Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nighty Night to get a second series.

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 28, 2004, 11:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

I never even saw the first one, but for those of you who love and hate this thing, I'm just letting you know that it's coming back.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1247600,00.html
(free registration required)

Quote from: "The article in part"Nighty Night lives to see another day

John Plunkett
Monday June 28, 2004

8.30am

It ended in a bloodbath with the deaths of her husband, her fiancé and the local vicar. But despite the loss of virtually half its cast, Julia Davies's black comedy Nighty Night will return for a second series.

The show, which is produced by Steve Coogan's production company, Baby Cow, was universally acclaimed when it aired on BBC3 - and later BBC2 - earlier this year and attracted passable ratings of around 1.2 million for BBC2.

Billed as a "west country version of Fatal Attraction", it mined such unlikely subjects as terminal illness, disability and suicide for their comic potential.

"It was a bit of a bloodbath but certain people survive," said Coogan's business partner, Henry Normal. He suggested the second run might even be "darker than the first".

[...plot extracts from first series and comments from critics cut...]

Explaining her creation, Davies said: "On one hand, I think that everyone, deep down, is a good person. But then, at the same time, I think the world is so cruel and horrible and I find it so upsetting. I wouldn't even know how to write soft, sensitive stuff. Or how to make it funny, at least."

Davies first sprang to prominence on BBC2's Human Remains, another Baby Cow production, alongside Rob Brydon. She also appeared in BBC2 sketch show Big Train and Chris Morris's Jam.

Jemble Fred

Here is my comment on the whole affair, sighing and moaning and quoting that bit about 'making stuff funny' and.... what's the point? The unfunny people have won. I see very little point in following the world of Comedy anymore, be it in TVm radio, whatever. ISIHAC is all there is, and that's only got an episode or two left in the current series.

Dr David V

Forget Box of Slice, this will be the end of comedy. BBC are definetely trying to do another Ricky Gervais thing, aren't they?

Regular John

Oh my god! It's going to be EVEN DARKER!

Hopefully funnier aswell!

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Regular John"Oh my god! It's going to be EVEN DARKER!

Hopefully funnier aswell!

funnier?

I'd be happy if it were funny first!

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I see very little point in following the world of Comedy anymore...
So lots more time for exploring obscure musics then, Jem. Huzzah!  ;-)

Regular John

I have a splendid idea, combine the second series of Nighty Night with the second series of Mighty Boosh and have Nighty Boosh! Thus freeing up a half hour slot for something nice and ethnic!

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Regular John"the second series of Mighty Boosh

You sick cunt John. Those words will echo around my mind for a long time now, as the tears roll down.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Regular John"Thus freeing up a half hour slot for something nice and ethnic!
What, 3 Non Blondes?