Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Who Re Dooooo

Started by Mr_Simnock, August 01, 2016, 02:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Yes re do, not red boot, fucking hate that term thanks to it's ubiquity and overuse. Any way the main point of this here thread is that although I do dislike a lot of Dr Who due to the dreadful production of them I do really like the stories behind them. Looking back in the 'Old Dr Who' thread I have been wondering about how a modern remake (cash no problem for arguments sake) of some of the early Dr Who series. Are there any particular episodes from the first 4 Doctors series that would be marvellous if remade today with all the amazing CGI and other effects now possible?

Replies From View

Many classic era stories would make great new era stories, but they'd probably be buggered up with a hyperactive pace and things like the sonic screwdriver nowadays being able to solve everything.

I don't much think any classic era stories would be improved by being remade, but I'd like the remaining missing episodes to be done as animations in the appropriate style and tone, just to fill the horrible gaps.

madhair60

Timelash, CGI Borad, replace Baker with Dangermouse

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on August 01, 2016, 02:13:59 PM
Timelash, CGI Borad, replace Baker with Dangermouse

This is true actually.  Pretty much all the Colin Baker stories would be improved by replacing him with a CGI cock on stilts really.  They could even keep the jacket, just to prove that it wasn't the jacket that was to blame for his atrocious acting.  The scripts would seem better because we would actually encounter the Doctor's words rather than the repeated stage direction 'FAT MAN BELLOWS TALENTLESSLY ACROSS ROOM'.

Norton Canes

Don't know about stories from the first four Doctors - the one I'd like to see made 'properly' is the Davison's Warriors of the Deep, with a CGI Myrka, decent Silurian/Sea Devil costumes and dark, decrepit sets, as described in the script.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 01, 2016, 03:52:33 PM
Don't know about stories from the first four Doctors - the one I'd like to see made 'properly' is the Davison's Warriors of the Deep, with a CGI Myrka, decent Silurian/Sea Devil costumes and dark, decrepit sets, as described in the script.

They should have done a special edition DVD release of that story, I reckon.  Darken the lighting a bit to hide the crappy sets, add some CGI dusting here and there, replace the Myrka with a CGI or physical puppet creature, and make the script less shit.

And, I dunno.  Add something about the sixth Doctor not being canon.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on August 01, 2016, 03:54:36 PM
Add something about the sixth Doctor not being getting shot out of a canon.

Spoon of Ploff

Go full body horror in The Ark In Space.

But not Seeds of Doom.

Deanjam

The only classic story that should be remade for the new series is The War Machines, so we can all finally accept as canon that Doctor Who is his actual name.

purlieu

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 01, 2016, 02:05:26 PMAre there any particular episodes from the first 4 Doctors series that would be marvellous if remade today with all the amazing CGI and other effects now possible?
No.
Quote from: Deanjam on August 01, 2016, 05:02:19 PM
The only classic story that should be remade for the new series is The War Machines, so we can all finally accept as canon that Doctor Who is his actual name.
Currently reading the novelisation of The Web Planet, in which not only is he referred to as Doctor Who by the narrator, but even by the characters. It's making it really quite difficult to read.

thenoise

Quote from: Deanjam on August 01, 2016, 05:02:19 PM

The computer made a mistake!

Replies From View

"Doctor, who is required."

That's what the redone version should more unambiguously say.  More of a pause there.

purlieu

Look at this fucking mess

Replies From View

It doesn't help that you've spilled water over the rest of the page.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Replies From View on August 01, 2016, 02:56:15 PM
This is true actually.  Pretty much all the Colin Baker stories would be improved by replacing him with a CGI cock on stilts really.  They could even keep the jacket, just to prove that it wasn't the jacket that was to blame for his atrocious acting.  The scripts would seem better because we would actually encounter the Doctor's words rather than the repeated stage direction 'FAT MAN BELLOWS TALENTLESSLY ACROSS ROOM'.

True his TV stories were poor and Colin could not salvage his Doctor through his acting but in the audio plays, his doctor is a lot more sympathetic and the writing suits the character. I say this as someone who thinks the Colin Baker years was the worst era of classic Who.

I'd like to see a modern version of the Dalek Masterplan, don't know who would get cast as Magic err Mavic Chen though?

samadriel

Camp Tramp

Quote from: samadriel on August 01, 2016, 07:42:13 PM
Bill Bailey?

Needs to be someone who combines the gravitas of Tywin Lannister with the insanity of Ramsey Bolton.

So Bill Oddie then.

daf

Quote from: thenoise on August 01, 2016, 05:58:23 PM
The computer made a mistake . . .

Dodo ate a cake,
Ben saved Polly from a wally,
Inferno's flashy snake.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on August 01, 2016, 08:25:32 PM
Inferno's flashy snake.

Wasn't that Kinda?  Inferno was the one with the patchy eyes.

daf