Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:05:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Storing Vinyl

Started by chocky909, May 11, 2010, 11:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

Any tips? I have my small but valuable collection in a conveniant space in my wardrobe currently but I'm getting rid of that wardrobe and looking for a new home. I don't really have a suitable shelf and I mainly buy vinyl for collecting potential rarities so they don't need to be readily accessible.

Has anyone got this kind of thing? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-record-holds-Singles-Silver/dp/B000WIF5X2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm sure it would do the job but I'm not going to be taking my vinyl to clubs to DJ so is that over the top? It would be nice to keep them safe from dust and light as well as impact though.

What about plastic sleeves? Some of my LPs come with and some without. I suppose it would make sense to protect the cardboard sleeve from marks and dents by getting a nice thick plastic sleeve wouldn't it?

There must be a load of vinyl collectors on the forum. What's your setup and how can I look after my growing collection?

Serge

I'm fortunate enough that my dad is good at making things  (I didn't inherit this knack) and ran me up some very nice shelves nearly twenty years ago, which are still going strong to this day. Obviously, a few years ago, my vinyl collection outgrew those shelves, so anything that doesn't fit is stacked in front of them. Although I hate to recommend the fuckers, IKEA apparently do sturdy shelving things which are useful for vinyl.

23 Daves

Quote from: Serge on May 11, 2010, 11:28:15 PM
I'm fortunate enough that my dad is good at making things  (I didn't inherit this knack) and ran me up some very nice shelves nearly twenty years ago, which are still going strong to this day. Obviously, a few years ago, my vinyl collection outgrew those shelves, so anything that doesn't fit is stacked in front of them. Although I hate to recommend the fuckers, IKEA apparently do sturdy shelving things which are useful for vinyl.

IKEA are honestly a good, cheap bet for this sort of thing.  I picked up some wooden boxes from them last year at about four quid each which were ideal for storing all my seven inch singles in.  You can "stack" the boxes on top of each other which also gets around pesky storage space issues, although if you're anything like me you'll grumble at the prospect of having to shuffle the boxes around all the time just to find the record you want. 

Mine are on the floor in cardboard boxes, stacked upright of course, and front first so I can flick through them as you do in the shop. All of them have hard PVC covers (www.covers33.co.uk). If I hadn't packed them up to move back to the UK in 2 weeks I'd have taken a picture.

Absorb the anus burn

Ikea shelving for me. 500 or so LPs on sturdy pine, all in plastic sleeves... My favourite place in the world is kneeling at the monolith of my vinyl wall, then delicately stroking Moondog's spine, P-Model's plastic or even (if in the mood) Ashra's Correlations! The shelving cost a bit, but it's worth it. The only thing I spend my money on is vinyl LPs, w*** and Relentless energy drinks.... This means I look like a tramp and live off supermarket own brand crap. When I'm skint, I sell rare LPs - I hate this - it makes me feel like a bad mother dumping her baby at social services.

Vinyl is worth looking after, if even only as a cynical investment - CD's, mp3s, tapes, etc. can be copied / shared, but unless you own a small efficient plant, with a printing press and device for moulding plastic - then vinyl is unique - a true object of art... I listen to so much music, I sometimes feel giddy - but 95% of music recorded pre-1983 sounds better on vinyl. The mood and true intention of the music is present on LP, despite hisses and crackles, while CDs / mp3s can sound cold and devoid of charm. Even scratched, messed up, dusty vinyl comes up nice if you clean it properly - take care of what will be highly sought after objects in 250 years............... Unless you own anything by Mike And The Mechanics, because then you should slap yourself hard and throw LP into a fucking bin immediately.

NattyDread

I have the 4x4 version of this Ikea Expedit.

They are tremendous value. Each cube will hold about 80 albums. Wish I'd bought the 5x5 now though as the floor is overflowing with records.
You can get a 2x4 and put it on it's side too.
I heard Ikea have stopped doing the boxes ideal for 7"s (Trissa I think) which is a real pisser as I was just about to get around to buying a few.

Ah yes, I have the 4x4 version of the Ikea Expedit too.  I've had mine for around seven years, moved house twice in the meantime (meaning I've had to dismantle and, er, "mantle" it again twice too), and it's never got wonky once despite having all the holes filled chock-a-block with twelve-inchers.  They're all you need, basically.

(Incidentally, if you check out the cardboard boxes to the right of the unit in the photo, you can tell that the owner gets vinyls pressed at gzvinyl in the Czech Republic.)

23 Daves

Quote from: NattyDread on May 13, 2010, 08:17:46 AM
I heard Ikea have stopped doing the boxes ideal for 7"s (Trissa I think) which is a real pisser as I was just about to get around to buying a few.

The absolute bastards!  I need some more of those, and was going to buy them shortly.  Infinitely cheaper and better than getting a seven inch storage box on ebay and paying for a battered "retro" case which is basically some red plastic covering over some chipboard with a  lid and ineffective "lock" attached.

chocky909

Thanks for t'replies. I'll have to get myself down to Ikea and get me one of those 4x4 Expedits. I'll get some plastic sleeves too, thanks LR. Is it these that I want? http://covers33.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=147 Just to protect the covers like.

http://covers33.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=210

These are the ones I mean - solid plastic rather than just floppy polyethelene, provides actual protection to the corners of the sleeves.

rudi

I made and put up four massive shelves which are by now at a slightly worrying angle (the walls of my property are made of dust and prayer). The rest of my ludicrous amount of records are stacked, slotted and generally wedges all over the shop.

I have too many and I dread moving house next year. :-(

Serge

I've moved house three times in as many years and had to shift the entire record collection (and about 40 boxes of books) each time. I don't regret a single move, though.

chocky909

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 15, 2010, 09:48:02 AM
http://covers33.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=210

These are the ones I mean - solid plastic rather than just floppy polyethelene, provides actual protection to the corners of the sleeves.

Ah, getting my plastics mixed up there. Cheers.

Quote from: chocky909 on May 15, 2010, 05:14:16 PM
Ah, getting my plastics mixed up there. Cheers.

Myself also, as it's polythene not polyethalene. PVC is the ones you want though.

What a humourless post..

rudi

Lkea appear to have stopped stocking the boxes I use to store and move my 12"s. Has anyone found equally decent ones any time recently?