Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post questions for a Charlie Higson interview

Started by Neil, March 01, 2010, 03:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Your input and insight would be most welcome, here, as it was with the Armando Iannucci interview.  Charlie Higson has agreed to do a phone interview with me, with a view to it being edited and played on CaB Radio next Sunday evening, then made available as a download.  I'm very, very interested in keeping it centered around Bellamy's People.  I'm aware not everyone agrees, but I'm deeply in love with this show and the red button content, and want to try and find out the things we all want to know about the improv process, the editing, the transfer etc. 

The goal is to do it with internet comedy fans in mind, in terms of the themes covered, and questions asked.  I have PLENTY of questions in mind, but fire away, I know you can think of things I can't, and we'll get together a nice selection to choose from.

EDIT:  Final edit - first part:

Rapidshare link
Megaupload link

TotalNightmare

yes i have questions

1) How much importance is made to the continuity in the show? For example, characters that have been established in DtL translating to BP with their 'history' intact.

2) Have they considered, for BP, having an international episode? A way of exploring how the rest of the world views Britain.

3) Will DtL still continue?

4) Will we ever see Harry Enfield, Mark Gatiss or Matt Lucas turn up in future BP? Or are those people too high profile outside of the main Fast Show cast?

5) Is it harder work to create (or recreate) these characters for TV than it was to come up with them for the radio show?

6) How much is it a collaborative process to create these characters, or do the actors largely form them?

7) Does Rhys wish he could play a character other than Gary?

8) How did the idea for DtL come about?

9) What is point?

10) Can i have a job?

Neil

Quote from: TotalNightmare on March 01, 2010, 03:41:43 AM7) Does Rhys wish he could play a character other than Gary?

Off to a great start, thanks TN.  I hadn't considered the possibility of Rhys Thomas using prosthetics and split/green-screen.  I definitely want to cover the make-up briefly, so that will probably slot in nicely.

I'm making notes now, and am fascinated by what must go on in the edit, and the whole schedule and approach needs sketched out.  Is the red button content shot at the same time?  Are there ever any reshoots during the edit?  The voiceover is a clever way of steering the final episodes, but they don't seem to need it much. 

Rowlands

Not entirely BP centered, but I was curious to know how famous comedians and writers perceived CaB. I like to think that all of them nervously refresh threads when their new show airs. But they probably don't care.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Rowlands on March 01, 2010, 08:38:27 AM
Not entirely BP centered, but I was curious to know how famous comedians and writers perceived CaB. I like to think that all of them nervously refresh threads when their new show airs. But they probably don't care.
I don't think he knew about it until about 5/6 weeks ago when he was asking on Twitter for names of comedy sites so that he could check out the feedback.

His brother lectured me at the UEA, how does Charlie, another UEA alumni, feel about the University now, does he visit the campus often?

What is Charlie's opinion on anonymous internet posters, is there the potential for a sitcom based on a persistant internet troll?

Would Bellamy's People work better with an older central character given that a lot of the Travelogue's the show satires features veteran broadcasters? I'm thinking an Alan Patridge version could have been magnificent.

Paaaaul

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 01, 2010, 09:22:55 AM
His brother lectured me at the UEA, how does Charlie, another UEA alumni, feel about the University now, does he visit the campus often?

I don't know if you're still around Norwich, but last year they had a big promotional push around the city for the UEA, and there were massive pictures of Higson's head on billboards and buses around the city.

(Linky to pic of one of the smaller posters)

I pointed one of these out to my girlfriend, who is a huge Swiss Toni fan, and she had no idea who it was. (The one I showed her didn't have Swiss Toni written above it - she's not daft)

gatchamandave

The massive success of Dr Who, not only with the science-fiction orientated viewers but with the mainstream of the British viewing public, suggests that there is a willing Saturday night audience for science-fiction/fantasy. So why do you think your attemtped revival of Randall and Hopkirk didn't catch on ?

The Duck Man

Why is it that pretty much half this forum went to UEA?

Quote from: TotalNightmare on March 01, 2010, 03:41:43 AM
4) Will we ever see Harry Enfield, Mark Gatiss or Matt Lucas turn up in future BP? Or are those people too high profile outside of the main Fast Show cast?
With regard to the possible future entrance of Enfield, I'd actually be intrigued to know why he isn't in it in the first place. Could Whitehouse and Enfield work together on television without it being publicised as that double-act's "project", with the rest of the cast sidelined. Could Enfield be part of an ensemble? Possibly too direct for a voluntary interview...

(I am right in thinking Enfield was in Down the Line, right? Wiki has no mention of him, but I thought he was...)

Languid

Enfield was a special guest in some epidodes. I remember Whitehouse saying it was easy for them to get so many guest people in because they could just do it over the phone.

Paaaaul

Neil - this interview with Higson is pretty good and may help/hinder you. It's part of XFM's Marsha Meets... series, home of the catchy mp3 filenames.

http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/MP3/6297A5904B044C17AEBAD7BC0BA2A6F9.mp3

Quote from: The Duck Man on March 01, 2010, 12:56:37 PM
Why is it that pretty much half this forum went to UEA?
In case you think that I did - I didn't.
Except to see gigs.
I've moved back 'home' to Norfolk a couple of years ago after moving round the country for the best part of a decade.

Neil

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 01, 2010, 01:25:15 PMNeil - this interview with Higson is pretty good and may help/hinder you. It's part of XFM's Marsha Meets... series, home of the catchy mp3 filenames.

Thanks Paaaaul, that sounds like a good 'un, very helpful.  The Uni pic is great as well - a love of knowledge seems to come through in some of his BP characters, and I'd like to touch on that and his book writing. 

Panbaams

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 01, 2010, 09:52:50 AM
The massive success of Dr Who, not only with the science-fiction orientated viewers but with the mainstream of the British viewing public, suggests that there is a willing Saturday night audience for science-fiction/fantasy. So why do you think your attemtped revival of Randall and Hopkirk didn't catch on ?

Have a listen to the Marsha Meets ... interview linked to above (it's also on iTunes) – he talks about it in that.

As and when the subject of 'Down The Line' comes up, can you pleeeease ask him about the "Ghosts" episode (Series 2 Episode 6) as that was truly one of the most genuine "WHAT THE FUCK!" moments I've experienced with a comedy show.

I really did go a bit cold and shaky after listening to that when it originally went out at 11:00 at night, what with the sudden end with Gary screaming in horror and the excellent radiophonic work all through the last 15 minutes or so of the episode.

That really was a completely unexpected example of playing with the format, as the last half of that episode is so unlike the rest of the series, and I'd love to hear Charlie talk about that a bit. 

Also, to get him to confirm whether the eerie goings-on WERE supposed to really be happening or whether it was "all in Gary's head".  (The explanation given for it in the following "Blair Departure Special" was that they were experiencing technical difficulties and he was having emotional problems, so became convinced the studio was haunted and was startled by a cleaner coming into the studio. But the fact that we listeners could also hear everything Gary was hearing leaves it a bit unclear as to whether the spooky stuff was real, or just Gary's production staff freaking him out).

I don't know how much of Down The Line you've heard yet, Neil, but it's well worth giving that episode a go. 

Neil

Skipped most of that post as it's an episode I still haven't heard :-)  Going through them again now in order, can't wait to fill in the gaps.  Montgomery is really surprising me, she is that bit more subtle in general on the radio versions.  Peeing in the street and all that was a bit too Tittybangbang for me. 

Finding some really nice bits and pieces as well, trying to get this "The Comedy Album Show" from 2005 currently, but I'm not sure how much I can download as a newb on TKMAXX.  First episode is Hedgehog Sandwich.  Third is A Night At The Met!  Robin Williams' stand-up is never seen as trendy to reference these days, he's a very uncool name to drop, and there's a lot of allegations of joke theft with him that reinforces the snobbery. 

Ideally I'll stream a bunch of stuff on Wednesday afternoon before Louis' show .  Just off to watch Dead At Thirty now. 

Pretty jealous of you working through them for the first time. I'm currently working through two and three for the second time and shaking myself to sleep.

vrailaine

Maybe these are obvious ones, but anyways:
Was there a conscious decision made to favour shoots of scenes where Rhys struggled to hold in laughter at some of the funny parts, or is he just false laughing?
Would they be replacing most the characters for a second series, if there is one?
Does the internet make it easier to promote shows which are difficult to convey the appeal of such as BP, or has it's detraction from general television viewership figures resulted in more difficultly pigeon-holed programmes struggling to find their target audience?

Jemble Fred

Charlie Higson has answered all my burning queries via Twitter. But I'm still really looking forward to hearing this at the weekend. I won't add to the avalanche of questions, it must be tough enough to choose from what you have.

jutl

Ask him if he - unlike Paul Whitehouse - would have covered for Chris Langham when Langham said he was co-writing a script about paedophiles.

JPA

Can you ask him about the contrast between the more naturalistic characters of BP and the broader nature of those in The Fast Show, and if it's refreshing to be able to allow the personal writer's views to inhabit the characters more directly - as an example you get the impression that there is genuine contempt being directed at right-wing commentators by the writers, represented by the way Bellamy challenges the Gaunt-style radio-host and the arguments he employs.

So yeah, something about that - but phrased in a way that isn't as shit as I've just phrased it.

A.) Despite the recent gentle-old-duffer character in Bellamy's People, are the best comedy creations still derisory in nature? Laudable or not, isn't 'positive' comedy a tougher and shallower well to get bellylaughs from?

B.) What is point?

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 01, 2010, 07:27:58 PM
As and when the subject of 'Down The Line' comes up, can you pleeeease ask him about the "Ghosts" episode (Series 2 Episode 6) as that was truly one of the most genuine "WHAT THE FUCK!" moments I've experienced with a comedy show.

Definitely ask about this...

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 01, 2010, 07:27:58 PMAlso, to get him to confirm whether the eerie goings-on WERE supposed to really be happening or whether it was "all in Gary's head".

... though I imagine the temptation for the interviewee (Higson, in this case) would be to proverbially nod-and-wink without giving a clear indication either way.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 01, 2010, 07:27:58 PM

Also, to get him to confirm whether the eerie goings-on WERE supposed to really be happening or whether it was "all in Gary's head".  (The explanation given for it in the following "Blair Departure Special" was that they were experiencing technical difficulties and he was having emotional problems, so became convinced the studio was haunted and was startled by a cleaner coming into the studio. But the fact that we listeners could also hear everything Gary was hearing leaves it a bit unclear as to whether the spooky stuff was real, or just Gary's production staff freaking him out).

Don't do this - it's a great bit of radio that doesn't need over-analysing in this way. It works because of the gap between Gary's reality and that of the listener.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Talulah, really!

1) What initially decided you to try this way of working for Bellamy's People?

2) What is the most useful/surprising thing you have discovered in working this way?

3) I feel each of the team reacts with Rhys Thomas in different ways. Paul Whitehouse's characters seem to be more satirical, your own more didactic as though illustrating arguments (eg the history professor versus Gary Bellamy where the two characters were really challenging each other and the viewer could side with either), Simon Day's more broadly comic. Have you noticed this? Did you choose different people to bring different talents/aspects to the show? What do you think each of the main team bring?

4) What effect does the improvising have on directing? I assume with a script you can decide to have close ups, reaction shots, etc how does improvising change this? Are there moments you wish you had caught? Were there moments that you discovered in the editing?

5) Do ideas that come up in session feed into others and if so how?

6) How has your novel writing effected your work?

7) The new series of Doctor Who has Stephen Moffat as show runner and scripts by Richard Curtis, Simon Nye and Mark Gatiss, would you like to do an episode?

8) The internet, how does it effect what you do? What effect do you think it has on comedy generally? Interested in your opinion on the two extremes you can get, the unctuous uncritical fans who follow people on twitter and on the other hand the extremely negative opinions that can now be expressed in purest vitriol immediately something goes out.

9) What changes for the better/worse in comedy have you seen over your career?

the midnight watch baboon

Does he do the voice for Humphrey Milner on DTL? It sounds really different.

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on March 03, 2010, 09:55:34 PM
Does he do the voice for Humphrey Milner on DTL? It sounds really different.
Yeah, it's him.  They just pitch-shift it down a bit.

the midnight watch baboon

Ahh, just sounds so much older grander and refined on DTL! Thanks BCC

biggytitbo

- You must have filmed reams of footage for Bellamy's people. In the editing process are you more inclined to just include the funniest stuff, or the stuff that works best from a character point of view and illuminates the topic in hand?

- What are your favorite characters from Down the Line/Bellamy's People and why?

biniput

The wikipedia entry for Higson is so scant and i would love to know how on earth they (he and Whitehouse) went so quick from plasterers to tv comedians.

- Just what did Fry and Laurie do to inspire you to comedy.

- Any idea how you went up so fast in comedy?