Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which celebrity death would most upset you?

Started by biggytitbo, November 13, 2009, 06:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

This is the opposite of Margaret Thatcher, people you;d be really upset about when they shuffle off.

For me, it would be Paul McCartney.

Out of anyone alive I think he's had the biggest influence on popular culture and music, and touched the most people. The man's genuinely deserving of the word legend and I'll be absolutely gutted when he dies. I even got upset a year or so back when there were all those reports of his heart problems.

Peter Falk would be another, I love him and it's sad to see his recent problems.

Attenborough, both of them will very really upsetting.

ThickAndCreamy

I'd agree with the obvious Attenborough as he is by far the most prominent naturalist in the UK. To see someone like him go would be truly upsetting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

hpmons

The Queen, because then we'd never hear the end of it.

Not a celebrity, but Tony Benn. He's 84 now, has a heart problem and is starting to look a little bit frail. Every time I see him on television, I feel relieved that he's still ok.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Pervert Doppelganger on November 13, 2009, 07:03:20 PM
Not a celebrity, but Tony Benn. He's 84 now, has a heart problem and is starting to look a little bit frail. Every time I see him on television, I feel relieved that he's still ok.

Ohh yeah I forgot about him. He's not really my cup of tea politically, but a truly great character who spans eras. I hope he will continue for many more years

Michael Foot, another lovely man, is still alive isn't he? He must be about 150 now.

Edit - wow Michael foot is 96! I saw him on TV recently and he didn't seem any different to how he was in the 80s. I hope he reaches 100.

CaledonianGonzo

Macca would definitely upset me (aside from the fact that, lolzers, he's already dead).  In fact, I doubt I'd even be able to hold it together when I eventually hear about Ringo.  I cried my eyes out when George Harrison went.

Otherwise:

or maybe

or any of

other than, you know...

Lfbarfe

Stan Tracey and Barry Cryer. I want them both to live forever.

Ginyard

Serge

David Bowie, obviously. Michael Rother, definitely.
Probably Tom Baker too.

The only time I came close to crying over a celebrity dying was Spike Milligan. I was walking home from work and saw the headline on a newsstand, and I welled up just a little bit. I had to go home and ring my mum and dad, because he was a hero in our house.

Backstage With Slowdive

I've come to accept that Mark E.Smith will never die, since it would have happened already.

biggytitbo

Arg Tom Baker! That will be fucking awful. And he's in his mid 70s isnt he?

Although Tom, he's surely the kind of man that will live into his late 90s? I wouldn't put it past him to make 100.

Has any celeb ever made 100? Gorge Burns is the only one I can think of, he just scraped 100 befoee he snuffed it.

Ginyard

Slaaaaabs

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ginyard on November 13, 2009, 08:02:05 PM
Harrison Ford. That would be galling.

I'd give Harry another 10 years at least, hell I think he even has another Indy film in him (as long as its better than Crystal Skull that is)

Emma Raducanu

If I had been of grieving age back in 1995, I'd have been rather upset at the news Bob Ross had died. He was gentler than a falling leaf in Autumn. He died at the premature age of 53 and nobody appreciated and loved life more than he. He liked trees to have friends and rocks to go out on dates with eatchother.

I don't want De Niro to die before putting in another 'Taxi Driver' performance

Bruce Forsyth

Gradual Decline

John Peel is the only celebrity death that affected me. Brucie going would be awful, hurry up and get better please Sir.*

*Does he read CaB?

Desi Rascal

One For the Oliver Postgate Generation,Derek Griffiths will be like loosing part of my Childhood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAPjRWGhLeM

QuoteJohn Peel
Ditto and Eric Morcome too

Cerys

Terry Gilliam, I think.  I hate the idea that one day there will be no more new Gilliam films.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If Brucie carks it I for one would not give a shit.

Mildly Diverting

Goran Ivanisevic and Mark Oliver Everett (it's only a question of time).

This is a heroes thread really isn't it?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Gradual Decline on November 13, 2009, 08:09:00 PM
John Peel is the only celebrity death that affected me. Brucie going would be awful, hurry up and get better please Sir.*

I shed several tears when he died, an amazing man in so many areas. His influence in music was virtually unparalleled, he hated Noel Edmonds, he was very funny, and he was stood right next to Lee Harvey Oswald when he was been interrogated by the press after the assassination of Kennedy. Quite a life.

Jemble Fred

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1507.0

This really old thread was of a similar nature, but it saddens me to note that three of my nominations have since gone. :( <- Me being saddened.

Still, my first ever nomination stands: "Ringo Starr is dead." Okay, so few of us were going to rush out for his next album, but what a sad day it will be.

rudi

Quote from: Lfbarfe on November 13, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
Stan Tracey and Barry Cryer. I want them both to live forever.

Good call - I love Barry. Every time I hear him on the radio I'm a little overwhelmed by just how much good he's indirectly (well, sometimes directly) responsible for in my life.

Can we not swap, say, Gordon Ramsey or Simon Cowell for him when his number comes up?

madhair60

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 13, 2009, 08:07:50 PMIf I had been of grieving age back in 1995, I'd have been rather upset at the news Bob Ross had died.

I was, and I was.

The then-g/f and I got cable round about 1993 I think, and "The Joy of Painting" used to be an essential companion to some people in the house's first roll-up of the day.  We didn't watch them all religiously, thus it was by pure chance that we happened to catch the very episode where The Learning Channel announced, via the medium of a sombre post-credits caption & voiceover, that he'd just died.  Had we not seen that, we probably wouldn't have known until years afterwards.

We were both extremely upset, and found it very difficult to ever watch again after that.  Too sad.  Bloody hippies.

John Peel was the worst though.  I've never felt that about any celeb before or since.  Several already mentioned here would upset me greatly if they went, but hopefully none more than Peel did.

Saucer51

This isn't a celeb per se but she is well-known.

The Queen. Her death would signal that great radish Charles as the new monarch.

True celebs, it's hard to say and probably quicker to answer who I wouldn't mourn over.
When your favourite film star dies, on the plus side their films get shown back to back on tv.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fuck the fucking Queen I hope all her fucking family drop dead this fucking instant.

koeman

Not sure if he counts as a celebrity, but it's David Nobbs for me. And he's 74. Stop getting older, David, for Christ's sake.