Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Purple Tentacle's Carbon Copy Mis-Adventure

Started by Purple Tentacle, August 13, 2004, 11:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

In another effort to get whores to submit their own short films, and especially after the superb Dot Jam session, I'm submitting another one of my student films for your consideration.

CARBON COPY Feb 2001 - 33MB, XVID CODEC

HERE is one of those torrent things, which might be a bit easier on my bandwidth, but feel free to use my bandwidth when it doesn't work or downloads at 0.1kbps.

Xvid codec HERE
Xvid for Mac is HERE apparently, although I haven't tested it.

The year 2001 was our final year at university, and my friend Paul and I, having worked together on our previous years' output, decided to make two seperate films after the horror and fighting that dogged our previous year's pretentious shite.

I went into a wet park and filmed Time to Go (still available for download), and, after another on-set spat, Paul went off to film Carbon Copy.

He went in with one of the strangest scripts I had ever seen, something about a time-travelling doughnut and human cloning. The protaganist would travel scientific research sites investigating human cloning while eating doughnuts, before meeting himself after his car broke down.

I wasn't there during the day they went out filming, but advance reports were that it was an unmitigated disaster.

A month or so past until our week on the Avid arrived, and, at 9am, I turned up to cut together whatever it was Paul had done on that strange day.

I was presented with 4 hours of jumble. 4 hours of our friend, Dan Brough, driving around Kent and acting... uniquely... in front of Pfeizer's, pharmaceutical companies and, bizarrely, a large section filmed in the car park of an Ashford service station.

For 4 hours we sat through the cacophony of images, tearing our hairs out thinking how the hell we were going to get anything into a sub-8 minute piece.

We both found, however, that the bits we laughed at, rewound and enjoyed the most were the bits filmed IN BETWEEN the scripted parts. And so I suggested dumping the 3 hours of scripted nonsense, and concentrate instead on editing together the pre and post take rushes. Paul reluctantly agreed, on the condition we keep the baffling ending.

Paul had very astutely decided to film everything on two cameras for ease of editing, so we agreed to split the picture in two and edit the whole thing in split/duel screen to "highlight the nature of cloning", apparently. Christ.

Now every bastard does split-screen on everything, even in Hollyoaks, but three years ago we were the only ones who ever did it. Apart from all those people in the 60 and 70s. And Jackie Brown.  Oh fuck off.

Anyway, let me know what you think.  

Incidentally the bloody thing got a considerably better mark than Time to Go, much to my frustration.

It may also be best to play it on full screen on yer media players. The first ten seconds are also black and silent, sorry.

More movies please whores!

Rats

I wish I had rich parents :( That was really good. I thought, he's getting extra marks for the gimmick here but the ending was class. Yours was still miles better though, punch him right in the face next time you see him.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Rats"I wish I had rich parents :(

We don't have rich parents!

They just give you the equipment that you ask for at uni, the price you pay is having  mickey mouse degree when you come out.

I take it that torrent thing isn't working.... I don't understand them at all.

fanny splendid

That was pretty good. I enjoyed the ending with the doughnut, too.

Lt Plonker

Heh. Very good. I liked the split screen, it was fun to watch. Who was the guy at the beginning who was giving your chum the aggro?

I really ough to get my Fly animation finished this summer. That's way overdue for a seeing to.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"Who was the guy at the beginning who was giving your chum the aggro?

Security guard at Pfeizer's.

It's worth noting that, on a course where we had to make a 16mm film, there is about 30 seconds of actual film used, the rest is all done on video cameras.