Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,459
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NEWS: Chris Morris on the set of Veep

Started by Neil, November 18, 2011, 11:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Keen-eyed twitterer @pirate_joe has pointed me to Baltimore Brew, a blog which keeps readers up-to-date with news about the city.  Given that much of Veep - the new project from Armando Iannucci -- is being shot there, they've blogged about the production, focusing on the economic impact it will have on Baltimore.  They seem to have done their research when it comes to the comedy of Armando Iannucci, mentioning the superb (and perhaps unfairly forgotten) "Clinton: His Struggle With Dirt", but they've seemingly failed to notice the presence of Chris Morris.

Given the headphones dangling round his neck, and of course, the fact that he's sat there on the set, you have to wonder what his actual involvement with the production is.  I'm guessing he may have some kind of involvement with the direction, rather than being there for an "I'm Alan Partridge" style cameo - but this is all speculation so far, and some of it is based on his characteristically garish shirt.  If anyone does have more information, give me a shout on twitter at @cookdandbombd or drop me an email at waynecarr@gmail.com

Veep is scheduled for an Autumn 2012 debut on HBO.  The pilot was written by Armando Iannucci and Simon Blackwell [nb]who previously worked with Chris Morris on Four Lions, and wrote one of the best episodes of the most recent series of Peep Show.[/nb]. Blackwell also has writing duties on the full series, with Iannucci directing, and Tony Roche [nb]writer of the superb recent Python drama, Holy Flying Circus.[/nb] writing, and acting as co-executive producer.  Also contributing to the scipt is Ian Martin who, as with Blackwell and Roche, has collaborated with Iannucci on The Thick Of It and In The Loop.  He's also recently released  The Coalition Chronicles.

With such a talented, proven collection of writers involved, and the excellent Julia Louis-Dreyfus in a starring role, Veep is already shaping up to be one of the most important comedy shows of 2012.  The possible involvement of Chris Morris is hugely intriguing - Morris and Iannucci last collaborated on political/media satire with The Smokehammer, back in 2002, although both also contributed to Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, with Iannucci making a welcome return to performing.

Neil

I just tried that Google thing the kids use.  It, apparently, lets you search the internets:

Quote from: http://www.afro.com/sections/arts_entertainment/story.htm?storyid=72668Julia Louis-Dreyfus, whose credits include Seinfeld and New Adventures of Old Christine, will star. VEEP was created by Armando Iannucci, who also directed the pilot episode. Directors for season one include Iannucci, Tristram Shapeero and Chris Morris. VEEP is executive produced by Iannucci, Christopher Godsick and Frank Rich. Joining as co-executive producers are Simon Blackwell, Tony Roche, with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Stephanie Laing producing. In addition to Iannucci, Blackwell and Roche, writers include Sean Gray, William Smith, Roger Drew, Ian Martin and Jesse Armstrong.  Iannucci previously wrote and directed the Academy Award- and BAFTA-nominated film In the Loop, a 2009 political satire, and the BAFTA Award-winning The Thick of It, a British TV series.

Noodle Lizard

Those headphones don't really look productiony enough to signify that he's there on a behind-the-camera basis - he could well be in it!

Also, if we really want to overanalyse, it looks like his birthmark is covered up which could also signify that he's there on an in-front-of-camera basis. 

But maybe that's just wishful thinking.  I like seeing him on TV.  Basis. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just Googled Christopher Godsick to check that he was a real person and not a crazy Morris pseudonym. He's a real person: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0324216/

Ambient Sheep

Thanks Neil and @pirate_joe for the heads-up.  Hilariously scoop-missing article there (although Afro got there first with the bare facts), did the writer not even wonder who the guy in the photo was?  You think he would have asked, if only so he could get it captioned properly.  Odd then, that the photo wasn't cropped to exclude Morris.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 18, 2011, 12:20:00 PMAlso, if we really want to overanalyse, it looks like his birthmark is covered up which could also signify that he's there on an in-front-of-camera basis.

I hate to say it, but his birthmark is on the other side of his face.

Anyway, we now know that he's directing anyway.

Noodle Lizard

Oh oops.  I didn't see Neil's second post. 

bitesize

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 18, 2011, 12:38:51 PM
Hilariously scoop-missing article there (although Afro got there first with the bare facts), did the writer not even wonder who the guy in the photo was?  You think he would have asked, if only so he could get it captioned properly.  Odd then, that the photo wasn't cropped to exclude Morris.

maybe he thought that was Armando? the piece discusses him (in the "Enduring Comic Wit" section) but there's no photo anywhere... but then you'd think they'd caption it with his name if they thought it was. it's all a bit bizarre.

i did particularly like the commenter underneath that posted "Holy shit! That's Fur-Q!". haha.

show isn't scheduled to air til autum next year though... is it too early to start getting very excited about this?

Neil

Heh, they've caught on now, and just tweeted this:

QuoteYes,fans, Chris Morris is a director for HBO's Veep, check our photo of him next to Julia Louis-Dreyfus in #baltimore http://t.co/6O8aAV63

bitesize, I'm already massively excited.  This is an astonishing line-up of talent.

Little Hoover

Do we know of any of the American writers involved in the show? For some reason I had in my head that Mitch Hurwitz was involved, but I don't think that's right now. Wouldn't want it to be a too Anglican view of American politics.

*edit* That was the ABC pilot that Mitch was involved with wasn't it.

Ignatius_S

All very exciting stuff - and a great read!

Quote from: Little Hoover on November 18, 2011, 02:19:31 PM
Do we know of any of the American writers involved in the show? For some reason I had in my head that Mitch Hurwitz was involved, but I don't think that's right now. Wouldn't want it to be a too Anglican view of American politics.

*edit* That was the ABC pilot that Mitch was involved with wasn't it.

I don't think any American writers have been linked to the show at this stage - sure you're right about Hurwitz being involved in that other pilot.

Artemis

Don't really have much to add other than this is very exciting news. The IMDB page does seem to have a full list of names involved in some capacity with this, some of whom appear to be American writers, or am I reading it wrong?

NaCl

if anyone knows how long VEEP will be filming in baltimore for and whereat, i'll be going on a stalk-road-trip next weekend if morris is even potentially going to be around the city. i'll sort through his trash.

NaCl

idc about double posting.

but apparently they were filming today (saturday the 18th). i don't really know what to think on how long the length of filming would be, especially with chris there. theyve been at it since late october, so i imagine it might be wrapping up soon.

i've got wednesday free, i dunno if its looking to brightly on things for them and him to be there

Artemis

Ignore me. Thought he was starring in it for a moment, there. Still, directing, eh? Super.

Neil

As klaus pointed out in the Comedy Chat thread, the first teaser is up:

BlodwynPig

El Unicornio, mang

It teased me by promising something I could watch and then saying "removed by user" when I hit play.

Artemis

You're not missing much. It's JLD spinning on a chair for about a second and a half. Pointless.

bithez

has morris ever directed anything really good, outside of radio? his best TV work always had professional career directors. brass eye in particular benefited from its director being very very accomplished technically.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: bithez on December 18, 2011, 11:05:39 AM
has morris ever directed anything really good, outside of radio? his best TV work always had professional career directors. brass eye in particular benefited from its director being very very accomplished technically.

Four Lions? And Jam, depending on your opinion on that.

chimpy

Looks like Chris Morris is directing Episode 7 of Veep. Check the clapperboard at the start of this promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My8PA7TBqJo