Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:09:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bellamy's People (Down The Line on Telly) [split topic]

Started by Fishbulb, January 10, 2010, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbulb

Looks like "Bellamy's People" will premiere Thursday, January 21st on BBC2:

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/bellamys_people/

I'm in the US, so I can't view any of the clips, but hopefully it will be torrented once it airs. Really looking forward to it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteBellamy abandons the comfort of hisstudio and jumps in his Triumph Stag "personality vehicle" to travel the length and breadth of the land meeting the people of Britain and trying to find out what makes them tick. His aim is to elicit their views on topics ranging from crime and religion to class and culture. Much like his radio phone-in show, each week will focus on a particular topic of discussion.

The show promises to deliver quintessentially British characters, including a 23-stone man who rarely leaves his bed; a pair of aristocratic sisters with an unhealthy love of totalitarian regimes; a barely reformed celebrity criminal; Christians, Muslims; and a host of other characters that make up modern Britain.

Our Review: This new comedy, due to air in early 2010, is designed to be a spoof of shows like How We Built Britain, Coast and Andrew Marr's Britain From Above.

Oooh, I'm excited about this all over again. If they get the tone and delivery right this could be a)an original premise for a comedy show and b)hilarious.

purlieu

Given the cast and that description, it's making it sound a bit like a very, very structured version of The Fast Show in a way.  I'm looking forward to this.

Stuarty-Boi

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 11, 2009, 01:42:33 PM
That may have invited comparisons with Vivienne Vyle though – or indeed Alan Partridge. At least the format they're spoofing is pretty fresh ground.

The 'roving reporter out on the street' thing was also done quite excellently with 'People like us'. I always prefered the radio version of that.

Uncle TechTip

Higson and Whitehouse were on The One Show earlier, iplayer fans. There was a clip but not much else.

Johnny Townmouse

A great interview with Thomas and Whitehouse this morning on the unwatchable Breakfast Show.

Just before I turned off the TV to leave the house there was this great, great moment where Bill Turnbull used the word "jailbirds", and Thomas and Whitehouse openly laughed at him.

It has actually made me extremely happy (though that could also be down to watching the Curb episode over porridge where Larry's mother dies).

boxofslice

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 18, 2010, 09:52:02 AM
A great interview with Thomas and Whitehouse this morning on the unwatchable Breakfast Show.

Saw that but what was the mistake Rhys Thomas made in the interview that seemed to cause some concern between him and Whitehouse?

klaatu!

Quote from: boxofslice on January 18, 2010, 09:58:43 AM
Saw that but what was the mistake Rhys Thomas made in the interview that seemed to cause some concern between him and Whitehouse?
I'm not sure what that was either. Here's the clip.

BBC News - Paul Whitehouse on new comedy show 'Bellamy's People'

Jemble Fred

Frobush

Whitehouse was on Loose Ends on BBC Radio 4 last Saturday...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ps5f2/Loose_Ends_16_01_2010/

... he's interviewed last - but manages to butt in and almost take over Clive Anderson at some points, so listen from the start.

Stuarty-Boi

By 'the coombes' is he refering to the great Pat and her(unknown to me) sister? The similarity to 'people like us' is astounding,why has no one else picked up on this?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Stuarty-Boi on January 19, 2010, 08:29:58 AMThe similarity to 'people like us' is astounding,why has no one else picked up on this?

A) They have.
B) There's a huge weight of distinction between the two shows. One follows a single person per episode with an unseen interviewer, the other covers several disparate characters as part of a celebrity travel show spoof.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: klaatu! on January 18, 2010, 07:26:43 PM

Every single facial expression pulled by Simon Day in that clip is comedy gold. How does he do it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In further Simon Day news, I saw him do a very amusing comic turn as a toff on Hustle, a program I never usually watch but I'm quite glad I did.

Higson and Whitehouse were on The One Show last week, Whitehouse suggested Chiles' own British travel programme should be called 'Chiles Play'.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Stuarty-Boi on January 19, 2010, 08:29:58 AM
By 'the coombes' is he refering to the great Pat and her(unknown to me) sister?....

From here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qbwjf
He also gets to meet the aristocratic Combe sisters who have divided their stately home along political lines...

I'd love to know what this is about, but given that Thomas was cut-off before he could say anything, I do wonder if this is related to the way in which it is perhaps based on two who are not necessarily the same as they are portrayed. Otherwise what would Thomas have to say about it that is so interesting? They must still be alive - perhaps all will become clear when the show airs. Or perhaps it is some industry tittle-tattle that only Whitehouse and co know about?

Bob The Skutter

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 19, 2010, 02:39:46 PM
From here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qbwjf
He also gets to meet the aristocratic Combe sisters who have divided their stately home along political lines...

I'd love to know what this is about, but given that Thomas was cut-off before he could say anything, I do wonder if this is related to the way in which it is perhaps based on two who are not necessarily the same as they are portrayed. Otherwise what would Thomas have to say about it that is so interesting? They must still be alive - perhaps all will become clear when the show airs. Or perhaps it is some industry tittle-tattle that only Whitehouse and co know about?

I suppose it could be referencing the Barclay brothers, who are notoriously litigious and live in a castle in the Channel islands. Probably not though.

Backstage With Slowdive

Stuarty-Boi

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 19, 2010, 08:32:56 AM
B) There's a huge weight of distinction between the two shows. One follows a single person per episode with an unseen interviewer, the other covers several disparate characters as part of a celebrity travel show spoof.

well,when you put it like that!!lol.Sorry,its just i loved PLU,wish there could have been more of it.Is it still ok to like Chris Langham these days?

Neil

Quote from: klaatu! on January 18, 2010, 07:26:43 PM

Fascinating appearance, I particularly love the moment when they go to the next clip, and Rhys Thomas puts his arm on Paul Whitehouses' arm and leans in - presumably to ask 'are we going to get sued into a black hole in space now?'  Interesting also that they were so blase about letting it be known that the fan character was based on a real person. 

I'm not a fan of Rhys Thomas, but they've got his hair looking admirably cunty, there.  I love the old make-up too, there's far too little pissing about with make-up and special fx in comedy these days.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on January 19, 2010, 08:30:22 PM
It's the Mitford Sisters, isn't it?

Just looked them up. Crazy fun family
QuoteThe Hon. Pamela Mitford (November 25, 1907 — April 12, 1994). Married and divorced the millionaire scientist Derek Jackson. John Betjeman, who for a time was in love with her, referred to her as the "Rural Mitford". After her divorce from Jackson, she spent the remainder of her life as the companion of Giuditta Tommasi (died 1993), an Italian horsewoman.

QuoteThe Hon. Unity Valkyrie Mitford (August 8, 1914 — May 28, 1948). Famous for her adulation of and friendship with Adolf Hitler. Shot herself in the head days after the United Kingdom declared war on Germany[2], but failed to kill herself and eventually died of pneumonococcal meningitis at West Highland Cottage Hospital, Oban, after being transferred there from Inch Kenneth.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Neil on January 20, 2010, 02:24:09 AM
Fascinating appearance, I particularly love the moment when they go to the next clip, and Rhys Thomas puts his arm on Paul Whitehouses' arm and leans in - presumably to ask 'are we going to get sued into a black hole in space now?'  Interesting also that they were so blase about letting it be known that the fan character was based on a real person. 

It was a genuinely awkward moment - Whitehouse seemed positively shitted up, and Thomas had a great look of "what the fuck have I done?". Even the presenters tried to diffuse the situation by saying "he's just joking", like you do when a pissed-up friend insults your girlfriend.

Jemble Fred

But if it's all about the Mitfords, surely they'd have nothing to worry about, legally? The Coombs sisters must surely be based on living people known to the team.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Heh, the sheer amount of books in that old guy's house made me smile.

Those two BBC presenters really are the most awkward bland pair of people.

Jemble Fred

Charlie Higson. Blimey, was it that good a performance? I enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing more of the character, but it's clearly Higson under the latex.

For some reason I thought that Whitehouse's old man character from Help (name's slipped my memory) was going to pop up in this, but maybe his story was played out in Help anyway.

jaydee81

It looked like that guy who used to be in The Higsons

Johnny Townmouse

ThickAndCreamy

Well, I was thoroughly impressed with that. The characters are impeccably well realised, realistic and hilarious. They all seem so thoroughly grounded in reality that I could imagine seeing them all on a daily basis. It is just wonderful really, even though it doesn't break boundaries at all it doesn't matter. It's just a simple, humorous portrayal of Brits without major stereotyping or laziness and made me just feel as if all the years of comedy the team behind this has had has gone to great use. They have character comedy down to a near art form now.

It's great, and it not having a laugh track makes it even better. I'm really looking forward to the other episodes now, fantastic stuff. Honestly, I'm delighted something this humorous and well made is on, Whitehouse et all really still have the talent to make comedy.

rudi

Good, wasn't it? Watching "The Making Of" on the red button now...