Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Torchwood: The New World

Started by papalaz4444244, August 10, 2010, 05:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papalaz4444244

The Hollywood Reporter

QuoteThe new story will follow a CIA agent (Rex) and analyst (Ester) who tackle an alien-related global issue. Torchwood, having been destroyed and disbanded, is "like a legend now ... it's like something that's ceased to exist and is now spoken of only in whispers." Soon, Rex and Ester are on the run and are seeking out the help of Captain Jack and Gwen.

"The two teams coming together is a big part of the story -- are they friends or enemies? There's a lot of sparks and excitement."

"We definitely have a really big story to tell," added executive producer Julie Gardner. "It's absolutely rebooted to welcome in a new audience." ....

The ten episodes will be very fast paced, telling a self-contained story with the miniseries "Children of Earth" being used as a template.

Being on Starz, the show could potentially take advantage of looser standards for nudity and violence.

"I've always had loose standards and practices," Davies said. "If the story demands intimacy or savagery, we will go there absolutely ... [but] there's nothing better than a great big global thriller that stops for a sex scene -- it's probably hard to make that happen in a thriller."

USA Today

QuoteThe team has left Wales for America, as creator Russell T. Davies has left Britain for Los Angeles. The case will tie the two remaining Torchwood members (Jack and Eve Myles's Gwen) to the CIA, and will expand into a world-wide threat. And yet, says Davies, it "will be faithful" to the BBC original.

Davies says this story, which "had been ticking away in my mind for a long while," had not been planned as a Torchwood story at all. "And suddenly I thought, there's a popular show, there's a great story, let's put them together...It felt like it definitely could move forward and become new again."

Though it will be newer and bigger, the tone won't change, says Davies. Barrowman's Jack will still be TV's only bi-sexual hero, character will still be stressed, and humor will still play a large part in the show's make-up.

"I sit there in the editing room saying 'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke.'...It will always be a cheeky show."

Small Man Big Horse

You missed out all the paedo stuff.

QuoteOSWALD JONES - Caucasian, late 40s, a convicted murderer and pedophile. But he's no thug – this man is dangerously clever. Oswald escapes his sentence on a technicality, and finds himself becoming a media celebrity. And he's sharp enough to make the most of the situation, and profit from it. He's always thinking, always aware, always looking for the chance to promote himself – while living with the fact that many people want him dead. He appears to be wonderfully, genuinely repentant – but underneath, he's still boiling with lust and rage. And one day, he's going to lose control again. But this man is destined to become more important than even he could have foreseen, as terrifying events of worldwide significance begin to turn around him... Recurring Guest Star. Will appear in many, or possibly all 10 episodes.

I'm genuinely not making this up.

papalaz4444244

Christ.

I thought..

QuoteDavies says this story, which "had been ticking away in my mind for a long while," had not been planned as a Torchwood story at all.

and

Quote'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke.'

were bad enough....

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 10, 2010, 06:00:37 PM
You missed out all the paedo stuff.

I'm genuinely not making this up.

I dont usually do all that WORST IDEA EVER kind of stuff, but...
WORST IDEA EVER

Mister Six

To be fair, Children of Earth wasn't originally conceived as a Torchwood story and that turned out pretty bloody spectacular.

I'm being surprisingly positive about this, actually, paedo nonsense and all.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Mister Six on August 10, 2010, 08:24:58 PM
To be fair, Children of Earth wasn't originally conceived as a Torchwood story and that turned out pretty bloody spectacular.

I'm being surprisingly positive about this, actually, paedo nonsense and all.
The best thing is, Davies is only writing the first episode so...... I do think it could be watchable.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I clicked on this thread thinking it meant Deadwood rather than Torchwood and was extraordinarily confused for a few seconds.

papalaz4444244

According to the Chicago Tribune, the writers responsible for the 10-part series are, including Davies himself:

- John Shiban      ("Breaking Bad," "Supernatural," "The X-Files")
- Doris Egan        ("House," "Tru Calling," "Dark Angel')
- Jane Espenson ("Game of Thrones," "Battlestar Galactica," "Buffy")
- John Fay           (the only other UK writer on the team who, of course, wrote two episodes of "Torchwood: Children of Earth")

Davis has said that the new series of Torchwood will be written in more of a "writer's room" style, where all the writers collectively write the episodes, as opposed to each writer penning an episode or episodes on his/her own. Filming on the new Starz-BBC Torchwood series will begin in January, and will feature material shot in the US and the UK.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2010/08/torchwood.html

Small Man Big Horse

I'm really looking forward to this now, the only thing I hope is that they make Jack more like his The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances self, largely as John Barrowman can't do the whole emotions thing that well. Or at least the botox has stopped him from being able to do so. The list of writers is impressive too, with only Doris Egan not impressing that much, though she did write a surprisingly decent season one episode of Smallville.

Santa's Boyfriend

Children of Earth had some fantastic stuff in it - but it would have been SO much better if it hadn't been a Torchwood story.  The fact that it had to include all the Torchwood cast etc seemed a great shame to me, as it seemed to drag the whole thing down.

It still had some of the most chilling TV moments of last year though.  I'm sure I'll watch this new one.

biggytitbo

Some more info released here, although some of it sounds like it was written by fans, not sure if it's come from rtd.
http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010/08/torchwood-new-world_18.html

papalaz4444244

I was just about to post the same thing :0

A bit...ropey, eh?