Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:42:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm Alan Partridge Series 2

Started by Leo2112, April 11, 2008, 03:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo2112

I've only just got round to watching this again since it aired and have remembered back to some of the negative comments levelled at it on this forum.  The series flowed rather better than I anticipated although many of the additions to the series (Ukranian girlfriend) still feel rather half-baked.  It's also interesting that Iannucci has since slated the series in the 'Armando Iannucci shows' commentary.  What are your thoughts on the series now?  Was the character of Partridge changed irrevocably from his earlier incarnations?

Famous Mortimer

I liked it, quite a lot as I recall.

FEEL MY REVIEWING POWER

idunnosomename

I thought it was RUBBISH!

A wealth of opinions

wheatgod

It was alright.

THE CORNUCOPIA OF INSIGHTS CONTINUES TO GROW

CaledonianGonzo

I was out the country when it aired, so viewed it later, entirely unencumbered by any prejudice I might have acquired through print or online media.  I found it flawed but enjoyable, and re-watching it provides a surprisingly high chuckle-factor.  In terms of laugh it loud moments, it probably even trumps the televised KMKYWAP.

WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU FIND CRITIQUES OF SUCH BEWILDERING DIVERSITY?

Sealink

It was hyperactive compared to Series 1, but there were nice moments. I liked the Ukrainian girlfriend, and the hunky builder who just sort of grunted. But stuff like the balancing table was too OTT.

SOMETHING ABOUT REVIEWS - HERE!

Derek Trucks

I always see it as the televisual equivalent of The Stones Roses' Second Coming (though I'd much rather spend time watching IAP2) in that, despite a 5 year gap from the previous output it felt extremely rushed and suffered structurally as a result.  Listening to the DVD audio commentaries for all 3 Partridge TV shows it is clear that Ianucci et al always worked by the skin of their teeth, writing and rewriting right up to (and indeed during) the shooting.  Now that's ok on a show like KMKY in which every episode had to adhere to a certain structure & pace in order to recreate the genre it was spoofing, and they pretty much got away with it on IAP1, but the second series is a lot more reliant on out-and-out gags/phrases than on believable comic situations.  Interestingly enough the first 3 episodes of the series do seem to flow reasonably well, again from the commentaries I think a lot of planning went into episode 1 as they wanted more then a straight 'setting the scene' episode.  Episode 2 does contain a number of laughs, but by listening closely one can realise that the conversation with Alan & Pete Morant dosen't actually go anywhere, it's incredibly clunky.  Then the final 3 episodes are much more 'wolly', episode 5 (with the IR visit) almost feels like it was made up on the spot, without a solid plot structure it's just weak gag after weak gag.  And I think for these reasons it's logical that the strongest element of that series were the conversations between Alan & Dave Clifton (which I think are better than their S1 equivalent) as the writers do not need to worry about plot during these points and can flex their comedic muscles fully.

So yes, a decent series but it's easy to see why it never fully reached the heights of the 2 previous AP series.

I remember quite enjoying it, apart from finding the laugh track a bit overbearing. Would like to see it again with the above comments in mind

Bean Is A Carrot

Quote from: Derek Trucks on April 11, 2008, 09:03:37 AM
Listening to the DVD audio commentaries for all 3 Partridge TV shows it is clear that Ianucci et al always worked by the skin of their teeth, writing and rewriting right up to (and indeed during) the shooting.

So that's why the recording I went to took FOREVER. And I sat through a Time Gentleman Please recording!

thugler

It was great. certainly as good as the first series.

Cold Meat Platter

watched it recently again and i think it's actually the best of all 3 partridge series.

the foot/spike caper and ensuing presentation had me pishing myself while on my own and not stoned/pissed up on booze.
And the bond episode has some lovely moments in it too.

however, coogan's run on recent viewing turned out to be a load of old penis.

El Unicornio, mang

It's great. Different tone to the first series, bit too much slapstick for my taste,  but some really funny moments, such as:

Alan recreating the intro to The Spy Who Loved Me

The foot on the spike and the presentation that follows

Walking around "Bono's House"

Beans in a Cup

Bang! Crash! Wallop! What a Video!

Uncle TechTip

This has no doubt been noted elsewhere, but the Daily Mirror are claiming they will give away every episode from both series of IAP over the next fortnight. Starts tomorrow or Monday I think.

papalaz4444244

What's not to like?

The air bass scene.

Mikes helicopter speech.

"But Allin, you caaaant!"

Back of the net!

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on April 11, 2008, 06:51:14 PM
The air bass scene.

Every time I see that, I find it almost mesmerizing, especially on the DVD menu loop.  His bass miming is superb.  Does Coogan play the bass?

Lt Plonker

Quote from: trotsky assortment on April 11, 2008, 06:59:23 PM
Every time I see that, I find it almost mesmerizing, especially on the DVD menu loop.  His bass miming is superb.  Does Coogan play the bass?

It's the bit where he then proceeds to take it off, realises the absurdity of it and quickly dimisses the whole thing that tickles me.

Ja'moke

I really enjoyed series two on it's original airing and still just as much on DVD. It's not as good as series one, but I think series one is pretty much perfect so it was always going to be difficult to top. But series two still has plenty of great moments, I especially like the culmination of Alan's hatred of London when he beats up the over-sized Beefeater Bear, "You took that on the bus?! Sonja, what if people thought it was me in there? Me in a giant bear costume!".

It is sillier and a lot more 'sitcomy' I guess, but I enjoyed the wackiness.

El Unicornio, mang

There's some nice little bits that you might not notice first time round too, like when he tells the boy he likes his "snazzy jeans" then looks around uncomfortably when he realises he might appear a bit dodgy.

I always found the ending really sad too, watching him trying to make light of his book being pulped and walking out of the factory with a bag of pulp.

Emma Raducanu

I can always remember people speaking in an Alan Partridge voice during the 2nd series which spoils my vague memory of actually enjoying the programme.

weekender

I always remember it being more catchphrase-orientated as opposed to clever-reference humour which the original KMKY had in abundance.

ARE WE STILL DOING THIS BOLLOCKS IN CAPS LOCK?  ONLY I CAN'T BE ARSED THINKING OF SOMETHING.

lipsink

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 11, 2008, 08:14:07 PM
There's some nice little bits that you might not notice first time round too, like when he tells the boy he likes his "snazzy jeans" then looks around uncomfortably when he realises he might appear a bit dodgy.

I always thought that was him looking around suspiciously because he's about to tell the member of staff that the young boy shouldn't be wearing jeans in the club.

Series 2 just didn't do it for me though.  I just can't stand watching it now and there's far too many big long pauses trying to milk the audience laughter for as long as possible: Alan's reaction to Watersports, the Crash Bang Wallop closing credits, Alan puking, Alan posing for the security camera, the 'Dan!' bit.

Artemis

I think it does stand up well to re-visiting later on, but it still isn't a patch on season one. The reason is pretty simple: in season one, Coogan was Partidge. In season two, he was acting Partidge. When he got it right, it was great. But it wasn't believable, and that was the rub for me. Many things felt laboured and milked, as if he was aware of what worked. It was too self-aware and that killed it, because the absence of that is what makes me love S1 so much. I've probably killed it through over-view, but S1 rates as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, I really do rate it that highly. It flows like poetry, but although season two does have delightful moments, as a whole, it's a tragic disappointment. Are they still doing a movie? Maybe that's what the tour's for.. a clever way to test movie material.

weirdbeard

SHIT.  Watched it recently on Dave for the first time since original broadcast and it was just as bad, probably worse.

For the record (please print out this post and stick in a filing cabinet), it never reaches the dizzying heights of Series 1, but it's still chock full of great moments. I like it a lot.

MYOPINIONS4U

simondykes

I remember enjoying it a lot - watching it with my old flatmate and both of us creasing up at it.Most of the best bits have been mentioned above,but the "No Alan you caaant" bit and "Dan!" were definitely highlights for me.My flatmate liked the line about 'Big bastards in boiler suits" in the Bondathon episode....and wasn't it in series 2 where Alan goes around to Michaels house and there's the completely unexplained (but hilarious) bit where the strange guy comes out of the door and Michael offers him a sausage in a cup of beans?Something like that...I haven't seen it for a while.

vdbn

The builder from series 2 (the one Alan has a long pointless conversation about cancer with while the tax inspectors are in his caravan) was in Coronation Street tonight, also playing a builder.

shiftwork2

Some great moments and some great scenes, with a lot of duff filler, and not as funny as IAP1.  So I just agree with everyone else.

Alan's much funnier when sexually frustrated.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: simondykes on April 11, 2008, 11:04:02 PM
bit where the strange guy comes out of the door and Michael offers him a sausage in a cup of beans?Something like that...I haven't seen it for a while.

"Don't you have a spoon?"
"Aye, there's one in the bathroom but I've nae cause to use it"

"Ah'm watchin' a programme aboot Tsunami's"

I like the bits with Tex too
"Sorry, I taped over it with America's Strongest Man"
"I wanted to watch Roger Moore necking with Fiona Fullerton, now I have to watch a giant Michael Bolton lookalike throw washing machines over bales of hay!"

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 11, 2008, 04:47:05 PM
This has no doubt been noted elsewhere, but the Daily Mirror are claiming they will give away every episode from both series of IAP over the next fortnight. Starts tomorrow or Monday I think.

I'm guessing that's not in the paper but, 'collect from a shop that doesn't have branch anywhere near you, if they've not run out already'?

Ginyard

Quote from: trotsky assortment on April 11, 2008, 06:59:23 PM

Doubt it. But its a great scene, although pipped to the post by his drumming the theme tune to Juliet Bravo in the cememtry. The way he looks around to check wether anybody's watching is just brilliant.

I still have no idea which is the first or second series as I've never seen them in order and just caught them on cable. For me the standard seems maintained throughout.