Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dwarf X

Started by variant, September 07, 2011, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

variant

Quote from: GigwiseCraig Charles has been speaking about the imminent return of sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf.

Co-creator Doug Naylor confirmed plans for a new series of the show earlier this year, with Charles previously saying that he would take a three month break from Coronation Street to shoot it at the end of this year.

Speaking on This Morning, Charles said: "It is exciting. The last series was 1998 - and we started it in '87... but I'll be back in the leathers, back in the dreadlocks. Everyone is back on board and they are building the sets now at Shepperton.

"It's going to be like the old days, we are going to rehearse, and record it in front of a live studio audience. Everyone's older, but I could still fit in the costumes!"

He continued: "We all really wanted to do it... the only problem was trying to get some time off Coronation Street, but they've been really good to me and given me the time off. It would've been terrible if they went off to do it without me!"

Red Dwarf ran for nine series, with the cult show featuring Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn.

Red Dwarf X will air sometime in 2012.

Is this old news? I take it that its going to be on Dave?

Consignia

Nine series? The crappy specials are now a series are they?

Would it be unfair to write this off from the get go?

The Roofdog

It's news that's come around about every 3 months since 1998 isn't it? The frequency with which Robert Llewellyn tweets about a new series of Red Dwarf is directly proportional to the logarithm of the probability of it actually happening. Approx.

Jemble Fred

Live audiences – thank fuck! I bet getting hold of tickets for that will be tougher than any Olympic event. I'm up for it though.

Famous Mortimer

I think as soon as they announce them going on offer I'll give it a try, be nice to see em all no matter how bad the specials (and the last two/three series) were.

Duckula

Is Lovett on board this time?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Duckula on September 07, 2011, 09:50:40 AM
Is Lovett on board this time?

I think he eventually fucked them all off through the amount of times they'd messed him around. The last comments I read by him he seemed really publically pissed off with them.

thr0b

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 07, 2011, 10:09:58 AM
I think he eventually fucked them all off through the amount of times they'd messed him around. The last comments I read by him he seemed really publically pissed off with them.

From what I've read, it was more that he was told that they might need him for the specials, budget/plot depending. And then the budget was low, and the Holly character superfluous to the story, so he wasn't needed. For which he got into a bit of a hissy fit, has decided he hates everyone involved and has said several times that he will never work with them again.

Hopefully this means a return for Hattie Hayridge, who has perhaps more reason to be pissy, what with being dropped from the show in series 6 and then replaced by Norman (who quit in the first place) in series 8. But has not been pissy at all.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Consignia on September 07, 2011, 09:14:40 AM
Nine series? The crappy specials are now a series are they?

Would it be unfair to write this off from the get go?

I think I recall someone saying in an interview that they were going to go along with the plot of 'Back to Earth', where series 9 had already aired, and it involved Kochanski leaving (thank christ), and skip straight to series 10.

But yeah, I'd say it was to be expected to approach this one with a huge degree of pessimism. The specials were so appalling, it made me a little bit sad to see Lister as a middle-aged man still playing pranks on his bunkmate. Ignoring everything that made the specials so bad (tone felt so very awkward, plot idea was too crazy, weird Blade Runner thing, and that little speccy kid can fuck right off), it's still going to be incredibly odd and slightly depressing to watch a series of Red Dwarf where they're all really getting on in life, and yet Lister is still like a teenager.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 07, 2011, 02:50:34 PM
The specials were so appalling, it made me a little bit sad to see Lister as a middle-aged man still playing pranks on his bunkmate.
This is it, and I've sadly not got much faith in them to do something different / interesting with the characters.

Hollow

I have no hope at all that this will be any better than the last three series of the proper BBC series.

Never mind that excrement that Dave shat out two years ago.

It hasn't been any good since the funny one left the writers anyway.

I accept the terms of the

It took me ages to realise that I didn't like Red Dwarf. I thought I was a fan who "liked series 1 best". It turns out that this is because I didn't want what Red Dwarf became, I just wanted a sparse, dialogue-based bleak comedy. Aliens and adventures indeed.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on September 07, 2011, 03:37:30 PM
Aliens and adventures indeed.

Aliens have never existed in the Red Dwarf universe. For what it's worth.

thr0b

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 07, 2011, 02:50:34 PM
I think I recall someone saying in an interview that they were going to go along with the plot of 'Back to Earth', where series 9 had already aired, and it involved Kochanski leaving (thank christ), and skip straight to series 10.

But yeah, I'd say it was to be expected to approach this one with a huge degree of pessimism. The specials were so appalling, it made me a little bit sad to see Lister as a middle-aged man still playing pranks on his bunkmate. Ignoring everything that made the specials so bad (tone felt so very awkward, plot idea was too crazy, weird Blade Runner thing, and that little speccy kid can fuck right off), it's still going to be incredibly odd and slightly depressing to watch a series of Red Dwarf where they're all really getting on in life, and yet Lister is still like a teenager.

Isn't that part of the inherent bleakness of the concept though? Lister isn't really going to grow more mature, as there's little to make him do so. There's no society for him to fit into, no social norms anymore, it's just him, the Cat and a hologram. Forever.

On Dave's budget, I rather suspect it's going to be something of a move back to the earlier format of things happening mainly on Red Dwarf, rather than planetoids and the like, with just the main cast and the odd guest star.

Skip Bittman

That'd be a great idea but it's probably more likely they'll go with garish cheap CGI all over the place to "do all the things we wanted to do with Red Dwarf from the start but were constrained by the primitive technology and that absolutely beautiful handmade model shot on film."

Key

Without wanting to add to the deluge of negativity that is this thread, I wonder which solo Doug Dwarf we'll be getting then? The self-consciously epic sci-fi of series 7 and BtE which while a little light on jokes, had some great emotional moments and for the most part engrossing stories, or the series 8 style goofy panto with the crew lurching wildly in and out of character and cock gags a-plenty. I'm hoping for the former but the studio audience may suggest otherwise.

Jemble Fred

If it's even vaguely like Red Dwarf fucking VII, I'll finish off the job the despair squid only started. The live audience is the one thing this announcement has got going for it.

Old Nehamkin

As many problems as the specials had, and there were lots, I find them hard to hate in comparison to series 7 and 8 because it did seem like a genuine attempt to return to the spirit of series 3/4/5, even pretty much ignoring the events of the last couple of series. It had a good-natured sort of feel to it and the cast seemed to be enjoying themselves. It may have been very light on laughs but it did (in the main) provoke far fewer "Oh fuck off" moments than it has in a while (and to be fair, from what I understand it was commissioned, written and produced in a very short period of time). The return of the studio audience is a definite step in the right direction, it's just a shame that Doug Naylor, as a solo writer, is seemingly incapable of writing a decently funny comedy script. They need to get Rob Grant back or someone else, just as long as it's not just him writing these.

Key

I dont think Rob Grant is too much interested in writing for TV anymore these days. Naylor had a co-writer on series 7 and 8 whose CV includes My Hero, Green Green Grass, late 90s Denise Van Outen sitcom Babes In The Wood and several S Club 7 TV movies.

DJ One Record

Quote from: Key on September 07, 2011, 06:21:13 PM
I dont think Rob Grant is too much interested in writing for TV anymore these days. Naylor had a co-writer on series 7 and 8 whose CV includes My Hero, Green Green Grass, late 90s Denise Van Outen sitcom Babes In The Wood and several S Club 7 TV movies.

And another co-writer in 7 who wrote the Spiceworld movie.

small_world

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on September 07, 2011, 03:37:30 PM
It took me ages to realise that I didn't like Red Dwarf. I thought I was a fan who "liked series 1 best". It turns out that this is because I didn't want what Red Dwarf became, I just wanted a sparse, dialogue-based bleak comedy. Aliens and adventures indeed.

I don't want to acknowledge this, but I think it's true for me too. I love series 1 and 2... But it's just a bit shite toward 5 and onwards.. Some really good stuff in those first few series.

Although I do enjoy the sci-fi plots of some of the other series. Stuff like the virtual world, and the galaxy snooker stuff...

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 07, 2011, 03:46:57 PM
Aliens have never existed in the Red Dwarf universe. For what it's worth.
Oi. Gelfs, simulants, Despair Squid, Legion, Psirens, polymorphs.

I don't care if they're evolved from or made by humans. If the person watching misses the line about their origin then they would think they were aliens, despite any technicalities!

kitsofan34

Quote from: thr0b on September 07, 2011, 11:25:52 AM
From what I've read, it was more that he was told that they might need him for the specials, budget/plot depending. And then the budget was low, and the Holly character superfluous to the story, so he wasn't needed. For which he got into a bit of a hissy fit, has decided he hates everyone involved and has said several times that he will never work with them again.

Wasn't it more to do with the fact that when the writers found out they didn't have enough budget for him, they didn't even bother letting him know?

biggytitbo

Norman Lovett is a bit of a tosser though isn't he? I'd imagine thy all hate him and that's why he's not involved.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on September 07, 2011, 09:26:13 PM
Oi. Gelfs, simulants, Despair Squid, Legion, Psirens, polymorphs.

I don't care if they're evolved from or made by humans. If the person watching misses the line about their origin then they would think they were aliens, despite any technicalities!

And what about the 'Quagaars' innit?

Big Jack McBastard

Provided they don't jump straight back on the Dwane Dibley/Ace Rimmer shit-slide I'll very likely watch it all despite the fact that they should just let it die.

#Sigh#

It's too late to make it better isn't it? It's an ill dog which has shat in our living rooms a couple too many times for a sudden miraculous recovery.

thr0b

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 07, 2011, 10:09:44 PM
Wasn't it more to do with the fact that when the writers found out they didn't have enough budget for him, they didn't even bother letting him know?

I suspect the truth is somewhere between the two versions.

BritishHobo

Quote from: thr0b on September 07, 2011, 05:13:49 PM
Isn't that part of the inherent bleakness of the concept though? Lister isn't really going to grow more mature, as there's little to make him do so. There's no society for him to fit into, no social norms anymore, it's just him, the Cat and a hologram. Forever.

On Dave's budget, I rather suspect it's going to be something of a move back to the earlier format of things happening mainly on Red Dwarf, rather than planetoids and the like, with just the main cast and the odd guest star.

Well aye, I loved that bleakness, but it still allowed for comedy, Lister still being a twenty-something slob, and Rimmer, despite being dead, still being a desperately hardworking overachiever. Never did like Kryten much (suppose that's why I mostly prefer series 1&2, when it was just the three of them and Holly slouching about) but Cat was an... interesting addition. But now it's just a couple of middle-aged men sharing a bunkbed and bickering, with a comedy robot and another 'man' pushing forty who's obsessed with fashion. It's less sad bleak, and more sad pathetic, than anything

If it was going to be any good it would address that. The troubles of middle-aged men living in isolation for so long. It would be bleak, it would have great dialogue. It would echo Waiting for Godot.

But it won't be good. It will be self-referential, wacky, unaware of problems with the format and just generally shit.

And the CGI will look shit, just like all Red Dwarf CGI. God, ships in space is one thing that you can actually do convincingly with computer graphics, but nooooooo.

The Roofdog

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 07, 2011, 10:09:44 PM

What, they couldn't afford a black polo neck for him?