Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC cancel Shooting Stars

Started by Paul Twist, November 15, 2011, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fly

Hmm, perhaps an annual Christmas special filled with new one-off ideas might have been the way to go to avoid the inevitable repetition?

Anyway, "voiceover man" Peter Dickson has this to say on the matter:

QuoteSpoke to Vic Reeves last night re Shooting Stars. It hasn't er... gone away completely. Watch this space.

http://twitter.com/#!/peterdickson/status/136737320341745664

Make of that what you will.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Christmas episode? Red Nose Day Episode? Shooting Cans Of Aussie Lager?

Subtle Mocking

Worst case scenario, it could return on Sky One.

Famous Mortimer

I'm sure that "hoorah" for the demise of this show is the wrong sentiment, as the chances of them getting money to produce anything else on the back of those ratings is fairly small. I think we've already seen their best work.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 16, 2011, 03:07:27 PM
Christmas episode? Red Nose Day Episode? Shooting Cans Of Aussie Lager?

I reckon a live tour

I'm surprised Dave hasn't picked this up, like they've done with Red Dwarf. Must be cheaper to make than RD, after all.

Quote from: The Fly on November 16, 2011, 02:42:22 PM
Hmm, perhaps an annual Christmas special filled with new one-off ideas might have been the way to go to avoid the inevitable repetition?

Anyway, "voiceover man" Peter Dickson has this to say on the matter:

http://twitter.com/#!/peterdickson/status/136737320341745664

Make of that what you will.

it's getting a Hollywood, 'origins' reboot.

Jake Thingray

As I've previously opined, it's good that they're not fashionable any more. Trendy critics in the early 90's referring to them as "SAS-trained comic anarchists" and treating them like rock stars was not only irritating, but misplaced. What they do is pleasantly silly, old-fashioned, very Northern pratting around.

Spiteface

Charlie Higson hit the nail on the head on the Omnibus doc about them years ago. At the root of it all, underneath the insanity they're really just a proper old-fashioned british double act.

I'm disappointed Shooting Stars is gone as I loved the last few series, but if this means Vic & Bob do something new, I'll be interested.

Give Angelos his own series though.

Neil

Quote from: madhair60 on November 15, 2011, 09:41:45 PM
I know that this may not have been your intention but I do still dislike the implication that enjoyment/acceptance of Shooting Stars is somehow indicative of complacency or low standards, or a disinterest in comedic diversity.

Entirely in your head, though.  What I said was, and I quote: "Hooray!"

Chriddof

Weirdly enough, this has just been posted on the BBC Comedy Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e585SRgCNxI

(I don't know how to embed stuff here, sorry)

madhair60

Quote from: Neil on November 16, 2011, 10:12:56 PM
Entirely in your head, though.  What I said was, and I quote: "Hooray!"

Based on what you've said about it before I guess it seems that your (not exactly unfounded) criticisms of R&M's alleged complacency seem to extend to criticism of those who are content to see more of Shooting Stars.  But it's possible - and likely - that I'm misremembering your posts from before, Lawd knows I'm not gonna hunt through your post history for 'em.

I just figure that when you say "hooray", I'd try and figure out why you said hooray.  I assume you're gonna expand on it anyway.

Neil

Quote from: madhair60 on November 16, 2011, 11:14:14 PM
Based on what you've said about it before I guess it seems that your (not exactly unfounded) criticisms of R&M's alleged complacency seem to extend to criticism of those who are content to see more of Shooting Stars. 

No, it doesn't.  Stop being so bloody defensive.

Rev

Thing is, they stated that they'd much rather be doing something new a couple of series back, but Shooting Stars was all they've been able to get commissioned.  'Hooray' in that sense sounds like you're cheering the death of their career.

I really liked the last couple of series, because they seemed to approach it as if it was their last shot.  Most of the old stuff was ditched, the regular panellists were present but all but cut out of the broadcast version, and it became a skeleton that they stapled something approximating a sketch show onto.  I liked it because it was Vic & Bob on telly in the only vehicle they could get, and they were bending the structure of it as much as they could.  Now?  That seriously is it for them.  Nineties act.  It's all over.

Neil

Quote from: Rev on November 17, 2011, 12:25:58 AM
'Hooray' in that sense sounds like you're cheering the death of their career

Really.  Well, I'm stunned at all the things I apparently meant when I said "Hooray!"

Rev

Well, it was one word, and nobody's stopping you from expanding on it.  But it was one word on top of the feeling you expressed a while back that Shooting Stars was laziness, and their well-known difficulty in getting another TV gig.

olliebean

Shooting Stars wasn't laziness. Those sketches they did for Fosters, those were laziness.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Spiteface on November 16, 2011, 09:44:26 PM
Give Angelos his own series though.

He's got one. Starts next year on Channel 4.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 17, 2011, 12:37:46 PM
He's got one. Starts next year on Channel 4.

And made by Reeves and Mortimer's production company.

madhair60

Quote from: Rev on November 17, 2011, 12:53:00 AM
Well, it was one word, and nobody's stopping you from expanding on it.  But it was one word on top of the feeling you expressed a while back that Shooting Stars was laziness, and their well-known difficulty in getting another TV gig.

This, really.  It's not unreasonable or particularly defensive/confrontational to try and reconcile what you meant by the "hooray", based on what you've expressed before, Neil.  At least, that wasn't my intention. 

Edit: I'm interested in where folks think this will take Vic and Bob.

Rev

Quote from: madhair60 on November 17, 2011, 07:54:53 PM
I'm interested in where folks think this will take Vic and Bob.

I don't want to keep being the bringer of piss, but I really do think this is the end of them as a double act, albeit with a bit of business left to wrap up.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bob directing some new sitcom or other in a year or so, but Vic's more of a worry.  Has he done a 'who do you think you are' yet?  That'd hold him over.

The Children in Need thing will be essential viewing, anyway.  They always go down like a lead turkey on these things, and really, they could have been excused for pulling out were it not for charity.  You're sacked!  You'll still be in next week, though?  There's no dignified way to tell them to shove it up their arses, so this could be interesting.

Quote from: olliebean on November 17, 2011, 10:21:10 AM
Shooting Stars wasn't laziness. Those sketches they did for Fosters, those were laziness.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread.

If they really wanted a new sketch-show commissioned, those Fosters shorts should have been the perfect springboard. But so little thought or effort was put into them, they probably had the opposite effect; disappointing to fans, alienating to people not familiar with their work.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Rev on November 18, 2011, 03:41:54 AM
I don't want to keep being the bringer of piss, but I really do think this is the end of them as a double act, albeit with a bit of business left to wrap up.

This seems to suggest a total misunderstanding of Vic and Bob as men, as performers, and as friends. Only death or extremely advanced arthritis will stop them making comedy together. They share an office and a production company, and can still do pretty much whatever they want on their own terms. And of course, they're best friends. The idea that Shooting Stars was all they had holding them together is just mind-blowingly wrong.

bitesize

Jemble Fred

Well they've always done loads of projects apart in the past, but the fact remains – they share an office and have a business partnership as well as a uniquely close personal one, closer than even Morecambe & Wise, so I see no meaningful evidence to suggest that they will ever completely dissolve their partnership. For that to happen, I'm convinced that one of them would have to die or officially retire, Barker-style. It's not in their makeup as a double act to actually 'split'.

bitesize

oh yeah, i agree. that post wasn't supposed to be a reply to yours to try + prove you wrong, just some news on Vic's next ting.

just surprised not to see Bob involved at all when there are a number of other collaborators, is all.

Rev

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 18, 2011, 09:36:19 AM
The idea that Shooting Stars was all they had holding them together is just mind-blowingly wrong.

And it wasn't what I was saying.  There's a difference between an off-screen partnership and an on-screen double act.  Shooting Stars wasn't all that was holding them together, but as Bob has been vocal about in the past, it was the only work they could get in that capacity.  I'm sure they'll keep working together, but I'm not so sure that 'Vic & Bob' have much of a future.

DSBoy

Do you think Sky or Dave could take the show (like Dave has done with Red Dwarf), or does it have to stay on the BBC or nowhere?