Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Armando Iannucci Shows

Started by TJ, February 03, 2004, 07:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

There were quite a few long and enthusiastic threads about this series before the site keeled over and spluttered lines of PHP everywhere, but even so people's enthusiasm for talking about the show never seemed to be exhausted, so it's probably right that we should have a thread devoted to it on the new board.

I was watching a few episodes the other day, and it really doesn't seem to lose any of its depth or ability to amuse and surprise no matter how many times you watch it. It moves between one-line visual gags ("...my clothes look gay") and extended set pieces (the wonderful routine on things that wouldn't be any great loss if they'd ever existed, for example - now I can't help thinking of the disdainful mention of "the novels of Wilbur Smith" whenever I'm browsing through the books in Oxfam) with brilliant ease. If you want to get profound about it, I'd say the show even has more to 'say' (in terms of reflecting common experience) than the supposedly naturalistic shows that the Radio Times and various awards ceremonies routinely wank themselves stupid over.

Does anyone know what's happening with the supposedly forthcoming DVD release? Any news on extras? Has it even been assigned a release date?

Vermschneid Mehearties

I wholeheartedely agree, and yet every single person I know personally hates it. Perhaps it's the laid-back style of it. Certain sketches were interesting and observational rather than, say, funny.

What strikes me is that there are so many funny moments, you end up forgetting them. I had the video on only the other day, and spat my cereal all over the table whilst hearing an Kenyan mother of two describe Simon Callow as "Wretched".

It's an absolutely top notch series, and should it come out on DVD, I will certainly get it.

A few memories:

"If you don't start working this instant, I'm gonna make you look like a fucking meccano set, you cheap piece of metallized crap. You're a washing machine for fuck's sake, now fucking wash. I will not tell you again!" <whirrr>

"I'm over here"

"In this instant, Hail and Pace have chosen to work in a shoe shop for 167 years. And there are no plans to turn it into a television series."

"If you don't improve...communications technology...four-fold, by 2005....I'll fucking kill you."

"And there's a picture of my mother-in-law going ROUND the house. The key there being that she is so vast, she actually envelops the house..."

"There's a bomb about to go off in a shopping centre, how fucking warm do you want!?"

"I'm sorry, we can't take your card. It says here you're a twat."

"Oh look honey...there's a new Champions League group stage starting.....AAAAAAOORRRRGGHHH...."

"..things which if they never existed, we could do without. Like say, the music of the bluetones, and the countries Chad, Paraguay and Laos."

I could go on.

As I say- Class. Best comedy series of 2001 (It was 2001 wasn't it? Or did the series spill over into 2002?)

Darrell

What a strange coincidence - I was just posting about this on the Mausoleum Club. With any luck, and circumstances permitting, Mr. Tandy might make an appearance to fill in any details.

I did actually expect the AI Shows to get a release as soon as Jam was announced - it just seemed the natural thing to happen.

The series is a masterpiece, I must have watched it countless times. "That's Except For Viewers In Scotland" is pure magic. And Hugh is a magnificent extension of the Day Today second world war sketch which so many people recently admitted to intensely disliking.

I have fond memories of discovering the series at episode 2 on its original transmission, and by the end of the run everybody I knew was doing Hugh impressions and saying how funny they thought the stuff about golf sales was. I also remember the NASA sketch as being the first time I'd seen the word 'cunt' on TV.

Bloody hell, I'm getting nostalgic about a two-year-old programme here...

gazzyk1ns

No answers to questions there but I do want to reiterate some enthusiasm which I showed on the old board.

My favourite sketch from all of the recent Armando shows was the one where a man was suffering from a condition whereby he had an adverse reaction to anything which happened more than once. It's funny at the start when it's kind of "detached from reality" - his wife has to make the bus take different routes and organises a war-re-enactment outside - but the best bits are when it really starts getting at the mundane repetition of some aspects of the media.

Wife (enthusiastically): "Look, they've found some previously unreleased Beatles songs!"

Bloke: "ohhh god...."

Wife: "Well how about we go and see a film then... there's a new romantic comedy starring Steve Martin out!"

Bloke: (vomits blood)

For me it just says it all. Every week some new rubbish comes out and there's endless hype about it; I really wonder whether the people doing the hyping are aware that they've said the same things about very slightly different productions literally hundreds of times before. Even more startling is the fact that most people never seem to bat an eyelid either. For example, when "Bruce Almighty" came out, I remember hearing someone say "haha, have you seen that new Jim Carrey film? He's got magical powers, haha, he makes this girl's skirt blow up...". I was lucky the bloke wasn't speaking to me directly, because I just remember standing there with a "You absolute fucking idiot!"-type expression on my face.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that so many people are happy to just work 9-5, 5 days a week in such appallingly mind-numbing jobs. After that grind, they're so "zombified" that any old rubbish which views itself as funny or entertaining... is.

Er... I've gone slightly off-topic there, sorry.

Entropy Balsmalch

It is truly stunning, but, as was mentioned above, not many people like it.

It's the perfect blend of sketch, stand up and satire, which I feel harks back to his Mary Whitehouse days, where a monolouge is often used as a set up to a sketch which will lead back into more monolouge.

I think a lot of people's problem with it though is Armando himself - certainly my girlfriend can't stand his delivery, and others find him a little smug or self-congratulatory.

Dr David V

What's big and small at the same time?

A big egg.

A brilliant show. I only know one person who doesn't like it, and he's on drugs.

butnut

I love what I've seen - but sadly, that's about 2 episodes. I have the imagination one, which is great. I love the sketch where the Pentagon guys get rung up by a British playwright, and they pay him millions of pounds, so that he doesn't put on the play that will change 'everything'.

I think Weekender was hosting some of these files. Is there any chance of some more reappearing online in the near future? Please?

Darrell

Quote from: "butnut"Is there any chance of some more reappearing online in the near future? Please?

Now the DVD's effectively a certainty, I don't think it would be wise or fair.

Dr David V

Quote from: "Darrell"Now the DVD's effectively a certainty, I don't think it would be wise or fair.
Is it? Where's that been mentioned then?

Darrell

Quote from: "Dr David V"
Quote from: "Darrell"Now the DVD's effectively a certainty, I don't think it would be wise or fair.
There was a recent Armando interview somewhere which closed by mentioning it.

easytarget

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Dr David V"
There was a recent Armando interview somewhere which closed by mentioning it.

This one : http://www.sundayherald.com/39172

Quote from: "The Sunday Herald"The DVD collection of The Armando Ianucci Shows will be released later this year

yes!

weekender

FUCKING STUPID CD DRIVE FUCKING CUNT

Sorry, can't do shit.

weekender

I'm a bit merry, excuse me, sorry.

I missed the first episode as I was out on the town, someone I know video'd it for me.  I admit, I watched it, and wasn't that impressed.  But then I watched the second episode when it was broadcast, and something clicked.  I watched the first episode again that same night, and it made a lot more sense.

I don't know if this seems a reasonable thought, but the Armando Shows are like Curb in a way - there's always some kind of underlying sentiment or message which seems to get across, even if it doesn't happen in that episode.

As I say, I'm rambling, sorry about that.

I've got the lot on some low quality captures that did the rounds, but if anyone's got high quality captures, please let me know, I'm assuming a DVD is out of the question because channel 4 don't have a clue.  Shame.

I've said before that I have difficulty being positive about television shows, I still stand by that.  The Armando shows deserve the hype though, if you like.  Wonderful television.

imitationleather

Twas the same for me. I thought it was just deeply unfunny when I saw it when it was originally broadcast and gave up after about four episodes. However, when you hosted the files, weekender it all made sense and it just came across as one of the most complete and well-made series I've ever seen.

Episode 1 is my favourite. It's just fantastic.

Uncle Gripper

The hardman cockney geezer is fantastic.  The sketch in the barbers when he's talking about the dyslexic cockney, absolute class.  and he fgets so fucking angry he's almost boiling, just thinking about theis muppet getting his 'dipthongs' all fucked up. ;-)

and the one about the sunday supplements, threatening the girl that she better get on and read them.  or hell have 'nutters from broadmoor in yeti suits' tailing her.

and the best was the home for middle aged men, amazing sketch.  "none of you will ever be astronauts" "possibility is a private party to which none of you are invited"  seriously good!!!!

imitationleather

Quote from: "Uncle Gripper"The hardman cockney geezer is fantastic.  The sketch in the barbers when he's talking about the dyslexic cockney, absolute class.  and he fgets so fucking angry he's almost boiling, just thinking about theis muppet getting his 'dipthongs' all fucked up. ;-)

Oh yes, and what's even better is that I live in the flats in Bow! That makes me almost a Z-list celebrity.

Darrell

Quote from: "weekender"I'm assuming a DVD is out of the question because channel 4 don't have a clue.

No, it is coming out this year through VCI. Which is why hosting captures is perhaps a bit dodgy now anyway.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Any comments about the value of a possible second series?

My thoughts are- give it 3-4 years, and then have a go.

Lt Plonker

I love the two episodes I've seen. We were talking about this at the meet, and I was trying to desperately describe my favourite bit. It's where he's giving a lecture on comedy and they spell his name incorectly on the display.

I was in hysterics over this entire segment.

Smackhead Kangaroo

I seem to remember that the reaosn that (reasonable) people disliked it was because it wasn't good as a TV show  despite being witty and well written it seemed better suited to  some other medium.
It just came across as aimless and meandering. not to mention the majority of the time coming to very unfulfilling conclusions for episodes.
If I coud remember any of it I'd feel at ease picking out any other line and appreciating it, but watching it wasn't much good at all.

TotalNightmare

i was waiting at the bbc reception lounge at portland place and there was mr Iannucci and i was blessed with the time to say a quick hello...

then he was stolen away from me, like that  )SNAP(  by some producer guy who referred to him as 'Maestro'... and quite right too.

What with his C4 show due out on DVD as well as the TDT release... im as happy as a pig in shit!

sigh

Morrisfan82

This is probably the most profound and deeply funny show I've ever seen. And I haven't seen them all yet! Roll on the DVD...

"...while viewers in Scotland got a gameshow hosted by Paul Coia."

benthalo

I'm sorry to break the news to you all after a day of jubilation, but the DVD is currently at risk of being shelved. Basically, the situation is this...

Channel 4 hold the rights to the show, and VCI is the favoured distributor, but the exorbitant costs of the sourced music (chiefly modern orchestral music and Frank Sinatra's All Or Nothing At All) push the preferred sales to what is deemed an unrealistic level. I'm sure there are alternatives but knowing Iannucci's work, music is not just slapped in - it always has a function, and the impact of a sequence often relies on the specific mood it creates. It would be a shame to unpick that.

Whatever. The C4/VCI release appears to have fallen through due to a perceived lack of interest.

We know better. The unrepeated shows are perpetually available for download, we've had long threads about it in the past... but the powers that be seem to have witnessed none of this. Personally, I see this as a very disappointing situation. Putting my own interpretation on events, The Armando Iannucci Shows fall between two stools. It's a great show - probably the last exceptional new comedy produced in this country - but a leftfield one, which can't necessarily depend on a slavish vintage TV market, the yoof vote or your mother as a buyer. My impression of message board discussions in the last two and a half years is that it has quite a sincere following, and I'm sure all of us would like to see a full and untampered release with the swathes of unused material which exists. Yes?

Here's what you can do. My understanding of the situation is that VCI *can* be persuaded via a demonstration of public interest that a release is possible, but it's currently in limbo. AIS is at risk of being sidelined entirely and never seeing the light of day. Taking this on board, people should be writing to talkbackTHAMES, but more particularly Channel 4, and voicing an interest. Nothing too elaborate - I suspect it'll only be glanced at anyway - but just stating an interest in finding out why it's not available to buy. Oh, and keep it polite, otherwise it'll go straight in the bin. It'll take minutes if you keep it simple.

Write to:

Paul Sowerbutts
4 Ventures
124 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 2TX.

Here he is: http://www.channel4.co.uk/4ventures/about/bio-paul-sowerbutts.html

Alternatively, or even in addition, you can make your feelings known with the original production company, talkbackTHAMES:

Alex Mahon
talkbackTHAMES
20-21 Newman Street
London
W1T 1PG

If people want to post this message on other boards, they're more than welcome. I'm sure there are enough people out there who give a sufficient toss. People often - rightly - complain that DVD companies are faceless and never leave a forwarding address. Here's a chance to make your feelings known, if indeed you care about this particular show. I'm often cynical about the idea of letter writing campaigns, but I'm assured that this particular one could have a very positive effect.

I'll post something similar on Mausoleum Club. Oh, and for my money, the Bon Mot dinner party in show 1 is amongst Iannucci's very best work - a great invocation of social horror, and perfectly performed.

butnut

Do you think an email to 4Ventures@channel4.co.uk would have any effect as well?

Thanks for the info. I think we should really try and get this DVD out.

Neil

I'm working on an Iannucci-filled update for today so I'll mention that in there.  I sincerely hope people get off their arses and do this, as you say there's been a lot of demand for the shows on here, not to mention in the Coo'd and Bomb'd Soulseek room.  In fact they are the most requested item just behind Blue Jam!

Dr David V

That sounds slightly worrying, but then we had similar doubts about jam being released on DVD. That's hardly on the same level of popularity as Phoenix Nights, is it, and with over 60 tracks featured the fees seem extortionate for such a release. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I don't think I should need to really.

Neil

Uncross those fingers and use them to write a letter.  There's no point just "hoping for the best", you have a chance to help get the show released on DVD.

benthalo

QuoteDo you think an email to 4Ventures@channel4.co.uk would have any effect as well?

Possibly, but I'd recommend snail mail to be honest. It's more effective in my experience.

It's terrible that E4 have never even touched the series, and C4 have left the repeat run incomplete. I fear that without a bit of effort from us lot, it'll join the ranks of Nightingales and Absolutely as fondly remembered but generally forgotten C4 shows.

Thanks for the support, Neil.

Jimmy

Just to say I LOVE this show, think I'll write a letter too.

Favourite bits, when he's trying to talk about football in the pub,

"you've got 22 legs Bergkamp, use them!"

"they can kick it anywhere"

The dinner party and the pie.

The man who's literally being bored to death.

Where Armando's giving relevant life skills to children "zu zazzza!"

The cockney gangster etc

Too much to mention. Shame it wasn't more widely seen. I tried to get a few of my mates to watch it but *sigh* you know what its like sometimes...

Wrigby

Indeed, it can be hard watching some comedy with your mates, if like most of mine, their ideal sort of funny is 'Friends'...gah!

It's been great reading this thread, as I only saw a handful of AI's shows when they were first shown, and I'd largely forgotten how good it was... So I've spend the last 30 mins or so trying to suppress guffaws when I should be fucking working.
His 'Facts and Fancies' book is worth a look too, I think a couple of the same sketches turned up in there.

Anyway, I've penned a note to Mr Sowerbutts too, so I hope its read and not spat upon.