Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ON THE HOUR CD RELEASE

Started by Ray Le Otter, February 08, 2008, 12:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Le Otter

I might be a bit slow on the uptake but I read this on Roobarbs:

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showthread.php?t=22570

From Jason B:

"Just pinched this from a web mail out from Framestore design

On The Hour
95% of the artwork for this 2 x 6cd box set for Chris Morris' radio show 'On The Hour' has been completed."

Ooh.

Beck

Blimey. I was wondering if this would ever happen. I'll probably buy it for completism's sake, but I suppose it isn't as exciting a prospect as it seemed initially, since the available caps are essentially perfect quality. I guess there's rarely ever anything in the way of extras on BBC radio CD releases, is there...?

benjula

Fantastic, will buy this as soon as it comes out!.

ApexJazz

sirkobble wrote:

The unaired pilot episode exists at the very least on first-gen audio cassette, copied for the participants. Most of it was used in series 1, although there are extra lines in some of the sketches, and an entire (terrible) segment of some length featuring Andrew Glover. Maybe just pull the Glover segment out as a bonus track.

The five Series 1 episodes exist uncut in their longest versions. Episodes 1-3 are about 24-25 minutes each, and 4 and 5 are a full 30 minutes.

The 1991 Christmas special seemingly doesn't exist in its original form. In 1992 three sections were removed and rewritten/re-recorded/replaced with more topical bits, and it's this version that exists in the archive. Whether the original version or its unique bits exist isn't known. I once reconstructed the 1991 version using an original off-air and the BBC7 repeat of the 1992 version.

Series 2 episodes 1-4 exist on masters as edited repeats, with all the edited bits physically stuck back onto the end of the tapes. These would need re-editing, either physically or digitally, to be complete again.

Series 2 episode 5 is missing from the archive. If they haven't found it, restoring an off-air will be the only option. There are bits on the best-of tapes so there are at least a few pieces in broadcast quality from the master of that.

Series 2 episode 6 exists as 1-4 do, and needs fiddling with to be complete. This is the only episode from which no sketches were pulled for the 'best of' tapes.

The Radio 1 special 'Newsbanger!' is just a 10 minute best of culled from the commercial tapes, with short new Morris links. Not even worth digging up.

The Chris Morris Select flexidisc really belongs as part of the On The Hour oeuvre, continuing as it does with several runners from the series. Presumably the master to that exists. If not, there are some pretty pristine copies in the hands of collectors.

There are also some in-character appearances from certain characters on things like Loose Ends and the like, which I know exist in private hands too, together with documentation as to exact dates etc. If that bloody Hitchhiker's 'Sheila's Ear' clip counts as a mini-episode then so do these.

I really hope they do this right, with every episode as long as it went out originally.

neveragain

Well, I sincerely hope they got it right but thousands of thanks go to Cookd anyway for allowing myself and others the chance to own the proper versions.

Also, I agree with Darkobble, that Andrew Glover bit in the pilot is terrible! What on earth were they thinking, it doesn't fit in with the style at all. Obviously the style wasn't finalised as this was merely the pilot but judging from everything else within that half hour they had a pretty good idea what the plan was. The Glover bit, however, is just him wittering on about rockstars with no particular aim for what seems like ten minutes.

So, will this have everything including the Lee and Herring material?

weirdbeard

On a related topic, an interesting synopsis for an upcoming BBC7 repeat.

QuoteCOMEDY: On the Hour
On: BBC 7 (B)   
Date: Thursday 21st February 2008 (starting in 12 days)
Time: 11:30 pm to 12:00 am (30 minutes long)

A one-off alert is set for Thursday 21st February 2008, 15 minutes before 23:30
BBC 7 debut for this freshly retrieved episode of the news show parody, hosted by Chris Morris. First broadcast in April 1992. Episode 2 of 6.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=36432

Presuming this is 2.5 they really mean, have they found the master, or using an off-air copy?

The Mumbler

It might be the original edit of 2.2. BBC7 usually run the edited repeat (two minutes shorter) from summer 92.

Godzilla Bankrolls

ON THE HOUR IS FINALLY COMING OUT ON CD

Get this thread stickied. Does anyone know anything about the edits? Extras? Promo material? You might get David Schneider popping up on Loose Ends.

2x6cd? That can't be right.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on February 11, 2008, 01:24:50 AM
Get this thread stickied.

Don't do that! We want people to actually read it, surely?

Beck

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on February 11, 2008, 01:24:50 AM
ON THE HOUR IS FINALLY COMING OUT ON CD

Get this thread stickied. Does anyone know anything about the edits? Extras? Promo material? You might get David Schneider popping up on Loose Ends.

2x6cd? That can't be right.

Can't it? Two sets of 6 eps (including the Xmas show) makes sense laid out like that, doesn't it? You could probably fit the 3 shorter (25~ min.) shows on 1 disc but I imagine the BBC would rather have two-to-a-disc so it's consistent with their other releases. Extras would be lovely but for some reason I'm doubtful...oh, because it's a CM-related release, probably.

13 schoolyards

The Day Today wasn't exactly short of extras tho.  Do comedy shows on CD usually have a lot of extras?

And forgive me if my maths is crap, but doesn't 2x6 cd = 12 cds?  One per episode seems a tad excessive.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 11, 2008, 03:44:34 AM
The Day Today wasn't exactly short of extras tho.  Do comedy shows on CD usually have a lot of extras?

If the release has a good producer, they can. Some of the ISIHAC releases feature full sessions as opposed to transmitted edits, the full Little Britain release had plenty of outtakes, and the 'At The BBC' are pretty much fantastic collections of 'audio extras'.

QuoteAnd forgive me if my maths is crap, but doesn't 2x6 cd = 12 cds?  One per episode seems a tad excessive.

Yer, I thought it was one CD per ep too!

boxofslice

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on February 11, 2008, 11:48:23 AM
If the release has a good producer, they can. Some of the ISIHAC releases feature full sessions as opposed to transmitted edits, the full Little Britain release had plenty of outtakes, and the 'At The BBC' are pretty much fantastic collections of 'audio extras'.

Yer, I thought it was one CD per ep too!

The thing with those shows is they are taped before a studio audience so the possibility for out-takes is greater whereas OTH is all done in studio with a tighter script so the opportunites a fewer.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Nope, there were fuckloads of outtakes. A lot of the stuff was improvised too, don't forget.

Beck

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 11, 2008, 03:44:34 AM

And forgive me if my maths is crap, but doesn't 2x6 cd = 12 cds?  One per episode seems a tad excessive.

...Why, yes it is. Blimey, my maths is terrible.

weirdbeard

Quote from: The Mumbler on February 09, 2008, 06:57:22 PM
It might be the original edit of 2.2. BBC7 usually run the edited repeat (two minutes shorter) from summer 92.

No, it was indeed 2.5 broadcast.

The Mumbler

I actually heard this, and it was indeed. However, it was missing the Soviet's nuclear attack on Chicago item.

Pinball

The BBC have taken a hopelessly long time to release this on CD. Sadly I won't be buying it as I've listened to the lovely (longer) MP3s so many times.

It's amusing how incompetent alleged 'media companies' are, isn't it? We are better than them in terms of remastering, missing segments, out-takes, extras etc., despite the fact that shows/releases are all they do... Seriously unimpressive. And do I even need to mention the lack of boxset releases for Goodies and numerous other programmes? Incompetent BBC twats.

Glebe

Nice, I just have the cassette.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Fucking WOW:

QuoteSERIES 1

Disc 1
Episodes One And Two
Disc 2
Episodes Three And Four
Disc 3
Episode Five And Christmas Special
Disc 4
Extras
On The Hour Pilot - Recorded In February 1991

SERIES 2

Disc 1
Episodes One And Two
Disc 2
Episodes Three And Four
Disc 3
Episode Five And Six
Disc 4
Extras
Select Flexi Disc
Resurrection Cattle
Partridge Rushes - Badminton
Partridge Rushes - Synchronised Swimming
Partridge Rushes - Tennis
Partridge Rushes - Sumo

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/27/30/-/7199865/On-The-Hour-Series-1/Product.html?searchtype=genre&tduid=9da7cdeaa98b30335b53d4ba367ad858

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/7199869/On-The-Hour-Series-2/Product.html?tduid=9da7cdeaa98b30335b53d4ba367ad858

Do a little dance, make a little love. I wonder what 'Extras' constitutes? And will these be the full edits? If only the person compiling this could make themselves known.

misterfridge

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on October 23, 2008, 12:44:45 PM
I wonder what 'Extras' constitutes?

The stuff beneath the word 'Extras' would presumably be the extras.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: misterfridge on October 23, 2008, 01:01:06 PM
The stuff beneath the word 'Extras' would presumably be the extras.

Hmm, the way I've quoted Play hasn't made it clear, but 'Extras' is listed as 'Track 1', and the stuff beneath as 'Track 2' etc. I'm assuming there were trails at the time?

wherearethespoons

It's not really fair that they put this description for both series, is it?

Quoteand* Steve Coogan* (in his first appearance as Alan Partridge)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: wherearethespoons on October 23, 2008, 01:07:32 PM
It's not really fair that they put this description for both series, is it?

True, but they're obviously hoping to sell it to (evidently incurious) Partridge fans who've never heard/heard of OTH. It makes sense in terms of sales.

Lee

Cor:

Is this being released on Warp or BBC?

EDIT: Also, is that a new logo, or was it used back in the day too? It's certainly better than this:

Godzilla Bankrolls

That design is amazing!

'Resurrection Cattle' - could this be the 'fossilised Christ' Morris has excised by Iannucci, and later revived for Why Bother??

I'd like to know who put this all together, and where they got those rushes from. I don't think anything unbroadcast was logged in the Sound Archive, and presumably Adam Tandy has been busy working on In The Loop.

Quote from: Lee on October 23, 2008, 03:17:49 PM

Is this being released on Warp or BBC?

Warp, apparently.  (According to the listing on Amazon).

Can't find any info about this release on Warp's website, though.

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on October 23, 2008, 03:39:44 PM
That design is amazing!

Joking, surely? It's fucking hideous, like a first year design student who couldn't really be bothered. There's even a fucking lens flare!

Ambient Sheep

Ah, but isn't it an ironic lens flare?

Great news, though!