Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 O'Clock Live

Started by TIAL, January 20, 2011, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

In the comments, the writer wrote (before the update at the end):

QuoteProbably should point out that my "farewell" only refers to the end of the series. Haven't heard back yet from C4 on whether it will be recommissioned - will update the post if/when I do.

Rather sloppy really. Also, one commenter was very correct to pull her up about the remark about Endemol's finances/debt - hardly a secret and something I would have expected a media hack to know.

Little Hoover

I think we'll get a 2nd series with a revamped format. They invested a lot into the series so I don't think they'll want to give up on it so easily.

Lyndon

That article reads like a bad post  from on here. "instavitriol from the hivemind". Stop combining the word instant with other words to sound cutting.

Obel

Quote from: Little Hoover on May 05, 2011, 04:55:38 PM
I think we'll get a 2nd series with a revamped format. They invested a lot into the series so I don't think they'll want to give up on it so easily.

Here's hoping.

It's easy to be blinkered by posting on CaB because everyone here has a relatively similar sense of humour, which is also true for anybody I know who is interested in comedy, but the usual complaints here about the show are echoed by virtually everyone I know... So who is it that Channel 4 are listening to? Is it your "typical" student fans like the ones in the audience? The ones who applaud at anything?

Also, would you say that Channel 4 should listen to us and our complaints? The reason I ask is because we all like Chris Morris right? He's the dude who does his own thing and ignores what people would want him to do. Is that the perspective the makers of 10 O'Clock Live have? Is that right or should they be bowing to what the fans want?

Maybe that is what they're doing, but they're just listening to the stupid majority.

Little Hoover

I think the problem is it's is such a producer driven entity. There's no unique personality behind it like with Morris' work. The reason it's been made is because Channel 4 suddenly realized there might be money to be made in the "intelligent, left-wing" market.

Obel

This is something I often wonder with the Daily Show and Colbert Report... The greatness of the shows are usually attributed to the hosts, although it's not really their thing as such, Daily Show was before Jon Stewart for example. They have loads of writers behind them... I'm going to swerve from what I was going to say now because I just read that the aforementioned shows hosts are also exec producers so they have say in what happens. 

Would this benefit 10 O'Clock Live do you think? If the hosts were producers I mean? I can't see Jimmy Carr giving too much of a shit, probably not Laverne either but I'm sure Mitchell and Brooker would prefer to have some say seeing as they're usually making snide comments about pointless applause and cutting segments off for advertising.

There are a lot of producers on 10 O'Clock live, which doesn't surprise me. It must be focus grouped to death.

Jemble Fred

Well it's a Zeppotron show, so Charlie Brooker is already pulling the strings.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think it needs to be one of those shows that is on not just for a series run, but most weeks of the year and has maybe a dozen or so hosts who alternate. That way it picks up a following through habit- the security of knowing it's always on, and a bit of interest through not knowing who is going to be on.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Friday Night Armistice - Episode 3

It's a different show. It's not live but there are some interesting differences between the two.

* It's far more light hearted and doesn't earnestly try to tackle every serious issue with a 'fight the power' rally.
* The cast interact far better than 10OCL and seem more comfortable.
* Does the show need to be live at all or is that a gimmick to generate more interest from internet fads like twitter?
* The pace of the show is better. Less of a sense of panic to finish sketches in time. Adverts seemed to rule 10OCL.
* The person leading the show is confident an adept at comic performing.
* It's far more creative in how it choses to lampoon/highlight issues.