Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jerry Sadowitz

Started by Queneau, December 17, 2010, 08:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queneau

My apologies in advance if there is a recent thread on this. I couldn't find one, the one I did find, via Google, was about six years old.

I've recently been trying to track down stuff by him and watched The Total Abuse Show and about five episodes of The People vs. Jerry Sadowitz. That's all I've seen of him and I've got to say that I enjoyed them immensely, and so booked tickets for his show in Norwich next year. Just wondering if anyone could recommend other things to watch. He seems pretty hard to come by on the internet so tracking stuff down might be a problem. Surely he's one of those comedians who could benefit from Go Faster Stripe?

Anyway, any related Sadowitz conversation would be good. Obviously The Total Abuse Show is old so it would be interesting to hear from others that has seen his more recent stuff.

You should definitely check out The Pallbearer's Revue. It's his best stuff I think.

Famous Mortimer

He's doing a night in Nottingham at Just The Tonic early next year, so people should go.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 21, 2010, 02:02:10 PM
He's doing a night in Nottingham at Just The Tonic early next year, so people should go.
He is? Ah, cheers for the tip - I have friends living in Nottingham and by a curious conidence, feel the need to visit...

Quote from: Cherry Pie on December 20, 2010, 08:37:11 PM
Some blogs on Sadowitz and Frankie Boyle that might be of interest to you.

http://chicalolita.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/the-trouble-with-tramadol-nights/

http://chicalolita.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/frankie-boyle-the-only-taboo-must-be-crap-comedy/
Any connection to this blog?

Danger Man

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 21, 2010, 02:02:10 PM

Many thanks for that.

Cherry Pie

Quote from: Ignatius_S on December 21, 2010, 02:04:51 PM
He is? Ah, cheers for the tip - I have friends living in Nottingham and by a curious conidence, feel the need to visit...
Any connection to this blog?

I wrote it. Also, he's doing shows in London in January, Scotland in March, a few other places. I posted a link, but it was removed.

Cherry Pie

Quote from: Queneau on December 17, 2010, 08:35:11 PM
My apologies in advance if there is a recent thread on this. I couldn't find one, the one I did find, via Google, was about six years old.

I've recently been trying to track down stuff by him and watched The Total Abuse Show and about five episodes of The People vs. Jerry Sadowitz. That's all I've seen of him and I've got to say that I enjoyed them immensely, and so booked tickets for his show in Norwich next year. Just wondering if anyone could recommend other things to watch. He seems pretty hard to come by on the internet so tracking stuff down might be a problem. Surely he's one of those comedians who could benefit from Go Faster Stripe?

Anyway, any related Sadowitz conversation would be good. Obviously The Total Abuse Show is old so it would be interesting to hear from others that has seen his more recent stuff.
How's this? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfj54l_jerry-sadowitz-100-greatest-stand-ups_fun
I don't know how to embed things. Sorry....

Tiny Poster

Ah, it would be great if someone could post a video of Sadowitz's Sayle impression now.

Retinend

Capurro struggled with the question of context just as people did in the last Sadowitz thread (and the one before that...). I really think its necessary to, at this point, admit that it's an article of faith. The 'context' of the offensiveness isn't like how people usually use the phrase "it was taken out of context". That phrase usually means that you, let's say, quote someone saying "Depp is mesmerising" but that this quote misleads from the fuller viewpoint of the source, e.g. "...a complete disaster. Depp is mesmerising but fails hold the thing together". When it comes to Sadowitz's gags there's no so such diminishing of their stark nature when you put them from a toilet wall back into his act. They're pretty much the same whether you show them as a clip, or as a part of a full show. I think that what people mean by "context" here is that his personality is so outlandishly vile and misanthropic that you fully realise it's a persona in "context", whereas on the toilet wall there's no personality - just disconcerting ambiguity. What makes it a defensible performance in the end hangs entirely on a faith regarding intent. If Sadowitz was revealed to be a BNP member (and I don't believe for a second he might be) then I'd no longer be able to laugh at his race-based jokes with the comfort I do now.

Jobey

I agree with Sayle. To this day, I have never seen any stand up even come close to the onslaught of both Sadowitz gigs I've been too.
To answer the OP, have yet to see Pallbearer's Revue but The People vs. Jerry Sadowitz is an overlooked classic, impossible to find.
I somehow downloaded 3 series of it via a torrent years ago.

Cherry Pie

Four-Star Review in The Times today

"Jerry Sadowitz is in the "fat Elvis" period of his career, he tells us. A superb close-up magician as well as an outlandishly gifted stand-up, he is no more likely to join the arena-playing set than he is to join any club that would have him as a member.

During his first flush of fame in the 1980s, his defiantly un-PC routines got him barred from club after club. His TV work only hints at the foul-mouthed fury that he plies on stage. But if you want to see a genius at work, come to this London venue. He attacks his material with a fluency and a fervour that make other comics look like locums.

Mind you, the delivery isn't the only thing that sets him apart from other acts. Sadowitz has been a sexist, racist, paranoid misogynist since before Frankie Boyle could shave. He takes unrepeatable pops at everyone from the Royal Family to Pakistani shopkeepers, from women — all women — to the handicapped. He will assault soft targets (Michael McIntyre, Bono) but does it so brutally that it makes your jaw drop. And that's before he's torn into the Irish, the Muslims and the English.

Is he for real? He could put us at ease by reassuring us that he's not. After all, he's wearing a top hat and toying with magic tricks . . . It wouldn't take much for him to put all this within a frame of irony. But he won't explain himself. And, more troublingly still, he's by no means all mad. When he says "Robert Mugabe, God bless that man," he backs up his heresy with shards of proper political analysis of the West's attitude to Africa. That he goes on in similarly glowing terms about Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Hitler and Vlad the Impaler gives a clue that what he says need not be what he thinks.

He explores the grey area between what we might think and what we might own up to thinking. You don't need to agree with it to find it funny. It's funny that he would dare to say it. It's funny because of the linguistic invention, the way that he flings out tightly written jokes as if having a psychotic episode in Morrisons. He's our powerless, pus-ridden id, raging at the horror of it all.

His bile's biggest victim is himself. But you still need a strong stomach. If you feel queasy after an opening in which he compounds the stereotypes of his own ethnicity (Scottish, Jewish) by playing a character called Rabbi Burns, well that's just the warm-up. "Only joking, ladies and gentlemen," he tells us, ". . . or am I?" Sadowitz is perverse, spiteful, unacceptable. And, on this form, unmissable."

is he doing a general uk tour?

I had a look at his website and there's no information in the gigs section

Ignatius_S

Check a tickets website like Ents24 - he is playing a few places, such as Nottingham, but not many.

Queneau

Yeah, not many; http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/19862/Jerry_Sadowitz.html

He's got dates at Leicester Square Theatre until the end of the month.

Cherry Pie

He's playing London this month, then going to Scotland in March.

Famous Mortimer

I got a ticket for Nottingham, even though I've been less than kind to him in the past I think he deserves another go. Anyone else going to Nottingham?

Cherry Pie

Michael Steele avatar! Just wanted to squee at that.

lipsink

They just showed a few wee Sadowitz clips on the the Jo Brand edition of that rubbish 'Comic's Choice' show. All in all a minute's worth but at least it's something! Him against a white background doing a hankerchief up the arse trick and a bit about pulling swans out of his hat cos he can't pull real birds? Is that from The Pall Bearer's Revue?

Cherry Pie

Quote from: lipsink on January 19, 2011, 12:10:41 AM
They just showed a few wee Sadowitz clips on the the Jo Brand edition of that rubbish 'Comic's Choice' show. All in all a minute's worth but at least it's something! Him against a white background doing a hankerchief up the arse trick and a bit about pulling swans out of his hat cos he can't pull real birds? Is that from The Pall Bearer's Revue?

Looked like the long lost C4 series The Other Side of Gerry Sadowitz. When it was still with a G...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cherry Pie on January 19, 2011, 12:15:04 AMLooked like the long lost C4 series The Other Side of Gerry Sadowitz. When it was still with a G...

Oh thank God for that, I was thinking I'd been going senile the last few years.  Looking at Wikipedia (which doesn't explicitly mention it), it seems that he must have changed it sometime in the early 90s.  I definitely remember him being a "G" when I saw him live in the 80s.

Cherry Pie

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 19, 2011, 05:44:20 AM
Oh thank God for that, I was thinking I'd been going senile the last few years.  Looking at Wikipedia (which doesn't explicitly mention it), it seems that he must have changed it sometime in the early 90s.  I definitely remember him being a "G" when I saw him live in the 80s.

There's a poster hanging in the lobby of the Bloomsbury Theatre where it was still with a G.

Rick O Shea

Has anyone seen the the programme "the greatest F ing Show on Earth". It's from the excellent Channel 4 series Without Walls and is about swearing on television, it's presented by Sadowitz. Has it ever appeared online?

Tiny Poster

It was on Youtube, but Sadowitz complained.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cherry Pie on January 19, 2011, 08:36:43 AMThere's a poster hanging in the lobby of the Bloomsbury Theatre where it was still with a G.

Ta!

Quote from: Rick O Shea on January 19, 2011, 06:28:54 PMHas anyone seen the the programme "the greatest F ing Show on Earth". It's from the excellent Channel 4 series Without Walls and is about swearing on television, it's presented by Sadowitz. Has it ever appeared online?

It was on a well-known UK torreNt site a couple of years ago, if you're a member there you could ask for a reseed.  If not, it's probably banging around the net somewhere.

Head Gardener

I have not seen Jerry since Glastonbury in the 90's and he was brilliant
and tonights the first chance I have had to see him since then but...
I have front row tickets, someone warned me this might not actually be such a good thing!

Queneau

I look forward to hearing about how he fists you or whatever.

Head Gardener

I planned on taking my camera & taking footage of him on stage (secretly of course)
but my wife found out about the idea and had kittens! So will probably be reduced
to taking a few pics - will post the results of my beating here soon ;)

Steven

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 20, 2011, 12:32:28 PM
I planned on taking my camera & taking footage of him on stage (secretly of course)
but my wife found out about the idea and had kittens! So will probably be reduced
to taking a few pics - will post the results of my beating here soon ;)

This should work out great now that you've admitted it on the internet and given him your seat number. Knowing how meticulous Jerry is at looking up everything about himself on the net I'd wager you're fucked - but still try and film it anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the shots of your colon. (For medical education purposes of course.)