Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year

Started by Replies From View, January 07, 2013, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

I thought we should have a separate thread covering the 50th anniversary television specials, merchandise etc., since the subject doesn't fall perfectly into only the Old Doctor Who or Series 7 threads.

This page:  http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-merchandise/ has brought the dedicated 50th anniversary logo to my attention, which is surely a good enough reason as any for starting this thread.  I imagine we'll probably be seeing it a lot more over the next several months:

So that's the McGann logo filled in with Hartnell era howlaround - very nice.

It looks lovely in situ; far nicer than the standard blue/shiny McGann one:

These books have a slightly different logo but might be an unfinished mock-up:

And of course there's the stamps:

I think it's great to see all eleven Doctors arranged together without heirarchy.  It's probably the first time they've done this without putting the post-2005 Doctors centre stage. 

I really love the updated logo and hope they retain it after this for future non-current Doctor Who releases.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on January 07, 2013, 08:01:32 PM
So that's the McGann logo filled in with Hartnell era howlaround - very nice.

The McGann one is essentially the Pertwee one - as is shown on his stamp.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on January 07, 2013, 08:05:17 PM
The McGann one is essentially the Pertwee one - as is shown on his stamp.

It is slightly different (compare the shapes of the D and the C).  This is the McGann one rather than the Pertwee one (Target novelisations, VHS releases etc. generally used the most recent logo whichever Doctor they were presenting[nb]Eg.:  [/nb], so the McGann logo has been used on all the Classic era DVDs and been carried over to the 50th), although the former is obviously based on the latter.

Edley

Confirmed guests for the BFI's screening of An Unearthly Child on Saturday:

Waris Hussein (Director)
Carole Ann Ford (Susan Foreman)
William Russell (Ian Chesterton)
Jeremy Young (Kal the Caveman)
Mark Gatiss (Mark Gatiss)
Donald Tosh (Script Editor)
Brian Hodgson (Radiophonic Workshop)
Clive Doig (Vision Mixer)
Jessica Carney (William Hartnell's grand-daughter and biographer)

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on January 07, 2013, 08:10:37 PM
It is slightly different (compare the shapes of the D and the C). 

Yes I see you're right. I don't know why they tinkered with it really - it's a subtle change, but the Pertwee one has a nice fat symmetry to the font that I prefer. Plus, it was there first!

Thank Morbius they didn't go with the wretched CGI abominog that is the Sylvester McCoy one, though. Pee-eugh!

biggytitbo

The cliffhanger to S7 which leads directly to the 50th special is:

Clara: Doctor, is that you?
The Doctor: Doctor? Doctor Who?

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on January 07, 2013, 08:51:17 PM
Thank Morbius they didn't go with the wretched CGI abominog that is the Sylvester McCoy one, though. Pee-eugh!

Yeah - one reason to be pleased that we had the McGann movie is that we didn't end up stuck with the McCoy logo on all Classic Who merchandise!

The 50th anniversary Doctor Who Monopoly set has been reworked to include the new logo and some other design tweaks (but it's still the same missed opportunity it was before).

Before:

After:

('Community Chest' and 'Chance' are now 'Gallifrey' and 'U.N.I.T')

weekender

The above Monopoly set is down to £18.69 on Play.com at the moment, if anyone's tempted.

biggytitbo

The design is much nicer in the before version of the monopoly set isnt it?

BritishHobo

I wasn't too bothered about this eleven tie-in ebooks thing[nb]eleven 'eshorts' each written by a British children's author[/nb] until I realized it's one per Doctor, which should be interesting. First up is a Hartnell story by Eoin 'Hitchhiker's Guide 6' Colfer, out on January 23rd. Presumably they'll each be out on the 23rd of the month (November 23rd will see a physical book release containing all 11).

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 07, 2013, 10:08:17 PM

In its colours, yes, but I prefer Matt Smith not dominating the final version.  There's something nice about the way they're presenting the eleven Doctors this year, completely without hierarchy and letting the new series ones blend in with all the rest.

The balance in the new collage is superior I think.  Tom Baker is positioned much more effectively with his two hands visible next to the monopoly logo like that, and Hartnell is now balancing Smith rather than lost in the mix.

I can't get too excited about that monopoly set though.  Even though I don't like monopoly I might have bothered with this if they had used locations for the squares instead of episodes ('The End of Time Part 2' as the final square on the board?  Come on...), and generally put more thought into the whole thing.

biggytitbo

Moffat's writing e 50th right now, according to an interview he did with his similarly wiry haired son on YouTube.

I actually had a dream about it last night and all the Doctors were there, including McGann, who when he appeared (wearing Colin Bakers outfit for some reason) all the other characters just stopped and gawped at him. Hartnell was there too, played by a penguin with a false nose on.

Norton Canes

So when do we get Doctor Who Cluedo?

I think it was Lady Adrasta in the Panopticon with the ion bonder.

Replies From View

When you said Cluedo I thought you said "Guess Who".  Which might work as well; maybe when we're up to thirty Doctors though.

And when you said "ion bonder" I thought you said "iron border".  I didn't understand what that meant, but I was picturing a Guess Who made of iron.  It was good.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2013, 10:40:03 AM
When you said Cluedo I thought you said "Guess Who".  Which might work as well; maybe when we're up to thirty Doctors though.

You could use the 'Doctors' from the Brain of Mobius. There wad even a ginger one if I remember right.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on January 07, 2013, 08:01:32 PM

The "Doctor Who" logo is OK, but that TARDIS logo is utter shite. Looks like it was knocked up in about 10 minutes by someone who couldn't much be arsed. (Mind you tbh all three of them look a bit like that but the "Doctor Who" one carries it best.)

The Roofdog

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2013, 10:40:03 AM

Nah, you could do one just for Pertwee

Norton Canes

Nah, just do it for the monsters and villains.

"Are you a villain?"
"Yes."

"Do you wear black?"
"Yes."

"Have you got a crow on your head?"
"Yes."

"Are you..."

Dark Sky

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 08, 2013, 07:27:05 AM
Moffat's writing e 50th right now, according to an interview he did with his similarly wiry haired son on YouTube.

Hurray!

(Here's that video by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eu5xtc-x3k )

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 08, 2013, 09:12:47 AM
So when do we get Doctor Who Cluedo?

I think it was Lady Adrasta in the Panopticon with the ion bonder.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 08, 2013, 11:51:19 AM
Nah, you could do one just for Pertwee

May have to plug the odd gap with Peter Sellers in later Pink Panther films, but I think you're onto something.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 07, 2013, 10:08:17 PM
It's saving grace is Rich Uncle Pennybags holding the Seventh Doctor's question-mark umbrella on the board design.

Thankfully the UNIT and Gallifrey cards have a Who theme about them.

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on January 08, 2013, 11:24:33 PM
It's saving grace is Rich Uncle Pennybags holding the Seventh Doctor's question-mark umbrella on the board design.

Thankfully the UNIT and Gallifrey cards have a Who theme about them.
Yeah, but 'Go to Jail' should be 'Go to Shada' for full authenticity, surely.

Dark Sky

These 'themed' Monopoly boards are made very cheaply by some company which lets you have your own design printed on the boards.  They're really ill thought out, rarely have anything decent like customised playing pieces (I'm gobsmacked they've renamed Community Chest and Chance now), and have a really high RRP.

I may still buy this one.

Replies From View

Customised playing pieces for this version are:

McCoy's umbrella
Tennant's sonic screwdriver
T. Baker's scarf
Davison's celery
Smith's bow tie
Troughton's recorder

I just think they could have thought it through a bit more.  The standard monopoly has a dog:  use K-9; that kind of thing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on January 09, 2013, 04:14:32 AM

McCoy's umbrella
T. Baker's scarf
Davison's celery
Smith's bow tie
Troughton's recorder

I just think they could have thought it through a bit more.  The standard monopoly has a dog:  use K-9; that kind of thing.

That's just such an odd selection, I'd have gone for:

The Tardis
The Doctor (All 11 should be available)
A Dalek
K-9
Peri's Boobs
A sexy Zygon

Quote from: Dark Sky on January 09, 2013, 12:13:05 AM
These 'themed' Monopoly boards are made very cheaply by some company which lets you have your own design printed on the boards.  They're really ill thought out, rarely have anything decent like customised playing pieces (I'm gobsmacked they've renamed Community Chest and Chance now), and have a really high RRP.

I may still buy this one.

The Star Wars one which came out ages ago (and was one of the first of the themed editions released iirc) was a pretty decent affair, with a lot of thought put in to it, but they do seem to have got worse over time rather sadly.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Replies From View on January 09, 2013, 04:14:32 AM

McCoy's umbrella
T. Baker's scarf
Davison's celery
Smith's bow tie
Troughton's recorder

Oh it has customised pieces! Oh, nice!

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 09, 2013, 04:20:46 AM
The Star Wars one which came out ages ago (and was one of the first of the themed editions released iirc) was a pretty decent affair, with a lot of thought put in to it, but they do seem to have got worse over time rather sadly.

Someone told me that the Star Wars one was made by Waddingtons, but since then Monopoly was sold to another company so all the other customised ones are rather crap.

This Who one sounds like they're actually making an effort!

kidsick5000

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on January 08, 2013, 01:28:09 PM

In an alternative timeline, Jon Pertwee stayed in the role for the entirety of the 70's, evolving from Edwardian Dandy to Disco Daddy.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dark Sky on January 09, 2013, 06:07:52 PM
This Who one sounds like they're actually making an effort!

But seemingly randomly-arranged episodes when they should have picked places.  And two of those episodes are The End of Time, and one of them is Warriors of the Deep.  It is most vexing.

daf

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 09, 2013, 06:16:06 PM
In an alternative timeline, Jon Pertwee stayed in the role for the entirety of the 70's, evolving from Edwardian Dandy to Disco Daddy.

Or 'Kung Fu Rod Stewart' as they call him on the 'Bigger on the Inside' podcast!