Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Grade - New Chairman of the BBC

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, April 02, 2004, 12:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo Sexwhale

According to Radio 5 just now.

Looks like curtains for the new Doctor Who...

yak

Mr Flunchy

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Mr Flunchy"How so?
Because.  This is shockingly horrible news.

Cerys

Ah, hell.  I tried, you know.  I'd be trying something a little more evil right now, only I suspect it'd be bad for my karma.

Darrell

Rev

fanny splendid

On BBC breakfast this morning, they had the news about Michael Grade, and then they interviewed Christopher Ecclestone about his role in the forthcoming children's program, Dr Who.

I don't know if there's a connection.

Purple Tentacle

Michael Grade won't have any significant influence on programming.... that's the Director General and Head of Programming's job.

Ambient Sheep

Hopefully PT's probably right.  If Grade was DG it'd be a different matter.

However isn't there a rather more serious problem we should be worried about?  Considering that this IS a Chris Morris site?  This is a serious problem if CM ever wants to go back to the Beeb, and as Chairman of the Governors, Grade *will* be involved in taste and decency issues...

He probably hates The Goodies as well.  Although I have no actual knowledge about that.

Still it could have been worse.  It could have been John Birt.

I've also just discovered that he was the bastard who axed the Tripods, just before the final series that would have completed the story.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Michael Grade won't have any significant influence on programming.... that's the Director General and Head of Programming's job.
Hmm, because he's quite a hands-off kinda guy I heard :-(

Jonny Jonny Butter Fiend

The new BBC Chairman clarifies his position on Who.

Since Michael Grade was announced as the new BBC chairman this morning, Doctor Who fans have been nervously waiting to see what he has to say about the new series.

Famous Who-hater Grade suspended the original series in 1985 when he was Controller of BBC1. He has since gone on record about his dislike for the show and science-fiction in general. Speaking on ITV's This Morning show in 1999 he said of Doctor Who, "I hated it, it was awful."

Who fans can breathe a sigh of relief though. Interviewed this afternoon by BBC Radio Four, Grade said of the new series: "This time it's none of my business what happens to Doctor Who, as long as I don't have to watch it."

Phew!
========================================
From www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho