Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you think that’s wise, sir? New Dad’s Army film.

Started by Ignatius_S, April 28, 2014, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: doppelkorn on April 29, 2014, 03:52:02 PM
To be clear, you prefer it if Bill Nighy and Toby Jones died, rather than started work on this film?

Is Dad's Army that special to you?

To be fair, Stevie81 didn't specify that. Perhaps the wish is for them to live long, rich, full lives while the project struggles to get made and they die at ripe old ages before filming commences.

Replies From View

To be clear, you prefer it if Bill Nighy and Toby Jones died, rather than started work on this film?

Maybe he's just hoping that the film's pre-production is deferred for so long that all the cast are killed or die naturally before filming actually commences.

I'm personally very happy for them to make this film as long as the ending credits have the cast all marching for me to do my customary death tally once per year.  Though for the first time ever I may end up dying before some members of a Dad's Army cast.  Quite a depressing thought I am sure you will agree.

Edit:  Fuck you for posting that before I finished typing this, SBD.

Gulftastic

Quote from: mook on April 29, 2014, 11:14:57 AM
rik mayall as hodges. nah, that's terrible. i can't think of anyone to play hodges.

David Mitchell.

Replies From View

Quincey

Let's do something similar to My Robocop Remake and make our own version of Dad's Army. It could be a short sketch with several of us, or a load of short sketches joined together to make a film.

BritishHobo

Richard Littlejohn has been inspired by this film to do something tired and trite and write another fucking article about what Dad's Army would be like if it was set in 'modern' day, cue jokes about recycling bins and foreign imports.

Quincey

I can imagine a scene where Mainwaring is telling the platoon not to buy the Daily Mail  because of its historic support for fascism. Did Littlejohn add that in or was it all political correctness health and safety can't be racist bollocks.   

willpurry

Quote from: doppelkorn on April 29, 2014, 11:02:26 AM
Larry Lamb would be an excellent Bill Pertwee actually.

Could Chris Barrie have a role here?

Naah.  Paul Ritter for Hodges.

Stevie81

Might be what we need to prevent these embarrassing remakes from shitting on everything that's sacred.

Collateral damage and all.

(No, I don't REALLY want them to die, I just want the remake - all remakes - to die)

Don_Preston

willpurry

Quote from: Don_Preston on May 01, 2014, 02:18:05 PM
Jesus, they're not remaking that as well are they?!!?

Arnie as Captain Square of Eastgate!

JesusAndYourBush

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Replies From View on April 29, 2014, 02:59:32 PMOnce the entire film is cast we can start betting on the extent to which the new actors' deaths will match the order of the originals.

This made me do an actual LOL.  Well done, sir.

The Roofdog

Bad Ambassador

Casting has been announced:

Toby Jones as Capt. Mainwaring.
Bill Nighy as Sgt. Wilson.
Tom Courtenay as L/Cpl. Jones.
Blake Harrison as Pte. Pike.
Bill Paterson as Pte. Frazer.
Danny Mays as Pte. Walker.
Michael Gambon as Pte. Godfrey
Also starring Catherine Zeta-Jones as a journalist, Annette Crosbie, Sarah Lancashire (as Mrs. Pike?), Alison Steadman (as Mrs. Fox?) and Mark Gatiss (as Rev. Farthing?).

koeman

Maurice Yeatman

Who plays Private Sponge?  (Ironically, the 83-year-old Colin Bean reportedly died in the middle of one.)

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 08, 2014, 12:03:36 PM
Danny Mays as Pte. Walker.
You should have written 'Danny **** as Pte. Walker', then watched the forum explode.

Ignatius_S

QuoteA newly released synopsis reads as follows:

It is 1944 and World War II is reaching its climax. The Allies are poised to invade France and finally defeat the German army. But in Walmington-on-Sea, morale among the Home Guard is low. Their new mission then – to patrol the Dover army base – is a great chance to revive spirits and reputation, that is until glamorous journalist Rose Winters arrives to write about their exploits, setting the pulses racing and putting the local women on red alert. MI5 then discover a radio signal sent direct to Berlin from Walmington-on-Sea. There's a spy on the loose! The outcome of the war is suddenly at stake, and it falls to our unlikely heroes to stand up and be counted.

[Director] Parker is best known for spy-spoof sequel Johnny English Reborn and 2007's St Trinian's remake. The film's script is by Hamish McColl, who wrote Johnny English Reborn and Mr Bean's Holiday. Creator Perry is on board as a producer, but recently told the BBC he was letting the new creative team "get on with it".
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/08/catherine-zeta-jones-joins-cast-of-dads-army-film

Can't wait.

koeman

Zeta-Jones is playing glamorous journalist Rose Winters, then. I had hoped she'd be playing Cheeseman of the Eastgate Gazette.

doppelkorn

Jake Thingray

Wait until it comes on television, on a Sunday afternoon. In a way, am relieved Mark Gatiss is in it, as I automatically avoid anything involving him, so have an excuse to miss it. Tallulah, really!'s stuff earlier about Nighy is bang on and highly amusing. Have never seen any of Hamish McColl's stage work, so objectively speaking he may actually be talented, but my brother has shown off about working with him and claimed to know him.

Gurke and Hare

Is it the same Hamish McColl who's written some bad comedy on Radio 4?

Tiny Poster

Shurely Andy Parsons should play the verger, what with them having the exact same voice

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Tiny Poster on October 09, 2014, 12:32:55 AM
Shurely Andy Parsons should play the verger, what with them having the exact same voice

His Reverence isn't going to like you saying that.

Maurice Yeatman

Filming's started. Toby Jones (Mainwaring); Blake Harrison with Tom Courtenay (Pike and Jones); Michael Gambon (Godfrey).

Maurice Yeatman

The official photo, as opposed to the papped ones above.  Don't want to pre-judge too much given the talent there, but it does look faintly dispiriting.

Glebe

The cast is good and they really look the part... could be some hope for this after all.