Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No Known Cure show for download on http://chilled.cream.org

Started by Neil, February 13, 2011, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I see there's a full No Known Cure show up on http://chilled.cream.org which has been restored from the tapes of Rob Baker. 

weirdbeard

Hooray!  God, this has taken some time hasn't it, I'm almost scared to look at the date on those notes I made.   Nice to hear it again, anyway.  I can't get enough of Morris' interaction with the kind of people who'd call into their local radio station at 11pm on a Friday night, brilliant.  This is the one with my all time favourite Feedback Report as well, you know when you hear Morris laughing at the end of it that it's a good 'un.

Thanks Neil.

Neil

Yes, dreadful delay, due to a million factors, not just my procrastinating, obsessive perfectionist nature.  For starters, these forums can take a ridiculous amount of time to look after.  I got a laptop for Xmas, which speeds the repitching of tapes up, but at the maximum quality settings I use, it still takes 24 hours to process each segment.  So these have been worked on, on and off, for years now.  But I've got a much better set-up, and am enjoying spending more time working on the site these days.  I want to go back and redo the old GLR tapes I have as well, so if anyone has a tape deck they can donate to the site, please...  The one I was using had a candle sitting on top of it.

Yes, great show, this one.  Intrigued to hear what people make of it.  I do particularly love the idents, and his usage of drops.  Will say no more, for now, for fear of spoiling it.

Thanks again for all your help with these, weirdbeard.

eluc55

Listening to this at the moment. Thought this was exchange was very funny:

"Have you got a pace maker?"
"No. I-I've got a wife, but I think she's asleep."
"Good lord... what a funny thing to say."

Always love hearing these shows; not as funny as his later radio work in my opinion, but its great just hearing him thinking on his feet, so naturally confident and quick witted, brilliant turns of phrase just falling out of him all the shop. His sheer contempt for wacky callers is funny in itself: "I was going to ask if it hurt when you dialled" being a great example of Morris being funnier and more shocking than his caller, without making it so painfully obvious.

Good music, too. Not sure how much choice he got over it, but I always like hearing these all the way through without skipping the music. Nice hearing him enthuse over some of it, and take digs at others. Wonder what comics he read/s? Viz?   

eluc55

Wrote all that and forgot to add the thing I was originally posting about.

Thanks Neil and anyone else involved (weirdbeard and Rob Baker?)

Quote from: eluc55 on February 19, 2011, 06:01:28 PMI always like hearing these all the way through without skipping the music

I, on the other hand, would appreciate a version without the music. I'm just not that into music... especially 'new' music. Philistine, I know. In general, I prefer the 'podcast' versions of radio shows, with just talk. I just like Talk radio more. Probably why I prefer Neil's CaB Radio shows. Lots of chat and Skypes.

eluc55

I actually agree in general; although that said, the R1 shows are just right in my view (and probably the best thing Morris ever did), with an emphasis on talk, but using the music to power it along, sketches and chat blending into songs that complement them, and make the atmosphere feel tangibly exhilarating... In fact, by Blue Jam, the music's become so important that its as much a part of the show as the comedy.

With No Known Cure, I think I just like hearing Morris' tastes, and most importantly, creating that feeling that I'm listening to it going out live, music and all.

TIAL

DocDaneeka

Is that Sgt Murphy Ramsbottom in the third Feedback Report? It sounds a lot like him, he's great as usual.