Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Some recommendations for y'all

Started by blue jammer, February 02, 2004, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue jammer

To refresh, I've got a few together that I posted elsewhere...

--

:: Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place ::

Berliner Ulrich Schnauss made a splash in 2001 with his 'Far Away Trains Passing By' album. Since then he's got the thumbs up from Tom Middleton, Chris Coco, and Rob Da Bank. The Big Chill's Pete Lawrence has even gone as far as describing him as "one of the most talented producers in the world at the moment." Praise indeed. And it's not without foundation. 'A Strangely Isolated Place' is rolling, unfolding electronics with a huge emotive heart that reaches outwards. It's an epic foray into the emotional impact that electronic music can have when it places motoring beats, melodicism, and a deceptive brand of simplicity at it's core. Don't call it house, or techno or even electronica for that matter. Ulrich draws from various beatwise genres, then adds a little indie sus, euphoria, and something strangely magical. Heartwarming just ain't a big enough word for this ascending, lush whirlpool of sound and syncopated propulsion.

--

:: Hint - Portakabin Fever ::

(from the press release)

Hint is a man who walks to beat of his own drum. Literally though, he doesn't walk very far, because he makes his music in a Portakabin you see, which is quite small, so he just kind of paces up and down a lot. Musically though, he is far from confined to such a small space, as he makes the sounds of what he sees when he looks out the window. These are the sounds of the rural English countryside, dragged inside the Portakabin, and subjected to hip hop, funk, electronica, folk, post rock and soul.
These are simple pleasures. These are the sounds of ruralbeat.
These are the sounds of Hint's debut album.

After a couple of releases on Deep Water Recordings Hint moved to Bristol based Hombre Records early 2002, who, via their collaboration with Ninja Tune, have released four Hint EPs over the last year. These releases have seen our boy Hint compared to a startling array of artists from Lemon Jelly and Penguin Café Orchestra, to The Beach Boys meets The Beta Band.

Constructed over the space of a year 'Portakabin Fever' was made on the barest of studio set ups, with Hint's trusty MPC joined by his own musical talents on guitar, bass, and keyboards. Melody, heart, soul, humour and a little bit of magic are the currency in Hint's world, where eleven tracks of pastoral atmospheres and beguiling electronica are the order of the day.

Don't be fooled by the still waters of gentle melody though. The man clearly has an ear for a tune, but look a little closer and you'll see that Hint has many intricacies and deeper tides of broken beats and fascinating rhythm.

--

Backini have an album 'Threads' which I want you all to go and listen to, download/buy it.

I got mine through this morning and thanks to next door waking me up (the gits) I've just listened to it from start to finish, and found it one of the most pleasant and clever albums I've heard in years.

Backini (Rob Quickenden) - great interview here is an audio thief, a crate digger, a buyer of junk and all things cheap, nasty and old, throw-away records are his goldmine, his main source of sounds, jazz and easy listening - "the more stupid or crap the cover looks, the better the sampling opportunities."

Amazing, really I'm not just saying that for effect, and have to say I *love* track 4 - Istanbul, the feelings this brings, ohhhh so much warmth, very clever and slick. The beats are clean and crisp, the production is superb, the sounds all layer and complement each other, and his use of the many jazz samples works ever so well.

Highly recommended.

[You might like this if you like Lemon Jelly / Osymyso / DJ Shadow / Avalanches / Most on Ninja Tune]

You might see Rob in a charity shop near you, not looking at the hats though, he'd be in the corner sniffing out a load of old tat :)

blue jammer

Bluetech - Prima Materia

Stunning throughout, and features on track 1 (Leaving Babylon) that speech thing that Cylob used on one of their tracks, where you can make the vocoder/speech prog actually sing!

Electronica beautifully crafted, just how it should be.

--

CARI LEKEBUSCH - THE ARCHITECT

QuoteNew LP/CD and 12"/CD single by Cari Lekebusch on TrueSoul Records. To be released spring 2004. Featuring special guest´s MC Aaron and Krister

This is superb, it's a different direction for Cari, as his usual style is a lot faster, darker and harder, techno. This has more of a groove and is a fuller sounding beast, production skills have vastly improved.

Go go Cari...

mwude

Quote from: "blue jammer"You might like this if you like Lemon Jelly / Osymyso / DJ Shadow / Avalanches / Most on Ninja Tune

e.g. mwude - buy this album.

but on a sadder note - bah! and balls! and shitty tits! and cuntybuttfuck!  I was always planning once I had the means to afford broadband & a great big hard drive, or a shed load of wedge to splash on exotic vinyl and costly discs to root through this thread (the old one) and pick off all the best items.  Now the thread is gone.  forever.  & I for one am sad.

splattermac

I think you can read it on the archived CAB board mwude but I've not really investigated it.

- -

My last post on the subject vanished in a puff of corrupt data, so here it is again

Mice Parade - Obrigado Saudade
(as far as I know not a splinter group of Harry Hill's Badger Parade) It's pretty much acoustic, apart from a couple of tracks where an odd little bjorky imp voice appears and the other where he sings in a lo-fi style, just tumbling the words out, heartfelt and delicate layers, like a good broth.
track rightclicksavetargetas

Isan - meet next life
gentle thoughtful electronica, tinges of BOC and Ulrich Schnauss,

diplo - epistemology
lo-fi earthy hiphop/breaks from ninja tunes sister label Big Dada, worth checking out if you like DJ Shadow/Unkle, mainly instrumental

Bumblebeez www.thebumblebeez.com
Red Printz and White Printz EPs
:) I like these Aussies, a jumble of raw aural scuffs, they pull the hair of the beastie boys, beck, peaches, atari teenage riot and there's even a ripped off pixies riff in one.

The another fine mess compilations, Fila Brazilla and FC Kahuna, nice

mwude

Quote from: "splattermac"I think you can read it on the archived CAB board mwude but I've not really investigated it.

Where is this thing of which you speak?

splattermac

bugger, there's the old archive http://chilled.cream.org/vw/index.php

I thought the thread was started by blue jammer but I know think it was funkentechly and he's been wiped so his threads don't appear.

soz like, getting your hopes up and all

Jet Set Willy

I love you splattermak

I will go and listen to all these.

I love Backini exceppt for that three blind mice shizzle.

axel

Bit of a different 'tip' but for Yank indie i'm currently bopping to:
Best of Guided By Voices: Human Amusements At Hourly Rates. Cracking.

Vermschneid Mehearties

The Plaque Goblin

The Phantom Limbs

I reckon this band is rather Cardiacsesque.

8 full tracks can be downloaded from here:

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php?band=phantomlimbs

axel

Anyone heard the Franz Ferdinand album yet? Just wondering if its worth buying.

axel

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "axel"Anyone heard the Franz Ferdinand album yet? Just wondering if its worth buying.

have a look here....
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=309

splattermac

I thought the Franzi album was average, horrible word that, being a very average person myself I know how cruel a word it is.

I thought they had me with their catchy pop hook of Take me out and Shopping for Blood (not on the album) but it appears I'm a dirty old pike and I pulled free, don't be offended, but the way some of the press are going on you'd think they were the saviours of something or other, bloody good pop song though and I hope to get to dance to it one day soon.

Money is better spent on Dear Catastrophe Waitress by Belle and Sebastian, great pop and gets better with each listen, four times yesterday for me and I'm not even from Narnia

The Plaque Goblin

My new favourite band is The Fatal Flying Guillotines. They, as they say, RAWK quite a bit.

A bit of a bio is here along with two tracks from their first album 'The Now Hustle For New Diaboliks' (2001):
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/fatalflyingguilloteens.html

The two tracks on their record label's site are from their second album from last year called 'Get Knifed':
http://www.estrus.com/sounds/sounds.html

Lots of other good tracks there too I think, particularly The Immortal Lee County Killers II, Federation X, The Mistreaters and The Von Zippers.

chand

Potential album of the year for me would be the new cLOUDDEAD record, 'Ten', which is out on Big Dada next month. Avant hip-hop, bit of electronica, you know the drill if you follow the Anticon shit.

An mp3:
cLOUDDEAD - 'Rifle Eyes'

splattermac

I think you are a bit more down with the kids than me Chand, I don't know what to make of the cLOUDDEAD album but it will get another listen.

I just wanted to bump this for anyone who likes the output from manc record label Melodic, they did a nice compilation a while ago called 'a room full of tuneful' which was a sort of folktronica thing, and very nice it was too, well they have just released another compilation called 'Tracks for horses' it's another similar thing, folky, stringy, bleepy, a spot of hiphop, some turntablism funk, disjointed sample driven pieces, tonal instrumentals, discofunk

more

audiowhore – 'it's good but it's not right' is the only track that popped me out of the groove, it features as the title suggests Roy 'Catchphrase' Walker samples and evil distortion and aphex-like jungle piss taking, pretty shite really, picked a pig on that one.

that's about it.

El Unicornio, mang

Dunno if they've been mentioned here before, but I saw a band called Metric play live the other night, supporting Brit indie-rockers South. They were very good live, kind of punky pop-rock with electronic sounds, the female lead singer has a lot of energy and charisma. Not quite as good on record, but worth checking out the first album "Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" and the EP "Static Anonymity".

Vermschneid Mehearties

http://www.beltane.electronmusic.de

This band (Beltane) have come highly recommended. I'm just about to have a listen.

Panodil Tabletter

Apologies in advance, this doesn't really fit in this thread but I thought it might be of interest to y'all.

Here are some video streams of Montreux Festival performances of some pretty class artists. Enjoy!

http://www.montreuxjazz.com/2003/e/Videos/default.htm

splattermac

nice one, I went straight for Yo Le Tengo but I can see at least 5 others I fancy checking out

edit: bugger, stream crashed out after 41 minutes, I'm having second thoughts about seeing them live, as much as I love their stuff their live singing is feeble, I'll have to go say a few hail Marys now I've blasphemed.

nice, dancey types might want to check out the Laurent Garnier mix :)

Canavaro

As a newby, my opinion is officially not worth the salt it's written on

But the best new records I've heard recently are:

The Decemberists - Her Majesty (jangly indie style pop, think of NMH with a touch of B&S)

cLOUDDEAD - Ten  (kicks the debut's arse.  So many great tracks on here.  This IS the future of hip-hop, and I like the way it's going)

Bonnie Prince Billy - Sings Greatest Palace Music (I'm a big Oldham fan via "Billy", so it was good to hear his own take on previous songs.  Scathing lyrics, coated in a voice that can melt glaciers)

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles (Knife Play was critically lauded, but this is much better.  I Luv the Valley OH is one of the songs of the year)

chand

Quote from: "splattermac"I just wanted to bump this for anyone who likes the output from manc record label Melodic, they did a nice compilation a while ago called 'a room full of tuneful' which was a sort of folktronica thing, and very nice it was too, well they have just released another compilation called 'Tracks for horses' it's another similar thing, folky, stringy, bleepy, a spot of hiphop, some turntablism funk, disjointed sample driven pieces, tonal instrumentals, discofunk

I liked the first comp a lot, haven't got round to Tracks For Horses yet, but yeah, that's a nice label. Pedro's album from last year and the Minotaur Shock stuff is lovely. Actually, same goes for the Lucky Pierre record. The frustrating thing about 'A Room Full Of Tuneful' was that many of the artists on it didn't seem to have any other stuff you could get, save those three and Tex La Homa, whose album 'Dazzle me With Transience' was out on a different label, and was quite pretty indeed.

axel

Not really musical, but this is a stunning listen:

The anger and violence described within is pretty shocking, and it gives a great insight into the history of the USA.

splattermac

On the old boards I mentioned the first album from
Corker Conboy In the light of things we learned (2002),
well they have an even nicer one out,
Radiant Idiot (2004)
oo baby. So if you liked the first one check out the second, if you like post rock(?), Can, Yo le Tengo, godspeed, either of those, then you can appreciate driving and grooving non vocal guitar tracks.

falafel

Simply gots to reccomend Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher before this thread drops out of site. It's Geogaddi's instrumental funky hip-hop evil twin. Impossible not to love.

splattermac

edit: it wasn't that good after a while

+ didn't some of you want the much hyped GREY ALBUM?

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/8167.html

mr rou-rou

I'm cross-pollinating threads, but to repeat,

the 6th album from Blonde Redhead, shit name I know,

lovely album, had it on repeat on repeat on repeat - like love loath, the decision is yours

to listen to it all, just click here Blonde Redhead - Misery is a butterfly

If you just fancy skipping it, then my faves would be track 1,2, 4 & 11

it's a grower

Panodil Tabletter

Playing in my town tomorrow, the fantastically named Danish beatsmith DJ Wank

Some proper recommendations though, an album I found reviewed recently on //www.absorb.org is Mochipet - Combat and contains a most delightful Johnny Cash mix.

Also Robert Wyatt's Cuckooland is fucking gorgeous especially his little cover of Raining In My Heart.

mr rou-rou

fuck me Charlie I love the Dutch more and more with each passing day, are there any Dutch people on the boards I can adopt, or at least meet for a cuddle?

Phoenix again, this time, in "LISTEN TO THE WHOLE **NEW** ALBUM" format

click on the image to be transported to a world of magical frenchmen

I know it's no 'United' (their debut album) but it still has a certain French charm and some other fans might do a little dance at seeing this, they have been absent for 4 years

feel free to cuss and slag it off, I DON'T CARE - hahahahaahah

god I love this site http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/index.jsp thanks VPRO :))