Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rolf Harris is 80

Started by Capes yesterday, March 30, 2010, 01:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capes yesterday

"Can you tell what it is yet?"

Yes, the great man is 80 today and what better way to celebrate than a thread dedicated to him.

http://www.rolfharris.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_harris

Rolf Harris - The Court of King Caractacus (live)

Rolf Harris -- Sun Arise

Here's an interview with Danny Baker broadcast last Saturday. Rolf is on good form with some impromtu singing and an anecdote about how he put Lennon in his place.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/dannybaker/dannybaker_20100327-1246b.mp3

Music stuff

I was lucky enough to meet him about 10 years ago and he gracious enough to spend 5 minutes chatting with me and even gave me tips on how to make my own wobble board.

Happy birthday, Rolf.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Rolf Harris is utterly brilliant, I used love Rolf's Cartoon Club. He wouldn't stand a chance today, no way are the tv powers that be gonna let a bearded Australian man present a kids show, a shame as I found his obvious enthusiasm very engaging as a child. He'd probably be lampooned as a paedo in every playground as well.

So I suppose this is a good a place as any to bring up the paedo "rumours"?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on March 30, 2010, 02:16:59 AM
So I suppose this is a good a place as any to bring up the paedo "rumours"?
NO!

Amongst many, Rolf's finest moments are probably his appearances on 2 of the best albums ever made:
Kate Bush & rolf Harris - Sunset -The Painter's Link
Kate Bush - The Dreaming

boxofslice

Like many of my age, Rolf was a big part of my television childhood especially Rolf's Cartoon Club.  My older sister appeared with the man on his Rolf On Saturday, OK programme where he would do the show from a different school each week.

Looking around for Rolf stuff I found this:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rolf_Harris

This made me chuckle

QuoteAlleged acts of Bestiality after his hit single, "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" followed after the working title to the song was leaked as Bestiality's Best, Boys. (Shagawallaby). Notable verses included "Put your spunk in a skunk," and "Intercourse with a Horse."

And this made me laugh harder than it should

QuoteThe creator of Star Wars, George Lucas, hired Rolf on several occasions as a stunt double for himself in case of any suicidal fans of the trilogy. Harris needed little make-up to portray Lucas beyond several pounds of fake rubber neck. The only things the fans didn't understand were the extra leg and the Australian accent, but that was quickly dismissed as a costume design that didn't quite make the movie but would have replaced Chewbacca.

Many happy returns to the Rolfaroo.

jaydee81

mobias

ozziechef

When I was younger we took a river cruise down the Thames between London and Windsor.

On the way the captain was pointing out points of interest and one of which was Rolf Harris' house. As we went past we could see Rolf in his garden, the captain blew the horn and Rolf turned round and waved to everyone, apparently he used to do that quite often.

A great man indeed.

madhair60

boxofslice

This is what Saturday afternoons used to be about.

Rolf Harris - Cartoon Time - 1980s

Remember Phil Cool? 

Phil Cool does Rolf Harris

Santa's Boyfriend

He used to be an alcoholic, according to one guy I met at ITV West.  Or rather, he never, ever drank.  You can kind of see it in him, he's  a very driven man who doesn't do anything by halves.  People like that often take the same approach to drink.

Personally I love the guy.

Cerys

I spent a while as a kid thinking that he came from Durham.  He did a cover of Durham Town - or at least I think he did.

neveragain

I've met him twice (or possibly thrice) and my most cherished encounter was telling him his pen had leaked in his pocket at an amateur theatre night he was visiting. Happy birthdays.

'Is it all blue? Awww dear!'

biggytitbo

23 Daves

A friend of mine was with his three-year old son on a train journey once, and Rolf Harris sat opposite them both.  The journey continued as normal, until my friend could stand it no more, and said "Look, I'm really sorry to disturb you, but I don't feel I can let this opportunity pass by... would you mind if you gave me your autograph?"

Rolf was incredibly obliging, and after giving the autograph tried to entertain his child by doing various acapella music noises.  Naturally, the kid had absolutely no idea who he was, and was completely and totally terrified.  As terrified as anyone would be if a bearded Aussie stranger started making ridiculous noises at them, I expect.

Apparenty Rolf was just amused by the incident and told my friend that he had a "really good, well behaved kid".  So that's my Rolf story. 

Brundle-Fly

I attended Mark Speight's memorial and Rolf Harris gave a him beautiful eulogy. He completely broke down halfway through which had us all teary eyed. By the time he gathered himself and performed Sun Arise with a full band, we were all sobbing. Absolutely heartbreaking.

On a cheerier note, I loved his learn to swim commercials when he sticks his foot in the air at the end.

Guy

I once saw an edition of Rolf's Cartoon Club where, in the 'workshop' bit where kids made their own animations, one little kid wanted his to be soundtracked by Wee Rule by the Wee Papa Girl Rappers. Not knowing the song, Rolf asked him how it went, so the kid limply sang it by way of explanation. Rolf ended up doing this weird Rolf-style sound-effect approximation of it based on what he just heard the kid do. It was utterly bizarre.

Natnar

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 30, 2010, 07:48:19 AM
NO!

Amongst many, Rolf's finest moments are probably his appearances on 2 of the best albums ever made:
Kate Bush & rolf Harris - Sunset -The Painter's Link
Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Plus there's another collaboration between Rolf & Kate that might see the light of day soon http://bucketofmoney.blogspot.com/2009/12/kate-spotting.html

And yes, The Dreaming is IMO the best album of all time.

non capisco

Quote from: Guy on March 30, 2010, 01:39:28 PM
I once saw an edition of Rolf's Cartoon Club where, in the 'workshop' bit where kids made their own animations, one little kid wanted his to be soundtracked by Wee Rule by the Wee Papa Girl Rappers. Not knowing the song, Rolf asked him how it went, so the kid limply sang it by way of explanation. Rolf ended up doing this weird Rolf-style sound-effect approximation of it based on what he just heard the kid do. It was utterly bizarre.

Ha ha!

I adored Rolf Harris' Cartoon Time, the mid-80s BBC one with just him at a desk sketching characters (and pointing out continuity mistakes a lot IIRC) by way of introduction to the cartoon proper. Even if he did show rubbish Barney Bear cartoons a bit too often, it seemed to the 8 year old me the perfect format. Genial bearded man draws, you have to guess who he's drawing (notbarneybearnotbarneybear) then you get a cartoon. I liked it a lot more than Cartoon Club, which was too much of those kids faffing about with sellotape and not enough actual CARTOONS, although the bit Guy remembers does sound great.

HappyTree

Every time we went swimming my brother and I would do the "Rolf foot-wave". Buh-bye!

biggytitbo

Quote from: non capisco on March 30, 2010, 06:25:55 PM
Ha ha!

I adored Rolf Harris' Cartoon Time, the mid-80s BBC one with just him at a desk sketching characters (and pointing out continuity mistakes a lot IIRC) by way of introduction to the cartoon proper. Even if he did show rubbish Barney Bear cartoons a bit too often, it seemed to the 8 year old me the perfect format. Genial bearded man draws, you have to guess who he's drawing (notbarneybearnotbarneybear) then you get a cartoon. I liked it a lot more than Cartoon Club, which was too much of those kids faffing about with sellotape and not enough actual CARTOONS, although the bit Guy remembers does sound great.

There was a runour going round at the time that the cartoons were very lightly drawn in pencil before hand so the camera wouldn't pick them up and Rolf essentially just traced them. That doesn't explain why his Daffy Duck was so wrong looking though. Still probably just about my favourite program as a kid. It's tragic that kids today can't see all those amazing golden era cartoons on normal telly, they're been culturally deprived!

Glebe

Happy Birthday Rolf!

Quote from: HappyTree on March 30, 2010, 08:07:58 PM
Every time we went swimming my brother and I would do the "Rolf foot-wave". Buh-bye!

LEARN TO SWIM

weekender

Quote from: jutl on March 30, 2010, 11:57:55 AM
Weep it up:

Two Little Boys - Rolf Harris

One of the best songs ever recorded.  That's not hyperbole or sarcasm, it's a fact.

Well, strictly speaking it's my opinion I suppose.

Thank you for reading my opinion of Rolf Harris's Two Little Boys and also a small detour into my head whilst I consider writing about my thought process when considering responding to something that is technically and factually inaccurate wot I wrote.

HappyTree

I was convinced he said "Buh-bye" at the end. All those years and we were misquoting The Harris!

HappyTree

The first time I ever heard the song "The Court of King Caractacus" it was this:

BBC TV Play Away 1970's With Brian Cant

Endlessly fascinating. And there's something about 70s girls.

Glebe

Fact: My Dad looks like Rolf. Seriously.

23 Daves

As a child, I used to think Colonel Sanders off the KFC sign was Rolf Harris, and that they were all Rolf Harris chicken outlets.

"Can we go to Rolf's place, mum?"
"For the last time, KFC is NOT owned by Rolf Harris..."

HappyTree

The ultimate would be going to KFC and ordering your luncheon whilst eefin' and eyefin'.

biggytitbo

Quote from: 23 Daves on March 31, 2010, 01:23:01 PM
As a child, I used to think Colonel Sanders off the KFC sign was Rolf Harris, and that they were all Rolf Harris chicken outlets.

"Can we go to Rolf's place, mum?"
"For the last time, KFC is NOT owned by Rolf Harris..."
ROLFMAO!