Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Birdemic

Started by Pinckle Wicker, April 10, 2010, 08:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Apparently no one has put any funding despite the director going round Sundance doing his utmost. Eventually he just drove round in a van covered in fake blood and bird shit promoting it!

Birdemic: Shock And Terror Official Theatrical Trailer

Peru

I'd be amazed if this isn't tongue-in-cheek. The trailer just looks 'off' to me, like they have knowingly made something shite.

SpeedingOnTheNeedlebliss

This stinks of someone having seen the cult success of The Room to be honest. I did laugh when it went from  awful sort of romcom thing to shit horror movie though.

Glebe

Yeah, looks great. As does this:

Mega Piranha.

variant

I've heard of this, but only because Scott 'cunt' Mills keeps going on about it in typical RANDOM!! LOLZ!!! fashion alongside his irritating sidekick with her rehearsed lines.

Sorry I don't really have anything to add about the film. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

TotalNightmare

I saw this.

I recommend you don't.

A friend of mine was trying to put together a short film with killer birds in, so we watched this to see how it was done on a small budget (we hadn't heard of its shitiness at that time)... it was easily the most painful thing i ever sat through.

When the director was pimping this for distribution - they all rejected him until he dreamt up covering a hired car in dead birds and film promotion info - on the basis of that, some small DVD distributer gave him a release for the film... and that marketing idea was easily the most impressive part of this whole fucking thing.

It's not even 'so good its bad' - its just bad... the acting is painful, the sound quality is awful, the plot goes NO WHERE for 50 mins, the characters are written as though it was a GCSE drama assignment, the bird effects are flat, awkward and useless...

...the gore scenes are like Wacaday moments, the music is painful, the sound of the crying birds carries on for ages and really gives you a headache, the gunfire moments look like Blake 7 without the budget...

...there is a sex scene with 2 fully clothed people and the seduction moment reeks of 'i don't want my mum to watch me in this' shame, the exposition of the why and how is laughable in its stupidity, there is a scientist character who doesn't so much reel off the plot, but gives a awkward crow barred in environmental message that boils down to 'why can't man and nature just get along'...

...it tries to copy the structure of the birds - and does so almost perfectly - just forgetting about the masterful direction, music, suspense, mystery, character development and shock... he just left in the 'nothing happens for most the film, then it goes crazy and then it all stops' bit...

The logic of the bird attacks makes no sense - they are either mad, angry, out for revenge or a mutation... and some of them blow up and cover people in killer bird guts that melts faces... for some reason... and they attack like the baddies in Space Invaders...

The cgi is painful... fake fire effects and explosions look silly against a frozen still image of the sea front town.

I know this guy did it off his own back and tried hard to get it made, and im sure he had his heart in the right place, but i don't think i could ever sit through this movie again...

Here is a summery
Hello, I'm a successful young business man.
Hello, I'm a sexy young model.
We Should date!
I've just closed a multi million dollar deal with a crap idea.
My mum takes pictures of me and so therefore i'm a big time model.
50 mins later
Let's double date with those two shit characters.
Shall we go back to my luxury hotel that is really a Motel?
Let's have awkward sex with our clothes on.
Oh no, over night, some birds went mental!
Push a matress against the door.
Wow - we suddenly have guns and an SUV.
BIRD ATTACK
Wow - we suddenly find 2 more friends with guns
Wow - we suddenly find 2 children, left for dead under a car.
BIRD ATTACK
Mr Scientist hates humans, loves birds, explains everything, fucks off.
Our female friend just got attacked whilst taking a shit in a field. Now she is dead.
Our male friend just got killed rescuing 2 people from a double decker bus who were actually safer inside the bus
BIRD ATTACK
BIRDS BURST
Kill everyone who was on the bus, who is now out of the bus, people melt.... slowly.
Let's drive to the beach
Let's stay over night at the beach
We lost the kids
We found the kids
BIRD ATTACK
Put your guns down, birds are only attacking because you are holding guns.
We are out of petrol.
Let's walk..
The end - we are rich and have found 2 kids.

Lee Van Cleef

In contrast, I thought the film was hilarious.  I mean... birds divebomb buildings sounding like planes, and creating giant fiery explosions on impact.  What's not to love?

DukeDeMondo

The sequel's doing the rounds. Loads of MST types gurnin about it ruining their fun by taking the piss out itself.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1674047/

Famous Mortimer

Birdemic is a hilarious film, because it takes itself so seriously. I think as soon as a sequel was announced, everyone who loved the first film for that reason would not enjoy the sequel...it's like Tommy Wiseau after The Room, when he made that "pilot" for a sitcom.

SavageHedgehog

I'm speaking from a position of ignorance, not having seen the film, but I agree with Peru that the trailer makes it look like at least some people involved in the production of the original Birdemic were taking the piss. That the trailer for the second has much the same effect is also potentially revealing. Having said that, someone on IMDB claiming to have been an extra on the sequel claims the director was totally sincere and everyone stayed out of his way because they knew that would be for the best, so who knows?

Famous Mortimer

Having seen the film (more than once, for some reason) I can confirm that while people working on the film may have suspected how bad it was going to be, everyone played it straight.

I was about to say "films that bad don't get made deliberately", but then I've pretty much come round to the way of thinking that "After Last Season" is a huge wind-up, on the cast, crew and audience, made by a director who knew what he was doing (while still being unable to direct a film).