Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beanz Meanz Franz

Started by imitationleather, February 09, 2004, 09:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Well, the Franz Ferdinand album is finally out!

Obviously, I was first in the queue today, wearing my Franz Ferdinad sunglasses, stinking of Franz Ferdinand cologne and holding a Franz Ferdinand flag above my Franz Ferdinand head. There's a limited edition version (probably limited to 3,000,000 copies or something) with a bonus live CD. But it's in a digipack which means you can't take the sleeve out without making the box dogeared, and even if you manage to get it out, it's fucking impossible to get back in.

I needed to get there so early because they're playing a gig at HMV tonight and it's wristband only. Anyone else going? There were quite a lot of people up there, so I'm not sure if there are any wristbands left. Anyway, if you fancy your chances it's at the HMV near Oxford Circus tube.

So, any opinons on the album?

dan dirty ape

'S great! 'Beter On Holiday' is a belter.

boki

Quote from: "imitationleather"There's a limited edition version (probably limited to 3,000,000 copies or something) with a bonus live CD. But it's in a digipack which means you can't take the sleeve out without making the box dogeared, and even if you manage to get it out, it's fucking impossible to get back in.

They don't want you
To take it out

Sorry, I'll go sit in the corner.

TraceyQ

Stop liking them and start liking Stellastarr*. Franz Ferdinand are just sooo top 40.

european son

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Stop liking them and start liking Stellastarr*. Franz Ferdinand are just sooo top 40.

Stellastarr* are ok. i got their album to review (but was too lazy to bother in the end), and its nice and that, but sounds a touch too much like late (but pre-Bloodflowers, and thus not very good) Cure stuff mixed with some Joy Division and Interpol. "In The Walls" is good mind.

i think my problem is that i really really like Interpol, and i guess there's only enough room for one lot of dark New Yorker's in my world at any one time.

TraceyQ

What about the yeahsx3?

Are we style wankers?

european son

Quote from: "TraceyQ"What about the yeahsx3?

they're great, and also not dark enough to encroach on Interpol's territory in  my heart. the only bad thing i can say about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is that their damn gig sold out before i could be bothered to get out of bed and stumble to the union to try and buy tickets.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Are we style wankers?

i certainly hope so!

Are you going to see them in lovely old Brum in April? Me is. :-)

The Plaque Goblin

Hold on, if this album is only out today how can imitationleather vote it in at number 588 of 'The unofficial list of VerbWhores' 1000 favourite albums' on Friday?

Tell me I'm not going to need to do some editing.

european son

Quote from: "The Plaque Goblin"Hold on, if this album is only out today how can imitationleather vote it in at number 588 of 'The unofficial list of VerbWhores' 1000 favourite albums' on Friday?

Soulseek is a fine thing. we can all now hear music and judge it without having to listen to smarmy cunts like Steven Wells attempt to impress us by waving their promo copies about.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Unhappydisgustingwow"

Are you going to see them in lovely old Brum in April? Me is. :-)

You know it! Dust off your fishnet tights and pointy boots!

imitationleather

Quote from: "The Plaque Goblin"Hold on, if this album is only out today how can imitationleather vote it in at number 588 of 'The unofficial list of VerbWhores' 1000 favourite albums' on Friday?

I heard it ages ago via the gift of Soulseek, so it's not like I've been voting for stuff I've never heard.

Stellastar*? How about Loadofshit*? Oh yes, that was a good un. You're on top form today, immy. Ahhh yes.

fbb bastard

thats how you do it

absolutely fantastic album.....how could you not love an album that holds blondie's "atomic" in almost holy grail-like fervour

best opening track on an album for years too

imitationleather

Fookin 'ell, what a gig! I was right in the front row and it was absolutely brilliant. It wasn't as small as the Fopp gig, but at least I could actually see them this time. I actually think they sound better live than on record, their music just seems best suited to live performance. Has anyone listened to the bonus CD on the album yet? I'm going to now. Pah, I don't give a shit if they're a top 40 band, they're better than Bladelight and Superstarr* or whatever they're fucking called.

I've seen them three times now, and it just gets better and better...

mwude

Franz Ferdinand are just The Strokes doing covers of Blondie tunes.  & it's grrrreat!

I really should write for the NME with the ability to come out with shite like that.

I've been listening to the album a lot over the last couple of weeks.  I thought it was good to start with & it's still growing on me.  Dark of the matinee is marvellous.  As is the one where they start singing in German.  

Top 40 band they might be, but a bleedin good one.  Now the album's come out they're probably not fashionable anymore though are they?  "Blandz Ferdinand I call them.  Haven't you heard this new band on Chinese import that sound ten times more relevant?" - a snobbish musical git, yesterday.

falafel

I don't get this band. No, really.

'Take Me Out' is a pile of wank. I'd have forgotten it forever if it hadn't been for fucking Radio 1.

imitationleather

Oh, so you're the person who listens to Radio 1.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "fbb bastard"thats how you do it

absolutely fantastic album.....how could you not love an album that holds blondie's "atomic" in almost holy grail-like fervour

see, now he's said this I've no choice but to like them for all eternity.

imitationleather

So, now they're popular we're no doubt going to be seeing some tribute acts soon. Any suggestions of amusing puns for their names?

'Freindz of Ferdinand'

Well, clearly I don't have any amusing suggestions.

falafel

Quote from: "imitationleather"Oh, so you're the person who listens to Radio 1.

If I stop, will it go away?

Peking O

Quote from: "imitationleather"So, now they're popular we're no doubt going to be seeing some tribute acts soon. Any suggestions of amusing puns for their names?

Franz Ferdibland - Lounge versions
Frenzied Ferdinand - The same songs but played 5 times as fast
Frank Butchernand - Eastenders goes new wave

european son

i hate to admit this, but after being distinctly underwhelmed by Darts of Pleasure the first bunch of times i heard it and letting everybody (my ex, her best mate, imitationleather) know that, i've heard the album and been very much converted.

t'Franz are pretty good y'know.

MonkeyDrummer

I've got about 8 random mp3's downloaded before i buy it.

It's ok, but lacks any real class or originality, so is ultimately wank!

mr rou-rou

if you missed it in the other thread

whole album to be listened to here in flash format

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/luisterpaal/luisterpaalalbum.shtml?10617791+16381555

TraceyQ

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"if you missed it in the other thread

whole album to be listened to here in flash format

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/luisterpaal/luisterpaalalbum.shtml?10617791+16381555

Who let it in again? Splattermaaaaaaaaaac!!!!

(thank you)

imitationleather

Giving away albums that are already released isn't really cricket, is it?

mr rou-rou

what are you on about?

this is a link to listen to the new Fanzi album in flash format, but don't click on it because the band will go bankrupt or something detrimental and un-cricket like will happen and it may discourage you from buying the album.
here

there you go, at least the listener has now been forewarned.

edit: video for Darts of Pleasure, marvellous

Abbie

Theres some interesting reading on Franz in todays Guardian.  No really, see:

The lyrics, by Alex Kapranos and Nick McCarthy, are in the form of a monologue. It opens: "So if you're lonely/You know I'm here/Waiting for you/I'm just a cross-hair/Just a shot away from you." The song revolves around the repeated plea, "Take me out". It's not a ballgame the speaker wants to be taken out to. He or she evidently wants to be killed. Why?

But, what, as NME put it, do FF's chic-morose lyrics "really mean"? And could one make a better fist of it than Glasgow's Most Esteemed? A knowledgeable member of the class - looking and sounding like a younger Jack Black - took charge.

The lyrics of Take Me Out made sense, apparently, by digging deep into the band's name. On June 28 1914, the Archduke Franz Ferdinand visited Sarajevo, to review army manoeuvres. The Austro-Hungarian empire was seething. Narodna Odbrana, Serbia's secret patriotic society, planned assassination.

A first attempt, by grenade, failed. Later in the day, as the Archduke and his wife motored out of the city, Gavrilo Princip closed on the archducal car with a pistol. As one of the conspirators testified: "His first shot struck the Archduchess Sofia, in the abdomen. She was an expectant mother. She died instantly. The second bullet struck the Archduke close to the heart. He uttered only one word, 'Sofia', a call to his stricken wife. He died almost instantly."

The song, lookalike Jack suggested, recreates that pregnant moment (almost instantly) as the Archduke, contemplating his dead wife and never-to-be-born child, prays for the assassin's bullet - Take me out. Two world wars, the Holocaust and Hiroshima follow. What did Franz care. He wanted out.

It was an elegant explanation and highly instructive in a School of Rock kind of way. And it could, of course, be codswallop. Franz Ferdinand, apparently, let it be known in an interview that they chose their outlandish name "because they liked the sound".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1149053,00.html

Not Me

Re: Tribute Acts

Rio's got some free time now i think

imitationleather

*Bump*

Quote from: "TraceyQ, in another thread"The new Franz single has me wiggling about the kitchen most days. I read an interview with them where they claimed their sound was thus because they wanted "something girls would dance to". Job's a good 'un, fellas.

Ha. I used "thus" in a post. I win!

Now then, everyone knows what a fan of the Franz I am, but I really am getting pissed off by this single. I liked the song when I first heard it, but now it's just annoying the hell out of me. It just isn't as good as the previous two singles, and there's a load of other tracks that would've worked better as the next release. 'The Dark of the Matinee' (that's the title, you can stick all this 'Matinee' bollocks where the sun don't shine) is probably going to get to number 1, even though it's not as good as 'Darts of Pleasure' or 'Take Me Out'. Also, the fact that whenever I go into a newsagents they are on the cover of every fucking magazine (even Caravanning World) is also getting on my nerves. I would have much preferred 'Jacquline' to have come out next, but I reckon they'll probably release it during the Summer holidays.

Also, I hear they're on the verge of becoming massive in America. Too much too soon, too much too soon...