Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Irn Bru

Started by madhair60, February 06, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandow

Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle on the way home. Been yonks since I've tasted this stuff. It better be as good as everyone says or I will go mental.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Once all that lovely sugary goodness kicks in you'll be sorry, in a really burpy antisocial emission of gas.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 06, 2012, 06:21:31 PM
Oh they are awesome, I even lost a milk tooth on one. It has now become a sort of rite of passage every northerner must go through.

I lost milk teeth to Dennis The Menace and (I think) Thunderbirds bars. Though it could have been a Desperate Dan.

CaledonianGonzo

Sadly, confectionary nostalgists, McCowan's Ltd (the company that made these types of thing) went into administration towards the end of last year.

thepuffpastryhangman

I aint trippin 'bout the Fe thang. But so far all I've found is one reference to Apollo soft drinks...

QuoteJames Hole & Co Ltd Newark-on-Trent Newark-on-Trent Millgate Yellow metal sign 'A.K - GOLD MEDAL PARIS 1889' within a black circle yellow writing - 'HOLES FAMILY ALES' beneath 'NEWARK-ON-TRENT'. Metal sign - white on green background 'TABLE - APOLLO - WATERS' - soft drink name used by the brewery.

I'm not claiming grey real Iron Brew was a national phenomonem. Just that at least one bottle was made, a long time ago, and I saw it. Maybe I drank some.

There's an Apollo soft drinks company based in Staines nowdays but I don't think the two are connected.

It's hard to imagine now but at one time pop was often made locally. There were a limitless variety of fizzy nasties. All it involved was adding a wee bit o' different concentrate, like a sodastream really. They'd be delivered to the door by 'the pop man', a bit like Davenports ol' beer deliveries, but pop. And they were often associated with local breweries, as many of the processes were duplicated. I certainly remember the pop man coing down our street. He didn't come to us as we didn't have the dolla, but I knew folks who'd have all manner of obscure and vile sounding fizzy drinks delivered. Lime and lemon crush, that sort of thing. And lots of vanilla ones with differetn twists, stawberry for instance.

I'm not going to devote the rest of my natural or even much of my incredibly precious freeish time to looking but I will have attempt to unearth at least one reference to this own brand Iron Brew with real iron yo doubters.

Dead kate moss

Growing up in Kent and then moving to London, in 42 years I've  seen it on sale maybe twice... I don't really like fizzy pop anyway, so might have missed it. But of course as a softie Southern ponce I'd be unable to cope with the sheer strength and that-hardness of the drink and would most likely faint or explode if I tried it, so I will stick to watered down Dandelion & Burdock thanks.

Oh wait I think I did try it once and it was fucking revolting.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on February 06, 2012, 06:53:57 PM
I'm not going to devote the rest of my natural or even much of my incredibly precious freeish time to looking but I will have attempt to unearth at least one reference to this own brand Iron Brew with real iron yo doubters.

Other probable urban myths aside, Irn Bru gets its name from the microscopic quantities of ammonium ferric citrate it contains.

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on February 06, 2012, 06:53:57 PM
They'd be delivered to the door by 'the pop man', a bit like Davenports ol' beer deliveries, but pop.

Hence Irvine Welsh's character Juice Terry, Midlothian's leading ex-aereated water salesman.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 06, 2012, 06:41:50 PM
Sadly, confectionary nostalgists, McCowan's Ltd (the company that made these types of thing) went into administration towards the end of last year.

What?  But someone has taken over the manufacture of Wham Bars, right?  RIGHT?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on February 06, 2012, 07:30:14 PM
What?  But someone has taken over the manufacture of Wham Bars, right?  RIGHT?

Computer says 'No'.

(Though it might not have made the online news).

biggytitbo

Wasn't there an irn bru alco-pop at one time? There must have been because I remeber drinking gallons of it in the late 90s. Unless it was just irn bru and the 'Blotto' effect.

Consignia

One of those 'orrid WKD things is Irn Bru flavour.

Replies From View

Quote from: falafel on February 06, 2012, 04:42:04 PM
Got mine in th Pound shop in Balham a couple of weeks back which suggests it's on its way out.

We may have been in there together.  I would have been buying Original Source shampoo and conditioner probably.

99p store though, I am sure you'll agree.

Replies From View

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 06, 2012, 04:27:02 PM
Is Irn Bru ginger flavoured? I can't say I've ever noticed that. It seems to have no specific, recognisable flavour that I'm aware of.

I think it is of Haribot.

madhair60

On a self-promotional note, just dug up this:

Replies From View

Quote from: SOTS on February 06, 2012, 04:51:12 PM
Fiery Irn Bru is fantastic. I'm going to be very disappointed when it inevitably gets discontinued.

They should call it FIRN BRU (pronounced Fye-on-Bru) or it deserves to be axed pront.

Replies From View

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 06, 2012, 07:02:02 PM
Other probable urban myths aside, Irn Bru gets its name from the microscopic quantities of ammonium ferric citrate it contains.

LOL:  It'd be more apt to name it URN BRU (Urine Brew), eh readers!

biggytitbo

It is the same colour as a hangover wee.

Quote from: Consignia on February 06, 2012, 08:00:38 PM
One of those 'orrid WKD things is Irn Bru flavour.

They made two official ones too; one in the mid-00s which was mixed with Red Square vodka and one in the 90s, which was Irn Bru premixed with Bells whisky and which tasted, quite frankly, fucking RANK.

Incidentally, Irn Bru is the soft drink of KINGS and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2012, 08:04:37 PM
On a self-promotional note, just dug up this:

Am getting nothing through, Mr Hair.

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2012, 09:47:34 PM
Am getting nothing through, Mr Hair.

Oh dear.  Really?  It seems to be OK to me.  Oh well, it wasn't very good/funny.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19832728/barrsmars.PNG

Nobody Soup

I don't like it, it's one of the few times public health information in school put me off something as one time a home ec. teacher ladeled 14 spoons of sugar into a cup and claimed (probably correctly) that was in every can of irn bru.

still, I pulled a girl in london pretending I liked it, which is obviously quite convincing because I'm scottish. that's the real conspiracy, it's an elaborate campaign set up so scots can knock up your fine buxom cockney lasses.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2012, 11:07:34 PM
Oh dear.  Really?  It seems to be OK to me.  Oh well, it wasn't very good/funny.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19832728/barrsmars.PNG

I'm still getting a blank page.  Maybe it's just me.

Dead kate moss

Now that I think about it, the main reason I never bought Irn-Bru, apart from it rarely being available, or advertised by a cool polar bear

is that I thought the name made a mockery of the English language and so must be aimed at thickies who thought it was 'cool' to not spell things properly. If they'd have simply called it 'Iron Brew' I would have not had an issue with it. Apart from its vile taste of course.

Consignia

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2012, 11:14:10 PM
I'm still getting a blank page.  Maybe it's just me.

Are you at work or something? My place blocks all these online storage sites like dropbox so you can't see pictures stored on it.

thepuffpastryhangman

I looked up an old Cresta^ ad and beside it was an old Richard Williams Golden Shred ad and from there I saw another Richard Williams ad, this time for Heinz Pickle. His delivery is masterful. Not only that, 10 seconds in he uses a three word phrase I'd never heard said aloud before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6cQ_Y45l4&feature=related

chand

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on February 06, 2012, 05:01:41 PM
Nowt wrong with Irn Bru, now Tizer that's fucking foul, I defy you to get through a 2lt bottle like you would coke/diet coke without regretting taking me up on this.

Yeah, I had Tizer recently and it was fucking awful, I used to love that shit. Is it one of those things that has changed its recipe over time, or was I just less discerning as a child? Please someone, tell me facts.

Replies From View

Quote from: Consignia on February 06, 2012, 11:20:25 PM
Are you at work or something? My place blocks all these online storage sites like dropbox so you can't see pictures stored on it.

No, not at work.  Don't know what it could be.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: chand on February 07, 2012, 12:38:01 AM
Yeah, I had Tizer recently and it was fucking awful, I used to love that shit. Is it one of those things that has changed its recipe over time, or was I just less discerning as a child? Please someone, tell me facts.

I reckon it's the same, the taste is instantly recognisable and the first small glass is like a brief stroll down a rose tinted Nostalgia Avenue, but the second is tainted with a bitter chemical twang and a rancid aftertaste builds with every subsequent mouthful.

A big bottle to yourself is an arduous task to undertake, maybe it was always passable in small doses and we never hit 'the wall'.

Ms_Demeanour

I don't recall Apollo pop. If you lived in the Midlands or Derbyshire (which may or may not be the Midlands), your pop was delivered to your door by the Alpine Man.

I hated Dandelion and Burdock. I didn't like Cream Soda, either.