Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Hill's Cunty Single [split topic]

Started by packageholiday, October 18, 2010, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packageholiday

I thought this weekend's episode was a considerable improvement on last week's. Particularly enjoyed the schoolfriends song.

This, on the other hand, is horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQ4su7xWuA

Not only is it excruciatingly lazy and unfunny, but it seems to confirm my suspicions that he's a Daily Mail style rightwinger, first aroused by the postal striker-bashing in the last series.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, he's really a fucking awful turd sometimes.

boxofslice

I can see what he was going for there but it's somewhat misguided.

buntyman

Good heavens, what a pathetic attempt at humour. What's he done that for? Was that from a recent TV Burp episode or is he bringing that out as a single?

packageholiday

Quote from: buntyman on October 18, 2010, 03:01:13 PM
Good heavens, what a pathetic attempt at humour. What's he done that for? Was that from a recent TV Burp episode or is he bringing that out as a single?

Astonishingly, it's being released as a single, the first to be taken from his new album.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funny-Times-Harry-Hill/dp/B0045XRJ0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1287411370&sr=1-1

Jemble Fred

It's crap that it's just changing the lyrics of a shit song by a shit band, certainly. The Little Britain aping which seems to bothering everyone else isn't anywhere near as annoying as that.

Is the whole album just going to be pop songs with the lyrics changed? I fucking hope not.

Famous Mortimer

That was so bad I couldn't quite believe it. Just extraordinary.

idunnosomename

Is  that crummy tune not even original? I don't know what it's a parody of if it is one. It's not funny enough though.

Harry was promoting his CD in the Sunday Times this week. To stick to Murdoch's paywall: http://yfrog.com/f/n4pict0001wvj/
Hope it's big enough to read.

I don't really get the anti-postal strike that people keep bringing up. You make it sound like he denied the holocaust or something. And I remember he did do an "up the workers" to camera after, so it was clearly with a hint of irony.

Yes

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 18, 2010, 04:10:27 PM
That was so bad I couldn't quite believe it. Just extraordinary.
Urgh agreed. Nothing interesting in the whole thing. Bitter taste.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 18, 2010, 06:27:52 PM
Is  that crummy tune not even original? I don't know what it's a parody of if it is one. It's not funny enough though.

Sounds like a parody of The Ting Tings' 'That's Not My Name'. He's managed to make it worse.

imitationleather

Good fucking grief. Not the first time he's done an appalling song though. She Must Never Be Queen is perhaps even worse.

It seems a bit uncomfortably close to him insulting the stereotypical image of the mainstream ITV audience who love him and his show as well...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2010, 07:01:11 PM
She Must Never Be Queen is perhaps even worse.

Oh god yes, I'd put it right out of my mind. Which bodes well for doing the same with this, and getting on with enjoying his non-musical pursuits.

Quote from: packageholiday on October 18, 2010, 02:20:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQ4su7xWuA

That is crap. It's more disappointing coming from one of my favourite comedians.

I think HH must have a desire somewhere to be a 'proper' singer, but knows his voice really ain't up to it, though still insists on shoehorning some singing into his career every so often (even if it's just the silly kind of stuff).

CaledonianGonzo

Oh, Mr Harry!  Why so cunty?

As much as I love Hill, that is sans fucking merit.

Danger Man

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 19, 2010, 08:47:20 AM
Oh, Mr Harry!  Why so cunty?.

(Some lavish party ITV no doubt holds for its A-list stars)

Harry Hill: Alastair! Good to see you again, how's things?

Al Murray: Matthew! Simply wonderful darling. Anyway, I must dash, I have to be back in the Cayman Islands before midnight...for tax purposes.

Harry Hill: Blimey! I didn't realise the Pub Landlord was that popular.

Al Murray: Oh no, darling. My agent told me that I'd reached saturation with the B's, C1's and C2's and that I'd have to go for the D's and E's if I wanted to increase my portfolio. So I put on a bright pink Nazi uniform and got Little Britain's sloppy seconds.

Harry Hill: Respect due!

Al Murray: Lots of pink, Harry, and remember, you can pretty much call them cunts to their faces and they'll still be glad of the attention.

MojoJojo

Quote from: boxofslice on October 18, 2010, 02:51:38 PM
I can see what he was going for there but it's somewhat misguided.

I was thinking the opposite - I can't see what he was going for. The verses are just listing things which kids have started doing in the last 10 years - mobile phones and trampolines. I'm surprised he didn't have her riding a scooter around at some point. (Actually I didn't watch the whole thing).

Agree with the misguided bit though.

I'm just glad someone's finally having a go at those poor people who live on council estates at long last.

Alberon

That was awful. It's not like the jokes misfired. There weren't any.

And the video seems just really really lazy.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Can someone lock me out of this thread somehow? I haven't watched it and I have to make sure I never do. It would literally destroy my childhood.

Jemble Fred

Well you could have ignored it, but now you'll be forced to see this thread every time it's bumped.

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on October 19, 2010, 11:46:53 AM
It would literally destroy my childhood.

Childhood? How? I thought you were grown up? It's Harry Hill, not Brian Cant.

Neil

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on October 19, 2010, 10:17:16 AM
I'm just glad someone's finally having a go at those poor people who live on council estates at long last.

We're valid targets for comedy, just like everyone else.  It's just that, if you're punching down, you've got to be really funny and your attitude has to be defensible.  Harry Hill utterly fails in both regards, here, so just ends up looking like a desperately miserable right-wing cunt.  Harry Enfield always manages to get this kind of thing right, ditto Viz.  With The Benefits and The Slobs, you have genuinely likeable and funny characters ("I don't like braaaaahn!"), so you don't care he's mocking those less fortunate.  I guess, too, that the weird chip he's always had on his shoulder about Oxbridge comedians like Stephen Fry helps balance that kind of thing out.

Just watching this again, as I was wondering if Hill would have gotten away with it, had he dropped the baby stuff. [nb]I'm sure "Chantelle" will drop her baby soon enough, given the working classes are apparently too selfish and loathsome to look after their pets or kids properly.[/nb]  Hadn't noticed that the girl in the video is meant to be 14, which makes the whole thing even more contemptible.  The attitude behind the whole thing is fucking rotten, and just comes across like a particularly hateful Daily Mail editorial.  An abject lesson in how to piss away decades of accrued goodwill, for no real reason.

I wanted to read the captions, but that video is too poor quality.  [noembed]Here's a better one[/noembed], where you can see that the car numberplate reads "CHAV 1."  Classy stuff.

Pedro_Bear

Right up until 2.08 this could have been a non-judgemental, first draft[nb]The Katie Price call-back feels like a place holder for an actual joke?[/nb] character sketch[nb]Not actually funny ha ha, but humorous and light-hearted?[/nb], couldn't it?

Some of us might find this next song by The Lancashire Hotpots cunty, but the differences will be obvious (it's about an emo kid in Lancashire): [noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmLdNm9Wm0[/noembed]

There are several layers apparent here. The protagonist singer's bemusement at his mate's new behaviour, the mate coming out as emo, and the slice of life in the closed community where this everyday non-drama is unfolding. Each element reflects back humorously on the other. We get a neat little character sketch of the scene. The intended audience is going to side with the protagonist, but they're going to have to laugh at themselves to get there, hence the huge difference.

This rubbish[nb]INB4 a link to Harry Hill explaining in a thinly-veilled advert for the new album future interview that he was motivated by raising awareness of Teen Pregnancy.[/nb] from Harry Hill doesn't even sketch out the narrator's point of view clearly, certainly doesn't sketch the girl's or her environment.

I thought he did jokes about badgers and mashed potato? This is a bit of a diversion for him, isn't it? Cocaine?[nb]No, I'm asking generally, my dealer's gone done got busted.[/nb]

Blumf

Quote from: Pedro_Bear on October 19, 2010, 07:41:40 PM
I thought he did jokes about badgers and mashed potato?

That'd be Andy Cunningham, Harry's all about weird blue cat puppets and Burt Kwouk.

Pedro_Bear

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YR_ijVD4RI[/noembed]

This appears to be the offical marketing channel for the product. The comments box is still open...

Lfbarfe

This really is no better than Jim Davidson singing White Christmas in his Chalky voice. In fact, it's far worse, because I expect better of Harry Hill, whereas my expectations of Jimbo are very very low.

vrailaine

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't think it could be as depressing as everyone was making out, but, well, it sadly is. And then some.

It also seems to be making the allegation that Brian Belo is dating a 14 year old girl. Which could be defamation of character, though I imagine Belo was more than happy to appear in it. Either way, that bit also left a bit of a nasty taste in my mouth.

Neil

Harry Hill did all that Badger Parade shit, Blumf.

I'm still just...baffled by this.  It's really inexplicably cunty, and so out of step with what you expect.  'Hey, I've successfully cultivated a cuddly, friendly, approachable, mainstream, tea-time persona.  Next move?  Ah, I'll mercilessly mock those who are far less privileged, portraying them as sub-human scum who don't even have the decency  to value human life.'

And he was a Doctor, too.  Like I said, the whole thing indicates a baffling lack of perspective, and a deeply unpleasant side to his character.

Why I Hate Tables

I watched this twice, making notes second time around as the first time the only thing I really picked out was the sound of Harry Hill really jumping the shark infested custard. Here are the notes :

- Harry Hill's voice shouldn't be coming out of this woman. This is ridiculous.
- Why is she on a trampoline?
- He keeps coming back to the trampoline. What's wrong with this man?
- This is ludicrously cast, she looks to be the same age as her dad and older than her mum.
- For someone whose career now hinges around commenting on snippets TV shows, this man is hopelessly out of touch.

The problem isn't even the subject matter. While piling scorn on a 14 year old girl is pretty cunty the worst crime here is that it's just hopelessly unfunny. He's taking the same useless pot shots at the same useless targets he and others of his ilk have been doing for years, and it's even less funny the fiftieth time around. For a while there's been a sneeriness to his TV Burp stuff but it was actually forgivable while it was still funny. Now it's just fucking pointless and actually a rung below the Daily Mail stupidity mentioned above, because he used to actually do something of value.

Ronnie the Raincoat

There is all the objectionable message of it, but the tune is also fuck-awful, as is his voice.  In short, it doesn't have any redeeming qualities.