Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daria

Started by Captain Crunch, January 26, 2010, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

It looks like Daria may well be getting a DVD release, at last:

I ended up getting all the episodes off the internet a couple of years ago but I'm really keen to see how they put the discs together.  I've always thought it was a very underrated show, consistently funny, subtle character development, stands up to repeat viewing and didn't outstay its welcome.

Any other fans here?

Neil

Yes, I loved this, way more so than King Of The Hill, which was something I watched religiously, but probably never actually laughed at, or particularly liked.  Sarky Daria was much better.  Aaah, I'd forgot the theme music, thanks for the trailer.  La la la la la.

Guy

Daria's such a surprise, most people's immediate reaction (mine too, initially) was/is 'oh, sassy teenage girl, US high-school malarky' and dismissed it as a certain kind of TV.

But as you say, on inspection it is actually funny (and in an engaging way), incredibly well-written and has some ace characters. It rarely feels smug or leaves you feeling as thought its heart is in the wrong place.

I haven't looked into it, but has a DVD release taken so long because of the amount of music used in it?

Little Hoover

Yeah Daria was great, and I remember wondering at the time "Why the hell is this on MTV?" As you think of it as a channel that encourages people to be like Quinn and the fashion club. It was funny, and really quite comforting to watch as a teen. And underneath all the sarcasm and cynicism it had a lot of warmth it never fell into a trap of being too contemptuous, even of its more unlikeable characters. Although it could be a bit preachy, it never really got sentimental, it trod on dangerous territory, with the whole Tom thing towards the end of its run, but it handled it all pretty well.

Vitalstatistix

Yeah, aces show. I remember Daria's parents (I forget the names - it's been a long time) being particularly well-written and funny.

Better than KotH though? I don't know, there's a similarity there in terms of dry humour and rewarding, subtle characterisation, but King has a much larger array of wonderful characters, fleshed out to a larger extent, I'd say.

Is this the one with a high school teacher who's constantly on the edge of a nervous breakdown? Good voice.

vrailaine

Yep, gem of a show. Don't see why everyone's comparing it to King of the Hill(by the way, KitH is miles better, but anyways), can't we just appreciate its greatness?

Used to be on before mass in the mornings over here so its got a considerable nostalgia kick for me too, this spurred me into rewatching it during the summer(along with a strict download limit and the availability of 16mb episodes) and was surprised how easily I could sit down and watch maybe 6 episodes in a row without blinking.

Neil

Quote from: vrailaine on January 26, 2010, 02:45:54 PM
Yep, gem of a show. Don't see why everyone's comparing it to King of the Hill(by the way, KitH is miles better, but anyways), can't we just appreciate its greatness?

...he says, right after comparing the two, hehe.  It was the Mike Judge connection that made me bring him up, I remember desperately waiting to see what would come after the amazing Beavis and Butthead.  EDIT:  Yes, I know he wasn't directly involved with Daria.  I was more just interested in the thought of a spin-off, and then actually found the spin-off a lot better than the next main thing.  Daria was the only point of Channel 5.

jaydee81

Does anyone remember the song The Chicks did in tribute. Daaaaa-riiii-aaaa, Daaaa-riiii-aaaaa, here name was!

Guy

Curiously, Daria didn't really have anything directly to do with Mike Judge. Daria was brought in as a female character in Beavis & Butt-Head on MTV's request. And I know Judge had no hand in the Daria show itself.

vrailaine

Quote from: Guy on January 26, 2010, 03:03:33 PM
Curiously, Daria didn't really have anything directly to do with Mike Judge. Daria was brought in as a female character in Beavis & Butt-Head on MTV's request. And I know Judge had no hand in the Daria show itself.
Yeah

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on January 26, 2010, 02:30:30 PMIs this the one with a high school teacher who's constantly on the edge of a nervous breakdown? Good voice.
The excellent Mr De Martino!

I also really like Tiffany, the slow talking one from the Fashion Club and Daria's Dad - "why don't they just put Marmaduke to sleep?"

Quote from: Guy on January 26, 2010, 02:06:54 PMI haven't looked into it, but has a DVD release taken so long because of the amount of music used in it?
That's the reason I've always heard and I'd be interested to see how they got around it.  Just off the top of my head they used Oasis, Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, Sonic Youth and er, Annie Lennox so keeping all the original music in will set them back more than a couple of quid I'm sure.  Maybe they got Music For Pleasure involved?

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: jaydee81 on January 26, 2010, 03:03:00 PM
Does anyone remember the song The Chicks did in tribute. Daaaaa-riiii-aaaa, Daaaa-riiii-aaaaa, here name was!

Heh, I loved that song. Still have it on a melody maker CD somewhere...

I remember a period where I was drinking very heavily and falling asleep/passing out watching Daria every night. I'd just broken up with a girl who looked like Daria. I think enough time has passed now.

Ambient Sheep

I never saw enough of this.  I'd catch it on MTV occasionally when it first aired, but only saw about five or six episodes in total.  I liked it though.

Daria herself reminds me of my best female friend (who now lives in Italy), but when I put this to her once she said that although a lot of people say this to her, probably because of the physical resemblance, she thinks she's actually rather more like Daria's best friend, Jane.

You needed to know that, didn't you?

Fry

I vaguely remember watching this when I was mad young, watching it online is giving me all sorts of nostalgia. It feels so familiar.

SavageHedgehog

I have fond memories of this, but I'm not sure I watched all that many episodes. I think most of my nostalgia is rooted in my mum having a Daria Daily Planner for our computer when I was about 11.

Fry

Wow, I really didn't like it!

I mean, I can vaguely remember not liking it, so I've been rewatching so I can reassess... I just find Daria herself so irritating. She reminds me too much of a few girls (and boys) I've known, and know, who pride themselves on being  'cool' like her. The smug condescending attitude, the artificial aloofness; perhaps I am missing something, I don't know but.... yeah, I found it horrible.

Oh yeah, and I didn't laugh.

Quote from: Fry on January 27, 2010, 12:07:55 PM
who pride themselves on being  'cool' like her.

Wasn't the point that she wasn't cool?

j_u_d_a_s

Excellent news! Can't believe it's taken this long for a proper release though seeing as there's been demand for ages. Quite a few episodes did end up on video over here with all the music tracks edited out which didn't really affect the show at all as they just felt like pandering to a self conscious MTV crowd.

madhair60

I would like to see this.  Never got around to it.

As for MTV animation, Clone High, anyone?

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2010, 02:47:02 PM
I would like to see this.  Never got around to it.

As for MTV animation, Clone High, anyone?

I keep meaning to purchase a DVD box containing DVDR's with free episodes of Downtown at some point. It was also the first series to feature a metalhead named Goat who has also appeared in the excellent Megas-XLR and Metalocalypse too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGABbUJ7RAY

DuncanC

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2010, 02:47:02 PM
Clone High, anyone?
Yes - bit of a lost classic of the 00s, that.

I can remember quite liking Daria too, so I might get this, though to be fair I can't remember anything that actually happened in it. Wait... I think there was one where she got her navel pierced but she took it out because it was itchy and then it healed over. So, there's rewatching that to look forward to.

madhair60

I'm a big fan of Clone High.  DVD's scarce and expensive, due to only having been released in Canada.  I'd love to get hold of that, sometime.  I think I made a thread about it once and it sunk without a trace; doesn't seem worth another go.

Little Hoover

Quote from: DuncanC on January 27, 2010, 03:07:35 PM
Yes - bit of a lost classic of the 00s, that.

I can remember quite liking Daria too, so I might get this, though to be fair I can't remember anything that actually happened in it. Wait... I think there was one where she got her navel pierced but she took it out because it was itchy and then it healed over. So, there's rewatching that to look forward to.
They sort of introduced a couple of story arcs into the last 2 series of Daria, and in a couple of feature length episodes. I'd hardly say nothing happened in them though, they all had proper stories, it's not as if it was like Dr. Katz where 99% of episodes were about Ben deciding he might try and do something but then deciding against it. (not a criticism of Katz by the way, although I do wish they tried a few more experiments)

DuncanC

Quote from: Little Hoover on January 27, 2010, 04:13:29 PM
They sort of introduced a couple of story arcs into the last 2 series of Daria, and in a couple of feature length episodes. I'd hardly say nothing happened in them though, they all had proper stories, it's not as if it was like Dr. Katz where 99% of episodes were about Ben deciding he might try and do something but then deciding against it. (not a criticism of Katz by the way, although I do wish they tried a few more experiments)
That's true, what I said up there came across as more of a criticism of the show than I intended, it probably says more about the state of my own memory.

glitch

I'm still in love with Jane Lane.

Downloaded all the Daria series/movie things years back and really enjoyed going through them. Might pick this up on DVD if they've done a decent release.

unky herb

Fan here...

From first time I saw the scene in the intro where the basketball bounces past her, then she ever so slightly moves her arm in a half-hearted way to look like she's at least trying...  I yummed that shit up.

I too would enjoy a DVD release, all the talk about music copyright clearance reminded me of discovering new songs (wholesome American indie rock that wasn't getting played over here in the UK) by looking up scenes on the Daria song list project. Although one song that I really remember - "Numb" by Fat was by an English band doing a Bush and being popular over there while not over here. Hmmm.

None of my friends like it, I am not sure if it's because they think it's an animated Saved By The Bell with a sarcastic character, or because it's just too cool for school.

I thought the way they handled the whole Tom/Jane/Daria  thing was very good, it raised it above the usual "Daria fails at mixing socially, and it turns out it's both partly the society and partly Daria being obstinant" plots.

Plus it didn't hurt that Daria was for a long time a Jessica Rabbit that I'd actually want to go out with.

I have also just realised that I downloaded the complete set of episodes on dial-up back in the day. Even though they were fairly crappy RealVideo captures that was quite a feat. Kids today don't realise how much of a mission it could be to pirate TV shows 10 years ago. Get off my lawn!

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: unky herb on January 27, 2010, 05:58:34 PM
I have also just realised that I downloaded the complete set of episodes on dial-up back in the day. Even though they were fairly crappy RealVideo captures that was quite a feat. Kids today don't realise how much of a mission it could be to pirate TV shows 10 years ago. Get off my lawn!

Cuh, in my day I had to TAPE those episodes. OFF CHANNEL 5!

Little Hoover

May 11th

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria-DVDs-Announced/13307
Since last summer we've known that MTV and Paramount Home Entertainment is preparing a 2010 DVD release for the animated series Daria, the 1997 spin-off of Beavis and Butt-head. This morning Paramount has officially announced the title, giving us a release date of:

May 11, 2010

Daria - The Complete Animated Series on DVD will, according to the studio, contain "ALL FIVE SEASONS PLUS BOTH MOVIES!" The running time is 1606 minutes (almost 27 hours!), and video is listed as full screen. Audio specs haven't been provided yet, nor do we have pricing or package art so far. But for now here's a list of the bonus material that will be found on the set, and please stay tuned for updates!

* Pilot - Sealed With a Kick
    * Music Video: Mystik Spiral Music Video "Freakin' Friends"
    * Daria Day Intros
    * Top Ten Video Countdown Hosted by Daria & Jane
    * Cast & Crew Interviews
    * Never Before-Seen Mystik Sprial spin-off script

vrailaine

Guy

I think they're talking about the two features, Is It Fall Yet? and Is It College Yet?.

That sounds like one crazy boxset.