Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube

Started by Uzi Lover, May 28, 2006, 03:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzi Lover

This seems to be everyone's favourite website at the moment. As I'm a bit overwhelmed by the near infinite amount of links, I thought I'd come here to ask if there's one link worth seeing. For me, it has to be the video for "Fuck Compton" by Tim Dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQawjPO99ZE

wheatgod

The "Links to things that are cool" thread has a load of YouTube links, check it out at the top of the topic list :)

Marv Orange

I was watching Conan O'Brian a few nights ago, and they had a guy on who had posted a video of himself on YouTube playing their theme tune solo on guitar found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7at85m4k9Z4

- so one day, a student posting a video, the next sitting in with the band on worldwide television. Quite something.

The Duck Man

I don't know how YouTube survives legally, it has loads of DVD rips on it. I'm surprised someone hasn't taken it down yet.

Blumf

I'd like to know how they survive financially. They've got to chew through a fair bit of bandwidth and at best they only have a couple of Google Ad sections placed on their page and they allow embedded vids without ads on other peoples web sites. What's the business model? (It's Web2.0(c)(tm) "we don't need no stinking business model!" dot.com bubble model isn't it?)

imitationleather

I read on Wikipedia that until now they've relied on investments, but the advertising spaces on the site are going to become among the most valuable on the internet. So, there you go.

opyty

For what it's worth, this article was on the BBC a couple of days ago. I particularly like this
QuoteLance Ulanoff, from PC Magazine, says: "It's a big time waster. People are sucked in. I like to call them iVideots. I'm an iVideot, it's iVideoism.
I like to call people like him uCunts.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "opyty"I like to call people like him uCunts.
Chuckle Of The Day! Thanks, opyty!

Uzi Lover

I heard they're clamping down on copyright protection after some 14 year old posted a video of himself being pleasured on a bus, and the girl's family took YouTube to court.

Suttonpubcrawl

It's ironic that YouTube is catching on just as most people are switching away from cathode ray tube computer monitors.

Cack Hen

Quote from: "The Duck Man"I don't know how YouTube survives legally, it has loads of DVD rips on it. I'm surprised someone hasn't taken it down yet.

The thing is, the film and television production companies are wising up to how their programmes and films get distributed on the Internet. File sharing and torrents are a much bigger issue for them and alot of them are already working on turning it into their favour. So basically, they're going to stop battling the Internet and join it, this means that in the not to distant future you could be downloading the latest episode of 24 direct from the Fox website (or whoever owns 24) which will be watermarked with advertisements.

So this is why I reckon YouTube is still going, it offers streaming clips, and in rare cases, whole episodes of copyrighted media, which is viewed by millions every day. It's an advertisers dream, really. The punter gets to watch a fairly low quality 5 minute clip of South Park or whatever and then thinks, yeah, I'll get that on DVD!

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Marv Orange"http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_list?user=DiggUser

500 cartoons.

Hells Teeth! "Bumbie's Mum" is on there! Nice one.

Felatio Imperative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiXdfOa7vE&search=rainbow%20zippy

This is quite funny, if only to hear Zippy say the 'f' word!

Pinball

How does one download a video from YouTube (ditto for Google video)? I'm buggered if I can work it out, and will naturally be posting a video of this quite soon.

opyty

One way is to use this
http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php
or there are Firefox extensions,...

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

What I want to know is: why has it taken until 2005-ish for something like youtube to exist?

Frinky

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What I want to know is: why has it taken until 2005-ish for something like youtube to exist?

Becuase the tecnology wasn't there.

uncle_rico

Quote from: "Felatio Imperative"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiXdfOa7vE&search=rainbow%20zippy

This is quite funny, if only to hear Zippy say the 'f' word!
Remember seeing that on TV Offal,about eight years ago.

I like this chap myself...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=artieTSMITW

mjwilson

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What I want to know is: why has it taken until 2005-ish for something like youtube to exist?

Which part of the technology though? What does it need, other than a billion servers and a shedload of bandwidth?

wheatgod

Broadband wasn't widespread enough for it to be worthwhile, I'm guessing.

LeboviciAB84

Quote from: "opyty"For what it's worth, this article was on the BBC a couple of days ago. I particularly like this
QuoteLance Ulanoff, from PC Magazine, says: "It's a big time waster. People are sucked in. I like to call them iVideots. I'm an iVideot, it's iVideoism.

Shut up, his name is like Lenin!

slim

Quote from: "Frinky"

Franky, I disagree, the technology was there long before mneutoob. Much as I dislike it, I think the reason menuboob exists now and not previously is that more and more companies/venture capitalists/whomever are willing to invest in bandwidth hungry sites these days because of the potential advertising revenue, thanks largely to Google's good performance post dot com bust.

Frinky

Not at the level it's at now, though. Most home PCs weren't capable of capping and ripping and editing all the video they wanted 2-3 years ago. Decent speed broadband is only just coming into play for everyone, too.

Yes, you might have had the tecnology 5-6 years ago, but it wasn't available to the average computer user. You have pro-shot 16mm film all the way down to mobile phone video on YouTube at the moment. All that encoding and capturing hardware, software, upload abilities, server-side software, codecs, etc, wasn't widespread untill recently.

slim

Ohhhh, you meant the people uploading and not the streaming technology. I stand corrected and erect. Sorry.

opyty

Quote from: "LeboviciAB84"
Quote from: "opyty"
Shut up, his name is like Lenin!
So it is. I hadn't noticed at the time. In fact isn't there a famous quotation
Quote from: "Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov"As long as our people are uneducated, cinema and circus are the most important of all the arts for us. We are all iVideots.

Phil_A

Excellent. I've found four episodes of Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, last seen on TV fourteen(!) years ago. Not to be confused with the awful Filmation series, this is the version by Ralph Bakshi and John Kricfalusi, which paved the way for Ren & Stimpy et al. The great thing is about watching these as an adult is the jokes actually make sense now...

Night Of The Bat-Bat
Night On Bald Pate
The Ice Goose Cometh
Day Of The Mice

DuncanC

It's the innovative use of Flash for playing a library of video that makes the new breed of video sites like Google Video and YouTube different. It means that you don't need to rely on people having the right plugins and codecs for Quicktime, Windows Media, Real Media, and everything else (which all have different interfaces and different compatibilities) - you only need to be able to play Flash, which all the main operating systems can and you only need to download one plugin, which almost everyone already has. I've no idea how long this has been possible, but it seems like its potential was only realised very recently rather than being a long-term goal that technology has only just caught up with.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Phil_A"Excellent. I've found four episodes of Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, last seen on TV fourteen(!) years ago. Not to be confused with the awful Filmation series, this is the version by Ralph Bakshi and John Kricfalusi, which paved the way for Ren & Stimpy et al. The great thing is about watching these as an adult is the jokes actually make sense now...

I remember these things really freaking me out as a kid. I just couldn't get a handle on what they were supposed to be (unlike Ren and Stimpy, which I got straightaway).

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "DuncanC"It's the innovative use of Flash for playing a library of video that makes the new breed of video sites like Google Video and YouTube different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people have been masturbating to that technology for quite some time now.