Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cardiacs

Started by Dirty Boy, August 22, 2010, 06:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

Are unlikely to ever play again according to this rather gutting interview with Kavus Torabi.

http://epilepticgibbon.wordpress.com/

*a million sad faces*

Neville Chamberlain

Shit, i was fearing the worst when I saw this thread :o(

As for Cardiacs never playing live again, well I kind of sort of suspected this would be the case, but it's gutting to hear it actually finally said by someone so close to Tim and the band.

Can't wait for the tribute album, though - and the forthcoming Knifeworld too! The first one was a thing of wonder!

PaulTMA

At what time during the interview is this subject raised?

Phil_A

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 23, 2010, 03:55:04 PM
At what time during the interview is this subject raised?

About 19 minutes in.

Absorb the anus burn

Arse! I love this band and urge any music fans with open minds and ears to check them out... Even the early Cardiac Arrest material is great. Sing To God is one of the finest LPs of the last 20 years and a certain live performance of Dog Like Sparky is one of my greatest gig moments... Arse and fuck.

gloria

Details of the Tim Smith tribute album are here: http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/items/597.htm

Pilf

As you can tell by my name, Cardiacs are obviously my favourite ever band and - sadly - since the news of Tim's illness a few years ago I haven't really been able to play them much at all as I've found it all too upsetting. The thought of never seeing them live is horrible, but not as horrible as Tim never being able to play again - and I don't even know him!

All buy the tribute album, buy it!

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, I haven't really played Cardiacs much recently either to be honest. If anything, we should be playing them more out of some sort of tribute[nb]I've been wearing my Cardiacs T-shirt a lot more than normal recently though![/nb], but it is genuinely upsetting. I've actually played stuff from the Cardiacs family more than actual Cardiacs. Anyone else here got the Knifeworld album?

Oh, and can't wait to get my filthy paws on the Cardiacs tribute album...!

gloria

Info:

QuoteTracklisting

THE LEADER OF THE STARRY SKIES ~ A TRIBUTE TO TIM SMITH
SONGBOOK ONE

Savour ~ William D. Drake
Big Ship ~ Ultrasound
Fear ~ Oceansize
Let Alone My Plastic Doll ~ Mark Cawthra
Day Is Gone ~ The Trudy
Foundling ~ Stars In Battledress
Will Bleed Amen ~ Max Tundra featuring Sarah Measures
Shaping The River ~ Julianne Regan
The Stench Of Honey ~ Knifeworld
Is This The Life ~ mikrokosmos
March ~ North Sea Radio Orchestra
Victory Egg ~ Sidi Bou Said
Wind And Rains Is Cold ~ Rose Kemp Vs Rarg
Lillywhite's Party ~ Robert White featuring Andy Partridge
Up In Annie's Room ~ Katharine Blake
Stoneage Dinosaurs ~ Steven Wilson
Home Of Fadeless Splendour ~ The Scaramanga Six

All titles Tim Smith

This is not just a tribute album. It is an endeavour borne of love.

Tim Smith composer, principal songwriter, lead singer and guitarist of Cardiacs and numerous other seminal music projects suffered a severe stroke in 2008. The artists on this record have come together to celebrate Tim's unique music, to further it's dominion and importantly, to raise funds for Tim, who is at present unable to do many of the things we all take for granted.

Everyone involved in the making of this album has generously given their time and creativity freely, a testament to the love we all share for Tim.

All profits from the sale of this record will go directly to Tim Smith.

Your pre-order will entitle you a free, exclusive limited edition album of Tim's songs covered by friends and family.
This extra album will ONLY be available to pre-orders.

running order is;

Spell With a Shell ~ Silvery
Arnald ~ Eureka Machines
Tree Tops High ~ Jason Pegg
My Trade Mark ~ Bug Prentice
Gloomy News ~ The Gasman
To Go Off And Things ~ Panixphere
I Hold My Love In My Arms ~ Local Girls
Joining The Plankton ~ a/c woods
Everything Is Easy ~ Scaramanga Six
Dead Mouse ~ Spiritwo
All Spectacular ~ Agency
Nurses Whispering Verses ~ idiotbox
The Duck and Roger The Horse ~ Stephen EvEns and the Gilchrist Family Band

All titles Tim Smith

This second album will now be in hard copy. Pressed and delivered!
(previously planned as download only).

Order here: http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/items/597.htm

sproggy

Couple of tasters played by Kavus on Steve Davis' Phoenix FM show.

download.

sproggy

Listening to the main album now and so far very impressed.  I like the way some contributors have kept faithfully to the original compositions whilst others have been more experimental and injected a bit of their own interpretations.

Stand out tracks for me seem to be North Sea Radio Orchestra's version of March and Steven Wilson's - Stoneage Dinosaurs  and Drake's - Savour though I'm sure that'll ebb and flow with repeated listenings.

Also received the bonus disc, which sounds a little more raw and un-polished but contains a cracking acoustic version of Dirty Boy.

Neville Chamberlain

Listening to Leader of the Starry Skies now - am particularly impressed with Knifeworld's version of Stench of Honey, and Ultrasound's rather haunting, echoey Big Ship is another stand-out. To be honest, I haven't stopped grinning from ear since listening to this...and I'm only on Side One...!

A truly marvellous undertaking on the part of all those involved, this CD!

Neville Chamberlain

That Mikrokosmos is fucking outstanding...!

Actually, not a duff note yet by anyone!

gloria

And a secret track by Sarah at the end of the Loyal Companion album!

Neville Chamberlain

Thanks for the link, gloria. Yes, this is very sad - good to hear the music makes him happy, though.

sproggy

Poor sausage.  I hope he takes some solace from all us fishies rooting for him and hope the money makes his life a little more comfortable.

Dirty Boy

Terrible news about Tim. I'm really quite depressed thinking about it, but wish him all the best.

I shed a tear earlier watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ari_DzIvI9c
Think it's from the last Astoria gig.