'll put in a vote for Phil and Phill's Perfect Ten. Jupitus & Wilding are both good at thinking up answers on the spot to their 10 questions, and the live shows are up to standards too.

If you do not like Phil Jupitus I would not recommend this podcast, because one of the hosts is Phil Jupitus.

Indeed. Don't listen to it, because it's got Phil Jupitus on it. The man needs boycotting.

Edit: and in fact, didn't they stop making these about a year ago?

Also I agree with whoever said Robin Ince ruins Utter Shambles by talking over everyone - often to tell a story he's told about three times in previous podcasts. A shame because I like the format which really suits Josie Long, and the guests are always of a high quality.

The podcast I most look forward to at the moment is Tell Em Steve Dave - it's one from Smodcast, but thankfully, bar the odd episode, doesn't have Kevin Smith on it, who, like Ince, talks over everyone.

I don't really know anything of the history of the three guys - they're connected to Smith somehow - and Walt runs Jay and Bob's Secret Stash comic shop, but their obvious long standing friendship which often boils over in to anger with each other is addictive listening. I takes a few episodes to get in to it, but is very rewarding. Once you've found your way with it, the best series of episodes for me is the three called "Houston, we have a problem..." where they listen to a recording of one of their live shows where they died on their arses and without mercy dissect every single moment.

Oh yes, and Answer Me This

Ignore the awful song at the top and download as many episodes as you can. Really, really entertaining.

TIAL

I wanted to like Answer Me This, I really did, but the music and smug presenters made me want to break things.

Is it worth listening to Smodcast if I have no real knowledge of Kevin Smith or is it just for his existing fans?