Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vertical Men (And Women)

Started by Jemble Fred, March 31, 2004, 02:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Let's hear it for the vertical men and women. Two rather famous personages have shuffled off this week (Cooke and Ustinov) and as these things happen in threes it's no surprise that the mind turns to those heroes who are closer to the grave than the cradle. Watching the George Harrison tribute (shown on BBC1 this week I believe) also suggested to me the old adage that it's not until people are ready to rot that we take the time to celebrate their lives.

So this thread is for you to pre-empt the long Obituaries that will break out like a rash in all newspapers when so-and-so is found three days after death in front of the television, and everyone wishes they'd appreciated them while they were alive. Is there any reason why we should hold your Living Achiever in awe, of which we may not be aware? We can also dig up the thread when the people we nominate do finally snuff it, and see how close we were to the eventual eulogy. I'll start the ball rolling with two people whose deaths will piss me right off. Let's hear it for 'em while their hearts are still stable.

RINGO STARR!
The scythe caddy has dealt with the Fab Four in an order some might consider to be unchoosy, but I for one am filled with pleasure at the thought that Ringo is still out there somewhere, with over forty years of incredible memories and secrets available to share. Okay, so we might not all be waiting anxiously for his next single (as a lot of us would have been for John and George) but I think the world is a better place while Richard Starkey's still alive and kicking. Especially since he got rid of that sodding awful spiky haircut. Plus, the title for this thread is taken from his recent album, Vertical Man. Gawd bless ya, Richie.

It was with shock that I realised the other day that Dave Allen is also still out there somewhere, hopefully (if his marbles are all intact) still coming out with great gags for those who care to listen. I do hope he didn't die and I missed the news. It's got to be over ten years since he last appeared on TV or radio to my knowledge, and yet I don't recall him retiring. I loved Dave Allen's stand-up, his TV shows throughout the 80s and very early nineties contain (to my mind) some of the finest observational material I've heard, and his sketch shows contained some classics (notably the nuclear war sketch). Just thinking of the 'Nana rang' sequence now makes me chuckle. Plus, his attitude towards religion seemed light years ahead of his contemporaries. Can you imagine the effect the phrase 'Goodnight, and may your god go with you' must have originally had on our parents' generation? Thanks Dave.

In the name of the Father, and the Son, and into the hole he goes...

Johnny Yesno

I don't have an obituary for you but Dave Allen is(?) fucking funny. I liked his stuff about the word "shit", like him hearing some academic in America say "Ah, shit! I just stood in some dog doo-doo!", or some dealer asking him if he wanted to buy some shit and telling him it was good shit. He was surprised that not all shit was, well... shit.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Who of today's generation would we mourn?

The pop stars are shit, and the rock stars and DJs are dull.  The sport stars do it for money not passion or glory.  Most of the funnier comedians operate on the margins of public perception - if Chris Morris died tomorrow, where would he feature on News at Ten?

Will Bubble or Jade off Big Brother merit public celebrations of their lives and works when they depart this mortal coil?

So who are the true  greats of your g-g-generation?

butnut

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"if Chris Morris died tomorrow, where would he feature on News at Ten?

But Morris is dead...

I think if he did die tomorrow, he'd probably be on the news. One of those lighter stories at the end - with shots of people happily burning Brass Eye videos or something. "It's what he would have wanted"

Darrell

Ivor Cutler.
Neil Innes.
Michael Palin.

Neil

Strange you mention Ringo Jemble, I was just saying to Blue Jam last week that I'm sure he'll go before McCartney.  I have been on a big Beatles tip the last couple of weeks since alan strang kindly sent me the Let It Be movie.  I'd always thought McCartney to be an unbelievably grounded and likeable chap but am not so sure now!  He is a bossy dick in that movie, plus the letter Lennon sent to him and Linda is pretty stunning, not to mention the sentiments outlined in "How Do You Sleep?"  It'd be nigh on impossible to escape something as massive as The Beatles without some ego bloatage, but he'd always seemed so grounded before, it was a bit disappointing.  There's also his recent dicking about with song credits...this man was in The Beatles but still worries about how he will be remembered?!  Not sure what to make of him now really.  Mind you he wrote some cracking tunes, "I'll Follow The Sun" is a belter.

Quote from: "Neil"Strange you mention Ringo Jemble, I was just saying to Blue Jam last week that I'm sure he'll go before McCartney.

But McCartney died in 1969... Urban Legends never lie.

Neil

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"But McCartney died in 1969... Urban Legends never lie.

Heh. Lennon references that nonsense in the afore-mentioned song:

QuoteSo Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise
You better see right through that mother's eyes
Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
The one mistake you made was in your head

Fascinating how people come up with that kind of thing, and find so many "facts" to state their case.  It's like what Daves says about the number 23 appearing in lots of places, once you start looking for it, it DOES start appearing in lots of places!  

There is some stupid thing about Lennon and the number 9 too...

Des Nilsen

Robert Crumb - fantastic artist, I assume he's still working, and I think he'll be 60 this year.
H.R Geiger - another great artist, best known for his xenomorph/alien designs.
John Fowles - author.
Marlon Brando - Hopefully he won't peg it for a while yet. Occasionally acts.

-

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"But McCartney died in 1969... Urban Legends never lie.

Heh. Lennon references that nonsense in the afore-mentioned song:

QuoteSo Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise
You better see right through that mother's eyes
Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
The one mistake you made was in your head

Fascinating how people come up with that kind of thing, and find so many "facts" to state their case.  It's like what Daves says about the number 23 appearing in lots of places, once you start looking for it, it DOES start appearing in lots of places!  

Why someone hasn't made a movie of it though is beyond me, a really disturbing fictional account of Paul Mcartneys death and replacement by shadowy figures controlling the Beatles and the remaining threes attempts to leak clues into the public domain. It would be good.

QuoteThere is some stupid thing about Lennon and the number 9 too...

As in Revolution 9?

Rats

I watched the documentary about him, "crumb" last week. It was class. Carry on.

Neil

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Why someone hasn't made a movie of it though is beyond me, a really disturbing fictional account of Paul Mcartneys death and replacement by shadowy figures controlling the Beatles and the remaining threes attempts to leak clues into the public domain. It would be good.

Cor, that does sound good!  Mind you, you came up with the idea for Director's Commentary and I understand that didn't turn out too well :)

QuoteAs in Revolution 9?

Yes, but the list I saw the other night had some really bizarre calculations on it to reach the 9's.   just did a quick google and found this page, I'll see if I can find the one I was looking at the other night:
http://www.rareexception.com/Garden/Beatles/Number9.php

Cerys

I'm not going to say whose death would really piss me off, in case it makes it happen.  No, really.

butnut

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"[bJohn Fowles[/b] - author.
-

I love John Fowles! I've been meaning to do his journals for a while now. My mum's got a copy, so I'll have to nick that.

Shame he's written virtually nothing in the last 20 years or so. I think I heard something about his wife being ill and then dying, and this is the reason for his creative silence.

Still, surely one of England, if not the world's greatest living novelists.

Jemble Fred

I've still not seen all of Let It Be, but what I have seen, for me just illustrates the fact that poor old Macca was absolutely desperate to keep the best band that could ever be going, against all the odds, dealing with pissed off George, unadventurous Ringo and fucking Heroin-sniffing John. No wonder he practically had a nervous breakdown. In fact...

PAUL McCARTNEY
Has to be the ultimate name for this thread. So many blinkered twats (not including anyone on here in that, BTW) just go around genuinely thinking 'Paul McCartney = The Frog Song, John Lennon = JEENIOOSSS!' but I think it will only take the first ten minutes of the month-long seemingly endless tributes that will appear when Macca finally bites the dust to shake the twats up and make them realise that they have been sharing the planet with the most important musician of the late twentieth century. And the good thing is - he's still alive! And making music! His last two albums were miles ahead of the vast majority of young recording artists' work. Except for 'Freedom', of course. (Why do you always have to do something to make right-minded people despise you, Paul?)

Borboski

Paul McCartney.

Garrghh.

A man who recorded the frog song and mull of kintire with no trace of irony.

Michael Parkinson seems to like him though doesn't he?

Excuse this whining petulant comment, but it is cathartic. The man is a loon and lives in the same world as Sting, Phil Collins, Billy Connelly, et al.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"So many blinkered twats just go around genuinely thinking 'Paul McCartney = The Frog Song...

elderford

Wings - The band the Beatles could have been.

Oh Aye, he did invent the mullet as well:
http://www.mulletmadness.com/editorial-paul-mccartney.html

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"So many blinkered twats just go around genuinely thinking 'Paul McCartney = The Frog Song...

But there's so much more to depise him for than that. Give him a few more years and he'll be Chris De Burgh.

Des Nilsen

There's a great bit in 'Smashie & Nicey - End Of An Era' where Dave Nice bans Paul McCartney's 'Frog Chorus' from Radio FAB...

Quote from: "Nicey, more or less"
...The new single from Paul McCartney contains the refrain "bum, bum, bum, bum, bum" - I don't wanna' hear about your nether-regions Mr McCartney, and I'm not playing this shit on my show. Here's Frankie Goes To Hollywood and 'Relax'...

:)

(Edit - I messed up and got the wrong name. I've just watched the show mentioned and thought I'd correct things).

-

bill hicks

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I've still not seen all of Let It Be, but what I have seen, for me just illustrates the fact that poor old Macca was absolutely desperate to keep the best band that could ever be going, against all the odds, dealing with pissed off George, unadventurous Ringo and fucking Heroin-sniffing John. No wonder he practically had a nervous breakdown. In fact...

PAUL McCARTNEY
Has to be the ultimate name for this thread. So many blinkered twats (not including anyone on here in that, BTW) just go around genuinely thinking 'Paul McCartney = The Frog Song, John Lennon = JEENIOOSSS!' but I think it will only take the first ten minutes of the month-long seemingly endless tributes that will appear when Macca finally bites the dust to shake the twats up and make them realise that they have been sharing the planet with the most important musician of the late twentieth century. And the good thing is - he's still alive! And making music! His last two albums were miles ahead of the vast majority of young recording artists' work. Except for 'Freedom', of course. (Why do you always have to do something to make right-minded people despise you, Paul?)

That doesn't work really does it Jemble? Of course we've been sharing the planet with the most important musician of the late-20th century. (Unless you're 3 obviously).

Jemble Fred

Hmmm... George fan? Fair do's. Anyway, I can't resist another one...

TERRY JONES
Of course it could just as easily be any other Python, but, having stayed in this country and followed the History/Children's Story path rather than becoming a travel Titan, or a legendary director, (he's still a great director, don't get me wrong) or a guest star in a shit US sitcom, he seems to be the Python that has remained most true to himself, the most approachable, and the most, dare I say it, loveable. His energy and enthusiasm in the recent Medieval series, coupled with his ability to re-examine well-worn stories and find fresh views and details, were such a joy to behold. I very much hope for at least another couple of decades of Terry, growing ever more squeaky and eccentric, and making quality TV shows and books.

Does he have a daughter? I don't care what she looks like, I'd love Jonesy for a father-in-law.

Borboski

Paul McCartney.

Garrghh.

Excuse this whining petulant comment, but it is cathartic. The man is a loon and lives in the same world as Sting, Phil Collins, Billy Connelly, et al.

butnut

Quote from: "Borboski"

Paul McCartney.

Garrghh.

Er... is this the biggest time gap in a double post ever, or a deliberate thing?

Quote from: "butnut"
Quote from: "Borboski"

Paul McCartney.

Garrghh.

Er... is this the biggest time gap in a double post ever, or a deliberate thing?

They are both proving themselves right by quoting themselves.

But they are both wrong, the most important thing about Macca is neither the frog chorus nor the fact that some people bring up the frog chorus... The most important thing is his elastic face which slips further south with each passing year - he can tie his cheeks behind the back of his head and he's right to do so because one sharp whack on the back and his entire face could fall off.

Purple Tentacle

Refusing to sign albums and spending twenty years whingeing about John "Dead" Lennon does it for me.

As Lee and Herring said, he was in THE BEATLES..... why does he still seek recognition and act like a spoilt child?

I file Macca in my Eric Idle drawer.

elderford

All you need to know about Macca, is that as a young boy, when his mother told him off, to get revenge he would take a pair of scissors and make small cuts in her net curtains.

Sly.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "elderford"All you need to know about Macca, is that as a young boy, when his mother told him off, to get revenge he would take a pair of scissors and make small cuts in her net curtains.

Sly.

He also says that his most shameful moment was when McCartney Senior told little Paul and Mike that their Mum was dead, Paul's first reaction was 'What will we do without her money?' His Dad twatted him, and Macca's never forgiven himself. But at least he's very aware of things like that. He doesn't claim to be perfect. But I think he can be forgiven for claiming to be a musical genius, no matter how much shite has has come up with. For every shit song, there's at least three classics.

Mull of Kintyre in one half of the scales, She's Leaving Home, Get Back and Maybe I'm Amazed in the other.

Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a McCartney baiting/defending thread. Someone else on here must cherish at least one other living being?

mrpants

I think I would miss Hunter Thompson.  For someone in his 60s he does seem to drink/ smoke/ snort coke an awful lot, or maybe I'm just buying into his legend a bit too much.

I think he's the best writer/ journalist I've ever read and I love his turn of phrase.

I think he broke his leg the other day...

Borboski

Quote from: "elderford"All you need to know about Macca, is that as a young boy, when his mother told him off, to get revenge he would take a pair of scissors and make small cuts in her net curtains.

Sly.

He also says that his most shameful moment was when McCartney Senior told little Paul and Mike that their Mum was dead, Paul's first reaction was 'What will we do without her money?' His Dad twatted him, and Macca's never forgiven himself. But at least he's very aware of things like that. He doesn't claim to be perfect. But I think he can be forgiven for claiming to be a musical genius, no matter how much shite has has come up with. For every shit song, there's at least three classics.

Mull of Kintyre in one half of the scales, She's Leaving Home, Get Back and Maybe I'm Amazed in the other.

Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a McCartney baiting/defending thread. Someone else on here must cherish at least one other living being?

Yes quite right, I was aware when I posted that it essentially trolling - just a knee jerk moan, and it's not as if you were going to go - oh you're right, thankyou Borboski for lifting the veil from my eyes!

Lots of people like him grumble grumble... I tend to think that a lot of them don't criticise the band in the same way the criticise others because of this mythology around them. And I have no preference for Lennon. Imagine is the biggest load of tosh I've ever heard, especially if you consider how incredibly well off the man was. Plus if Fran Healy (?) and Gweniff Paltrow decided to stay in bed for world peace, well I should hope they'd be firebombed very quickly.

Oops... started ranting again.

But apologies anyway.... Um. I like that GunsNRoses cover of Live and Let Live?