Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:33:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 2015

Started by Thomas, January 17, 2015, 10:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

selectivememory

Nice one. I hope Cunk's short films and Limmy's bits are continued, and that Stanhope's recycling of bits of his act from years before is dropped. Last year's series was very good, and it should be much better than the recent 2014 Wipe mostly because he won't have to rush anything he wants to cover.

up_the_hampipe

As long as he doesn't do another "Reasons To Be Fearful" song then it should be great!

SimonJT

Apparently this series is going to be entirely musical.

Thursday

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 17, 2015, 10:27:17 PM
As long as he doesn't do another "Reasons To Be Fearful" song then it should be great!

I hope it contains more unexpected elements, especially those that irrationally upset his fans.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The time for Charlie Brooker is past. We're in a post-Brooker era now.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: selectivememory on January 17, 2015, 10:17:35 PM
Nice one. I hope Cunk's short films and Limmy's bits are continued, and that Stanhope's recycling of bits of his act from years before is dropped.

Apparently Limmy was asked to do a segment for the 2014 show but was too busy with writing, so I'm guessing he'll probably be sitting this series out as well, which is a shame.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: selectivememory on January 17, 2015, 10:17:35 PM
Nice one. I hope Cunk's short films and Limmy's bits are continued, and that Stanhope's recycling of bits of his act from years before is dropped. Last year's series was very good, and it should be much better than the recent 2014 Wipe mostly because he won't have to rush anything he wants to cover.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/jan/28/philomena-clunk-favourite-tv

Doesn't say anything but she is being used to promote the show, so who knows?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 28, 2015, 12:16:37 PM
Apparently Limmy was asked to do a segment for the 2014 show but was too busy with writing

And taking pictures of bread he made.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's very easy to make 'fake stupidity' tedious and not very funny (see any number of fb groups made in reaction to Britain First and similar). Too often you can hear the derision of the author coming through. But Philomena Cunk's 'voice' (in print and on Wipe) does have a certain consistency and believability which helps to largely distance the effect of authorial voice.

It isn't all that in-jokey either. A good creation.

BritishHobo

It's funny, because Shitpeas has been there since near enough the beginning, but they've never been quite so self-aware of his popularity or position in the show.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I do think it's lost something a bit in trying to fit everything in (Brooker's great at discussing TV and current affairs, but when he has enough time to focus specifically on one), but he's still capable of cranking out some brilliant stuff. Cunk herself is a good example of how funny he can still be. Moments of Wonder last year was superb.

Buttress

DrunkCountry

Quote@charltonbrooker: NEW WEEKLY WIPE TOMORROW 10pm BBC2 feat. Hebdo, Royalty, Page 3, HoloLens, Morgana Robinson, Peas, Cunk

Tiny Poster

Hold on, does Diane Morgan write her Wipe contributions, or do Hazeley and Morris? Because that Guardian piece seems somewhat off and fan-fic, for want of a better term. Also it's not particularly funny or cutting.

Dead Soon

Quote from: DrunkCountry
Morgana Robinson

No! I don't want that.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Tiny Poster on January 28, 2015, 05:17:02 PM
Hold on, does Diane Morgan write her Wipe contributions, or do Hazeley and Morris? Because that Guardian piece seems somewhat off and fan-fic, for want of a better term. Also it's not particularly funny or cutting.

The Doctor Who bits let it down. It would be more coherent for Cunk to be unaware of the old series, rather than remembering and comparing it to the new one (which has been running for 10 years now).

Jockice

The whole Philomena Cunk thing is a complete mystery to me anyway. It reminds me of Karl Pilkington in that some people I know (and have generally good taste) find her/him absolutely hilarious but I can't even see why it's supposed to be funny.

It must just be me.

Spiteface

Quote from: Jockice on January 28, 2015, 07:16:42 PM
The whole Philomena Cunk thing is a complete mystery to me anyway. It reminds me of Karl Pilkington in that some people I know (and have generally good taste) find her/him absolutely hilarious but I can't even see why it's supposed to be funny.

It must just be me.

It's not just you. I don't get the fascination either.

up_the_hampipe

I don't get the Cunk fascination either, I think Shitpeas is a lot better with it. But I wouldn't compare it to Karl Pilkington. As far as we know, he's supposed to be a real person. Cunk is just a character.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Jockice on January 28, 2015, 07:16:42 PM

I think with Karl it's that he's quite likable and does have a genuinely odd way of thinking.

I think Philomena Cunk is fine, but nothing to get too excited about.  A bit like the Randy/Lorde thing in the last season of South Park - entire articles written about that.

BritishHobo

I know I'm veering off topic but fuck me, I'm glad I'm not alone in bewilderment over the Lorde thing. I thought it was the worst example of their stretching a joke out on South Park, but for some reason it was hugely popular.

Anyway. Maybe we should nip this in the bud so we don't end up with a repeat of Cunkgate '14.

mikerus

New trailer's got Morgana doing her Russell Brand in it.
http://youtu.be/3EAudqoaPg8

Jockice

Quote from: Dead Soon on January 28, 2015, 05:26:14 PM
No! I don't want that.

I don't either. When she did her show on Channel 4 with that Gilbert character, someone tried to stir up controversy about it on a disability forum I'm a member of.

It was so obviously a blatant attempt by the channel/the show's production team/someone close to Morgana herself to gain publicity (featuring several 'outraged' people who had never contributed to the board and never would again) that it was laughable. Unlike the show itself.

BritishHobo

Oh, I'm so glad somebody is roasting Russell Brand for his politics. Finally.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on January 29, 2015, 12:37:39 PM

I don't either. When she did her show on Channel 4 with that Gilbert character, someone tried to stir up controversy about it on a disability forum I'm a member of.

It was so obviously a blatant attempt by the channel/the show's production team/someone close to Morgana herself to gain publicity (featuring several 'outraged' people who had never contributed to the board and never would again) that it was laughable. Unlike the show itself.

Oh yes, I forgot. Just like Derek, Gilbert wasn't meant to be disabled at all.

Brundle-Fly

Putting the iffiness of Gilbert aside, I think Morgana Robinson is very talented and has been turning in some great performances in recent shows, Very Important People, Toast Of London, Psychobitches,,,

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 29, 2015, 12:55:11 PM
Oh, I'm so glad somebody is roasting Russell Brand for his politics. Finally.

Remember how his autobiography was called My Booky Wook? I hope there is a joke that references this.

Steven

Fuck all this Comedy Character/Russell Brand parodying/social commentary/sub-Pilkington shite, I know Charlie reads this, just get fucking Clare Harrison on. Her dilettantism covers all of these facets, she's cheap and she's KEEN.

BPFHAY

Because I'm terrible with names and don't really know who Morgana is, I thought that was who mikerus was referring to at first.