Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The indecipherableness of 'Vindictive' by The Slits

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, June 17, 2007, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

One of my life's passions/obsessions is deciphering Slits lyrics. Several websites have tried, but they're full of errors. Which isn't surprising, since Slits lyrics are often maddeningly inaudible. They make the Cocteau Twins sound like Brian Sewell.

Some of the mysteries were solved when ex-drummer Palmolive donated some of her lyric sheets to a Slits website a few years back. But many remain untranscribed. One that remains particularly elusive is 'Vindictive' (aka 'Let's Do the Split'), recorded for their first Peel session in 1977. The first verse is particularly impossible to work out, although the opening word is almost certainly 'Vindictive' itself. I've put the track through various filters, trying to isolate the vocals as best I can, but I remain none the wiser. The numerous live bootlegs of the song are even more garbled. I've written to all members of the band, asking them to put me out of my misery, but none of them have replied.

Apparently there are plans for the reunited Slits to re-record the song as a single this year, which suggests that singer Ari Up can still remember what the words were. Unless she's (brrr) written new ones.   

Anyway, here's an mp3 of the track, and below are the words I've been able to make out. Have a go and see if you can make them out; sometimes all it takes is a different pair of ears. And if you think any of my guesses are wrong, then suggest better ones.

Come on, we can do it together. Even though I'm the only person in the world who really cares.

VINDICTIVE

Vindictive [.......precious stones?..........] are you a man?
Vindictive [............] don't drive them mad
You're wasting your breath, don't expect it a look in
I know that it hurts, but I love that white lie
Vindictive [.......precious stones?..........] are you a man?
Vindictive [............] don't drive them mad
You're wasting your breath, don't expect it a look in

Chorus
Let's do the split - I shit on it!
Let's do the snake - I spit on it!
Let's do the split - I shit on it!
Let's do the snake - I spit on it!

Nagging your mother, and you're so wrong
Shooting your load and then you took so long
You find your place, I'll find mine

Repeat chorus three times

Nobody's safe, yeah, you heard what I said
He swing both ways - a regular man
I walked out the door, he stood there and cried
I care no more, but he see me last night

Repeat chorus

Godzilla Bankrolls

If only Weird Al had appeared on Australian panel show Spicks and Specks with Ari Up at some point.

And performed an accordion version of 'Vindictive'.

Sorry for the whimsy, Lalla - I'll let the proper Slits fans come in now.

JesusAndYourBush

It just seems to be the first verse you're having problems with.  I tried to remove the music, which helped a little, and I get this.

Vindictive, i'm precious guys, don't look at me
Vindictive, I'm precious, don't throw it away
You're wasting your breath, don't expect a look in
I know that it hurts, but I love that white lie
Vindictive, i'm precious guys, don't look at me
Vindictive, I'm precious, don't throw it away
You're wasting your words, don't expect it a look in

Oh, and I heard a few different words for this bit...

Nagging your mother, no you're so wrong
Shouting so loud and then you took so long
You find your place, I'll find mine

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Nice filter work, Jesus.

I'm not really convinced by 'I'm precious guys, don't look at me'. Although you may be right about about 'shouting so loud'.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on June 18, 2007, 10:26:21 PM
Although you may be right about about 'shouting so loud'.

That one's clear as anything to me, I'm surprised you heard it as anything else!

daisy11

Their 'Shoplifting' song is much more fun, it makes me and a friend laugh every time.

JesusAndYourBush

I think now is the time to confess that the first time I ever heard the song I heard it as...

QuoteLes Dawson - I shit on it!
Les Dawson - I spit on it!
Les Dawson - I shit on it!
Les Dawson - I spit on it!

Glebe

Got Cut recently. Oddly, I discovered The Slits through The Red Hot Chilli Peppers of all things-heard Typical Girls a few years ago, when a friend got this.

neveragain

The Cocteau Twins are surely the worst for this. A frustrating barrage of dead languages run backwards, with the occassional few words translated correctly in order to make us more confused. Sounds nice of course, but still.

That Slits track has disappeared now, by the way.