Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:53:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

On The Hour on Warp records

Started by clamato, December 18, 2005, 01:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clamato

In this book about the Warp record label, the discography at the back lists:

WARP134 On The Hour Series One (no release date)
WARP135 On The Hour Series Two (no release date)

(the label has now released up to WARP138)

Anyone know about this? Does that mean we can expect a commercial release of OTH anytime soon?

benthalo

This was under consideration in 2003 but it met with the same licensing problems that the BBC had, although I don't know specifics. Certainly, all the writers and performers had okayed the release. I recall Richard Herring mentioning it on a message board or blog entry around the time.

From what I gathered, they didn't seem entirely clear on which edits they were using anyway. I offered my services to sort that aspect out but everything fell silent. Shame. I hope that it's all being fixed.

Neil

Eh is that true?  I can only ever recall Herring saying basically that 'there are no objections to releasing the full shows.'  That's amazing!  I did wonder at one point if Warp were thinking about trying to put out some of the Chris Morris R1 show  (or that compilation).  That's just purely because some guy from Warp once asked us for FTP access so that he could download all the shows.  Probably just a lazy bleeder though.

benthalo

Quote from: "Neil"Eh is that true?  I can only ever recall Herring saying basically that 'there are no objections to releasing the full shows.'

No, he specifically gave permission to someone who was seeking clearances a couple of years ago, and I read this statement on line. I heard from another source that Avalon were happy to co-operate.

I also wanted to mention that so we didn't get the usual half understood L&H nonsense that always follows a "will On The Hour get a full release?" thread.

Neil

Quote from: "benthalo"No, he specifically gave permission to someone who was seeking clearances a couple of years ago, and I read this statement on line. I heard from another source that Avalon were happy to co-operate.

I also wanted to mention that so we didn't get the usual half understood L&H nonsense that always follows a "will On The Hour get a full release?" thread.

Gosh, that's incredible, what a damn shame it never came to fruition!  I just remembered that we have the thing I referred to in the FAQ TJ wrote for this place: 'Lee and Herring have confirmed that this situation has since been resolved, and that there is now nothing preventing - unavoidable issues with copyright music aside - a full release of the series.'  I don't recall ever hearing about plans to actually rerelease them though, as I say, it's a bloody shame.