Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:47:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Newer Doctor Who

Started by Bert Thung, November 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like New Who?

Yes
67 (37.2%)
No
33 (18.3%)
Yes,  when RTD isn't writing it
41 (22.8%)
You're poll does not take account of my nuanced viewpoint
39 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Voting closed: November 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

Bert Thung

Since the old New Doctor Who thread is closed. and discussing it is going off topic a bit in the Torchwood thread and a lot in the Old Doctor Who thread, let's begin again.

These just in (now the OG news page has shut up shop)

Quote from: "BBC News"
Dr Who scores TV awards hat-trick

Doctor Who has scooped three prizes at the National Television Awards in a repeat of its success last year.

The BBC sci-fi drama won most popular drama, most popular actress for Billie Piper and most popular actor for David Tennant, who plays the Time Lord...

'Huge success'

The hat-trick of awards for Doctor Who was a sign the show has lost none of its popularity with David Tennant taking over the lead role.

Tennant's predecessor, Christopher Eccleston, took the best actor award in 2005.

"I think if my eight-year-old self could see me at the Royal Albert Hall winning a prize for playing the doctor on telly, he would need a stiff shot of Irn-Bru," said Tennant after collecting his award from Dame Julie Andrews...

The NTAs will be screened on ITV1 on 1 November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6104048.stm

Quote from: "The Sun"
Stunner's date with Timelord

November 01, 2006

SPOOKS stunner Miranda Raison is to star in the next series of Doctor Who — as a sexy showgirl.

She will appear in an episode set in 1930s New York. An insider said: "We always like to add a touch of glamour and Miranda's got it in spades."

Ex-Corrie star Anne Reid, 71, who played Valerie Barlow in the 1970s, has also signed up for the third series along with Ryan Carnes — gay Justin in Desperate Housewives.

The BBC1 hit is being filmed in Cardiff.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2006500566,00.html

mothman

YOUR poll, dammit. That annoys me so much. And, again with the celebrity castings. . .

Carlos Tevez

Not Doctor Who again for fuck's sake. It's BORING, new and old.

Deadman97

The apostrophe! It burns!

Carlos Tevez

Keep it in just to piss the grammar twats off.

wheatgod

And its spelt "noowonsd".

My Giddy Aunt

Quote from: "mothman"again with the celebrity castings. . .
Eh? They're both just established actresses aren't they?

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Sef"Keep it in just to piss the grammar twats off.
I will now with their rudeness.  We can all be gangsters behind the keyboard can't we?

chav

Quote from: "Sef"Keep it in just to piss the grammar twats off.
Sef, give us a smile! Go on, it won't hurt.

hencole

It's a childrens programme, and not a particularly good one.

variant

It's a childrens programme, and a particularly good one.

Catalogue Trousers

I'm sorry, is this just a five-minute argument or the full half-hour?

If you have a time machine why should it matter?

samadriel

I voted 'except for RTD', and then immediately realised that he didn't write Rise/Age -- possibly outzenithing Paradise Towers as the worst DW I've ever seen, because at least PT has the Kangs.

So, 'except for RTD and whoever the cyberdipshit was'.

Darrell

Exciting news - it seems that The Runaway Bride will feature at least one original song by The Divine Comedy!

EDIT: It's called 'Love Don't Roam'. And it seems that the series soundtrack CD will feature not only that but a new version of the song from last year's special with Hannon vocals.

lipsink

I see the Weakest Link are planning a DOCTOR WHO Special:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/weakest_who.shtml

Unfortunately it's only cast members from the most recent series. It would be great to see all the surviving Doctors play against each other. Mock me if you want but this is the kind of thing I'd like them to put on the extras of a Doctor Who DVD in future. It was the same with that Mastermind Doctor Who Special. Why didn't they put that on the first series DVD? I'd rather watch something like that than behind the scenes bollocks of someone shouting "That's a wrap!" while Billie Piper hugs RTD.

Catalogue Trousers

They're going to get the bloody Anne Droid to host it, aren't they? GAH.....

lipsink

Yeah and they'll probably have Captain Jack flirting with Anne too.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: "hencole"It's a childrens programme, and not a particularly good one.

I'm assuming you have a rich and varied awareness of contemporary children's programmes, then? Which are the best in your opinion?

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: "lipsink"I see the Weakest Link are planning a DOCTOR WHO Special:
:
I've got tickets!  I'm very excited and I don't care how silly that makes me.  It's at Pinewood Studios too, so I'm hoping for a glimpse at the 007 Stage to satisfy my two greatest obessions in one night.

wheatgod

Quote from: "Angst in my Pants"
I've got tickets!  I'm very excited and I don't care how silly that makes me.  It's at Pinewood Studios too, so I'm hoping for a glimpse at the 007 Stage to satisfy my two greatest obessions in one night.

Didn't that get burnt down?

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: "wheatgod"Didn't that get burnt down?
Oh bugger, yes.  Well I'm hoping for a glimpse at the charred remains of the 007 stage, then.

The Plaque Goblin

The biggest problem this new batch of Doctor Whos has is coming up with some truly great villains/monsters that will resonate beyond the end of the episodes they appear in.

Do you think this is possible? Do you have any ideas for any?

I think I have a couple. Is it worth me tryng to send them to Whasisname?

mothman

They already tried fan submissions, and what'd we get? The Absorbaloff.

The Duck Man

From a 10 year old, though. Be fair!

samadriel

Well, the Abzorbaloff was only supposed to be a one-off.  And he was good, too! (you heard me).

I think it's quite doable.  Do I think they'll manage it?  Come off it -- I'm working my faith gland hard enough just hoping that there'll be some decent stories next year.  I love old DW, but the best eps of the new series always have me thinking, "Oo, that was great/okay/alright, except for this, this, this, this, that, the other..."  Non-fans might think it unlikely, but new DW is asking many more concessions of me than most old DW episodes.

Angst in my Pants

I went along to the Weakest Link recording last night and it was all jolly good fun.  It took 3.5 hours to film (which is "a bit longer than normal" according to the lovely floor manager who let us share his cab afterwards), but was worth it as the contestants stayed around on set throughout (except Anne who stays in her "intimidate the guests" character throughout the evening).

Spoilers... would information about this be classed as spoilers?  If so, close thine eyes now.

The contestants:
David Tennant, John Barrowman, Tracy-Ann Oberman, Noel Clarke, Camille Coduri, Andrew Hayden-Smith, Nicholas Briggs, Claire Rushbrook (Ida from The Satan Pit/Impossible Planet) ... and K-9!

Anne Droid made an appearance for the introduction and publicity photographs.

The questions were a good mixture of the usual general knowledge sort and Doctor Who related.  I'd recommend it for Christmas viewing as it was funny, plenty of banter and put-downs/flirting between Anne and the contestants.

EDIT: Spelling corrections

lipsink

I think the gas mask child of The Empty Child was quite iconic and could be seen as a classic even though it was just 2 episodes. You get a lot of kids/adults quoting that "Are you my mummy?" line. I certainly found it the most memorable from the new stuff.

difbrook

did anyone give a listen to the concert from Cardiff this weekend? It's available on the Who website at the mo', and it's well worth it.

DT acts as Master of Ceremonies, and he's obviously having the time of his life...