Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Bowie Seriously Ill?

Started by Ambient Sheep, February 28, 2010, 01:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

There's a rumour doing the rounds that David Bowie is seriously ill with an unconfirmed illness.  Could be bollocks, might not be though.

From http://twitter.com/cameramanjimitv who's apparently a cameraman with "27 years on the road for ITN, Ch4 News & GMTV":

QuoteVery sad news indeed. I've just heard from an insider that David Bowie is seriously ill. Always been a massive fan.
about 4 hours ago   via web

then:

QuoteCan't say what Bowie's illness is suposed to be at this time. I'm really hoping there's been a mistake- at this stage illness NOT confirmed.
about 4 hours ago   via web

non capisco

Blimey, hope it is bollocks. Having had a quick google people on various forums have started speculating that this is true because he hasn't made any public appearances in a year, which is rubbish for a start because I've seen photos of him with Duncan Jones at the premiere of 'Moon' hardly looking like he's at death's door. Fingers crossed anyway.

chocky909

The premiere of Moon was in January 2009 which was over a year ago.

Really hope this turns out to be bollocks, obviously.

Serge

Updated, it seems:

QuoteSource says David Bowie fine. Scare turned out to be nothing. Post earlier heart problem source 'over reacted'. Very pleased to hear this!

I'm still pretty much of the mind that Bowie has retired, which is why you don't get many public appearances from him these days. I was recently stunned to read an interview with Gene Hackman where he announced that he'd retired about five years ago, but just didn't tell anyone. Maybe Bowie has done the same, appearances in 'The Prestige' and (cough) 'Extras' aside?

buttgammon

I also assume he has retired now, but maybe he's a little bit unsure of doing it officially in case he fancies coming back and doing a new album or a tour or something in the future hence why there hasn't been any official confirmation of it.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: buttgammon on February 28, 2010, 11:53:16 AM
I also assume he has retired now, but maybe he's a little bit unsure of doing it officially in case he fancies coming back and doing a new album or a tour or something in the future hence why there hasn't been any official confirmation of it.

Didn't he tell Peter Gabriel that he wasn't doing anything musically anymore, which is why he couldn't cover one of Gabriel's tracks for his new project?

Can't find the bloody source now.

Key

Quote from: wherearethespoons on February 28, 2010, 12:16:54 PM
Didn't he tell Peter Gabriel that he wasn't doing anything musically anymore, which is why he couldn't cover one of Gabriel's tracks for his new project?

Can't find the bloody source now.

On the Radcliffe and Maconie show on Monday Peter Gabriel said that Eno had told him that Bowie wasn't doing any music type stuff at the moment. I don't know if thats 'for the moment' or 'for the forseeable future' though.

buttgammon

Oh, I didn't hear that. Sounds as though it could be for the forseeable future, especially as he hasn't done a proper album since Reality.

PaulTMA

Quote from: buttgammon on February 28, 2010, 12:34:48 PM
Oh, I didn't hear that. Sounds as though it could be for the forseeable future, especially as he hasn't done a proper album since Reality.

Gabriel said in another interview that he got the suspicion Bowie wasn't interested in making music at the moment.  I actually had a dream last night how he tried to get Placebo to record, 'Robin Hood, Riding Through The Glen' for Scratch My Back.

Pre-heart scare, I do remember Bowie responding to Jonathan Ross' observation on how prolific a period he was having at the time ('Reality'), by saying something like "and I'm not going to stop now".  Unsurprisingly the heart problems caused him to slow down, but did anyone expect him to not have released an album by 2010?  Maybe we just wants to make Morrissey's comeback look like Dodgy's in comparison.

Placebo?  Robin Hood theme?  That's bloody fantastic!

TrevorDistance

when i saw his new live album released a few weeks ago, i had assumed that he had retired and the record company was just knocking it out to satisy his contract.

Glad this thread didn't last long before debunked. Still though, its a shame Bowie stopped making music. It wouldn't have been that hard for him just to knock out another few studio albums and just not tour. Didn't seem to be a problem for Heathen.

Also... christ, 7 years since Reality came out!? That's fucking disturbing.

jutl

Could we turn this into a general purpose baseless musical health scares thread? I've had a funny feeling this morning that Dr Alban has fallen awkwardly and is now helpless in a chemical toilet. I'm seeing sycamores nearby. Can anyone confirm?

Duckula

I had one chance to see Bowie back in 2004 at T in the Park and then he had his heart problem and had to cancel. I was gutted to say the least.

chand

Quote from: jutl on March 01, 2010, 09:58:27 AM
Could we turn this into a general purpose baseless musical health scares thread?

Sadly, there's currently one that appears to have some basis; Guru out of Gang Starr has had a heart attack and is currently in a coma...http://www.prefixmag.com/news/guru-in-coma-after-heart-attack/38008/

Treguard of Dunshelm

Aw man that's sad, I hope he pulls through. Guru's a legend.

jutl

Rumour is that Tommy Banner of The Wurzels has a severely infected pasty.

tedmaul99

when i saw this thread title my heart sank, but now im glad it aint true.

you never know bowie might return with some sort of dubstep album, a la Little Wonder junglist massive

Thomas

Anyone else been hearing these rumours again lately?

hedgehog90

If anyone can beat a severe case of death it's Bowie. Hope he gets better.

Nicky

Nowhere Man

Still dead is he? This is Bowie we're talking about, he just needs to change into another incarnation.

Head Gardener

hmmm, Jezebel website stirs  the Lori Maddox story around a bit more

alan nagsworth

Ugh. I know this is probably stupid shit but all of this has hit me again tonight. A few beers and coming home and listening to Moonage Daydream and The Man Who Sold The World and all of a sudden I'm there again, realising he's dead, he's gone. Fucks sake, I never realised that someone I've never met leaving me could hit me like this. Dave, I miss you so much, you were so beautiful... It's still something I just find so hard to deal with. This hurts me more than when my aunt died suddenly two years back. This fucking sucks man. I don't think this will ever not suck. David Bowie is dead and it sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

newbridge

up_the_hampipe

Imagine if he was still alive today. The landscape of music would be completely different.

Entropy Balsmalch

I'd forgotten about Bowie.

He's one of those ones who'll slip off and no one will really notice.

I happen to think he was alright though with some nice tunes.

alan nagsworth

Imagine if he was alive to put a verse in on The Life of Pablo.... probably woulda been a better album lol amitire lads